Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you might remember me mentioning Skyler limping it starting in July. We treated as a strain. Still limped so off to vet. Vet treated as a strain bit with concern of ccl tear. We kept him quiet for about 3 weeks, still limped with any activity so we did xrays. Our thought was if he needed surgery we wanted it done while we were on vacation & readjusted our time off just in case. Xrays didn't show a clear injury and on exam he didn't show any signs of stress or pain. I made a little video for our vet to watch the same day as X-rays because he never shown any signs in the office. Since the xrays were negative but vet believed that there was something going on she referred us to an ortho vet. We have a fantastic relationship with our vet clinic.

A few days later we drove an hour south to the ortho vet, video & xrays in hand. He walked in after viewing both & stated "I know what's wrong". He sat on the floor with Skyler, palpated him in different areas then said "the problem is here", touched Skyler's calf and he immediately reacted! First time. Vet later tried again, same result. Bilateral gastrocnemius strain with fractured fabullas (tiny sesamoid bone used as a shock absorber for the muscle). He showed me on the X-rays too.

Two days later we took another hour trip south for physical therapy since it's a non surgical injury. We were doing 2trips a week until recently when he had a setback & clearly realized it wasn't the program we thought it was. He was getting ultrasound therapy & water treadmill. The tech over did the treadmill & program wasn't followed by the vet there like we thought it was.

Had him re examined by our vet who consulted ortho vet again. We have since chose a new location for PT, we go this Friday for a consult.

So...as for pet insurance....I submitted all my receipts through the last rehab visit. I love having pet insurance! I submitted the first claim for Skyler's injury 5 business days ago. Today They paid $539.70 out of $874.45. Only part they considered homeopathic was the ultrasound, denied approx $100. They even covered his Rimadyl!

We pay $100 deductible then they reimburse 80%. The amount reimbursed exceeds what we pay for a yr premium for both dogs & we will have more receipts to submit when he starts PT again. The max they pay for this injury is $1500 so we still have plenty of benefit left.

Gotta say the $200 or so per dog in premiums each year is worth it. This is our third large claim between the two dogs. It's worth it!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Pet insurance can really help the pocket book. I used to have PetFirst but switched to Embrace. Haven't had a claim with Embrace (no complaints about that!) and I'm curious as if they'll be better than PetFirst. Hope Skyler continues to improve.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Since the topic of pet insurance has been highly discussed I thoughts would give an update on Skyler's injury last summer. Due to the initial rehab program we were attending was not ran by the vet directly but by his technician, we were not comfortable with that, especially when a setback in his recovery happened. So with advice & reassurance of our vet we changed to a rehab ver that only does rehab, for the last 16yrs, and has extensive training in various modalities. With her help & guidance we saw progress in approx 10 days!

But....the last two months there hasn't been a change, he still limps on occasion. Activity level doesn't seem to make a difference except that when he has lots of walks he seems more comfortable overall, but doesn't make a big difference in limping. The limping is intermittent & very random. Both my vet & rehab vet feel its probably due to tightness of scar tissue from the extensive muscle rearing he had & the fractured fabellas.

So since we hit a plateau we are going to our first laser therapy tomorrow, It is supposed to help with pain, scar tissue build up, inflammation and results can be almost immediate to taking a month or two, it is very variable but it almost always successful.

He is allowed to do his beloved frisbee play now tho, that is good, just no crazy jumping like he used to & his overall activity isn't limited anymore. I just wish we were all done with this injury, 6mo later.

Oh, as for pet insurance, I am still receiving reimbursement at 80%, I haven't bothered keeping up with benefit max or how close I am to the max. I do know that what I've received had paid for two years worth of premiums with some left over ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wow, sounds like the pet insurance is really paying off. I am heavily considering it. You need to pay up front on all charges, and then get reimbursed?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I pay then submit the bill,, I usually fax in the claim form with a copy of paid bill. 24 hours llater I get an email confirmation, 5-7 days later I get an email that its been processed as well as a copy of my eob. I know have direct deposit so within 3 days I have the money. Most claims I've had were paid within 7 days. This last once was about 10 days because they faxed our rehab vet for records for an update. So far the only thing not covered has been ultrasound, I suspect they won't cover the laser treatment he just started, they did cover the water treadmill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts