Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was walking my maremma today and was stopped by this couple. The lady was all over him and the husband was very interested. Then the lady started saying how they've been looking for their first dog and wanted to know what breed he was. I asked if they ever had dogs before, she used to have a maltese and he grew up with a jack russell. I thought to myself that if I tell them what breed he is, they're going to go to some BYB of maremmas and get a pup because they sell to anyone and get themselves into all sorts of trouble. So I told them he was Golden Retriever X unknown. They got so excited and started talking about maybe getting a golden. I felt bad for lying and love discussing the breed with people but didn't want to risk it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I lie about Opal's breed all the time. People are fascinated by her: they love her huge ears, her color, how friendly she is (once she warms up).

Cardigans are a relatively unknown breed, and so I tell people she's just some random mutt and that I have no idea what she is.

Or, I let people make up their own stories, which is usually more amusing. One person told me that she *for sure* was a pit bull/border collie mix. One person said she thought Opal was an australian shepherd (maybe because she's blue).

·
Registered
539 Posts
Sometimes it's the best way to go... it's rude but you know what... if someone is going to base their breed off what they see walking around town, they really haven't done their homework. I can't tell you how many breed books, breed sites I've read.... and I still am learning about new breeds every day. You can't do enough homework when you pick out a furry family member... I mean you don't pick our spouses on the internet from a picture.... why your dogs? (ok, some do both... LOL)

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Hm.. not sure why you wouldn't choose to educate rather than misguide. Who says any of these people wouldn't do their research? I also don't see what's wrong with liking a dog for its looks.. I think the Koolie looks AMAZING, I could never have one, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be fawning all over one I saw in person lol.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Sometimes it's the best way to go... it's rude but you know what... if someone is going to base their breed off what they see walking around town, they really haven't done their homework. I can't tell you how many breed books, breed sites I've read.... and I still am learning about new breeds every day. You can't do enough homework when you pick out a furry family member... I mean you don't pick our spouses on the internet from a picture.... why your dogs? (ok, some do both... LOL)
I dunno, I picked out Kit on the internet from this picture:

It was posted on petfinder. I think that's an acceptable way to pick out a dog, provided that you do some breed research, meet the dog, etc.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked out my Maremma ont he internet after researching and talkign to the breeder at length. When I was satisfied I paid and had him flown down. Never regretted it, one of the most stable dogs i've met.

·
Registered
207 Posts
As far as whether picking out a dog based on a picture or appearance, to each their own I suppose (I prefer to meet the dog, but then I also purchased a puppy with no information (at the time) on her breed, so that's basically akin to choosing by appearance as well.)

Being interested in a dog because of the appearance isn't a problem, but its certainly a good idea to look into the breed.. which isn't always done.. I ran into a very exhausted and frazzled looking lady at Petsmart once. She had a beautiful brown and white English Spaniel on the end of a leash. The dog was skittering across the linoleum, slipping and sliding in every direction, grabbing everything in sight and generally taking her on a high-energy joyride. I expressed to her fondness for Spaniels, and reminisced about how equally energetic my spaniel had been. She responded "If I had known I wouldn't have gotten her. Me and my husband didn't know anything about them, we just saw one in a dog park and liked the way they looked" exact words. I hope she worked it out, they're wonderful dogs.

And GottaLuvMutts, that is an exceptionally good looking dog! Who couldn't take home a face like that?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
And GottaLuvMutts, that is an exceptionally good looking dog! Who couldn't take home a face like that?
Thanks. I'd been obsessively searching petfinder for weeks, and I swear my heart skipped a beat when I saw that pic. Nearly three years later, I still can't believe what a fabulous dog I picked out - she's one in a million.

More on topic, I'm with CoverTune here. Educate, don't misguide. Tell the truth about what kind of dog you have, but make the people see both sides - the good and the bad. I know nothing about maremmas, but every breed has good sides and bad sides to it.

If someone asked me about my dog, I'd try determine what kind of owner they'd make, and then tailor my response accordingly. For someone who could handle her, I'd say "BC mix. Enthusiastic, athletic, happy, loves everyone" For someone who couldn't I'd say "BC mix. Very high energy, obsessive, needs mental and physical stimulation daily". Kit is intense enough that she'd prove my point either way.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I'll be honest, there've been a couple times I haven't corrected people about my dogs' breed. Not for any particular reason, I just don't want to come across snotty. I feel like a lot of times that I say 'Well actually, they're papillons...' it comes across as snobby.

Just yesterday, in fact, a couple were fawning over Summer and when they were done petting her, the girl said 'I really love pomeranians.' I didn't correct her, just thanked her for loving on Summer, who was eating it up. Maybe that's wrong, I dunno. It's just much less of a hassle that way.

I've never called them a breed they are not, however. I don't think I'd ever do that.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I wasn't in the mood for chatting as i had to PTS my other dog yesterday and know people pretty well and knew if I told them there was a good chance they'd go and get one.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The way I look at it, the people who need to have a cardigan will find their way to the breed like I did.

On the off chance that I meet someone who I feel would be a good fit for the breed, then I do and have educated extensively and gone as far to give out my mentor's card.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I "picked" Chester out because of a photo... well, that is what drew me to the shelter and his personality won me over once I there. If someone asks his breed, I usually say either "Rhodesian Ridgeback mix" or "the kind you get from the shelter" depending on the context of someone asking. I can understand not wanting to get into a deep discussion with strangers, but I also am open to talking more about Chester's personality and needs (which are typical Ridgeback, part of why I guess that as his dominate breed)

I also currently have a Pit Bull foster and am getting all the attention and flack that comes with that. Ranging from people admiring her (as in "Wow, she's pretty, I have an AmStaff and they are great dogs too") to quotes like "You got any others for sale?" and one woman who had been saying how nice the pup was and how much she liked bull dogs and how this other bull dog she met was great until someone informed her that Luna was a Pit and then she suddenly backed away and became quite subdued...

My vote is towards a quick little sound bite.. something like "Yep, he's a ______ and they are great but oh boy, do you need to know that they are ______"
My example is that I say "Yeah, as far as I know he's a Ridgeback. They are great if you are looking for an active dog that loves to hunt and run. Cats and squirrels better watch out." It is enough to warn off the people who just think oh, pretty, and enough to start a conversation with someone who might really be interested. And oddly, I've actually ran into a Ridgeback breeder who started laughing and agreeing with me when I said that...

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i guess I should have told them, however i was feeling so bad about my other dog dying yesterday i sorted of just wanted to zone, so i walke dinasecluded area and people still stopped me, I didn't feel like talking so I guess I just told them something that required no real conversation, as I'm on the verge of crying constantly and was afraid I was going to break down.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
i guess I should have told them, however i was feeling so bad about my other dog dying yesterday i sorted of just wanted to zone, so i walke dinasecluded area and people still stopped me, I didn't feel like talking so I guess I just told them something that required no real conversation, as I'm on the verge of crying constantly and was afraid I was going to break down.
Honestly, if you wanted to tell strangers to eff off, there isn't really anything wrong with that IMO. You are having a bad time, you are not required to deal with them. They will get over it. If you wanted to talk about your breed, great, if not, then its not like you have to or anything

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hm.. not sure why you wouldn't choose to educate rather than misguide. Who says any of these people wouldn't do their research? I also don't see what's wrong with liking a dog for its looks.. I think the Koolie looks AMAZING, I could never have one, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be fawning all over one I saw in person lol.
I agree. You don't know these people at all... But I also get what you mean when you say that too many people get dogs for the wrong reason. Just a few days ago I met this young lady in our neighborhood who went to the pound to get a small dog and came home with this giant 8 months old pit bull/labrador mix, who was slightly anxious and fearful. First time owner. She said she just fell in love with him. I thought to myself that this dog likely will end up at the pound again. Unless... she takes an interest, does her homework on both breeds and starts working with this pup. Didn't sound like it though.

·
Registered
948 Posts
i guess I should have told them, however i was feeling so bad about my other dog dying yesterday i sorted of just wanted to zone, so i walked in a secluded area and people still stopped me, I didn't feel like talking so I guess I just told them something that required no real conversation, as I'm on the verge of crying constantly and was afraid I was going to break down.
Well sometimes you just have to do whatever gets you through the moment. You were courteous, plus gave good advice concerning goldens. That's good enough for random strangers especially at a time like this.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Come on guys, doesn't he look like a GoldenX to you. lol

(he just had a brush excuse the amount of hair behind him, somebody is moulting)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I don't think you were doing anybody any harm in calling him a golden mix. If that couple decide to get a golden now hopefully they will research goldens anyways before getting one. But it's not like these people absolutely NEED a maremma and you've just ruined all the chances of them getting one. If they were meant to have one they'll get one! But maybe a golden is a better fit for them and you've just opened their minds to the possibility. Who knows? This couple will get the dog they want to get and there's not much you can do about it. Heck they might get another maltese, LOL!

IMO I think it would be worse if you really had a golden mix but advertised him as a maremma, so that the people you spoke to went off and got a maremma expecting it to act like a golden. Whereas a guardian breed is obviously going to be a lot different and not as easy of dog for most owners compared to a golden. I think a lot of people fall into a similar kind of trap when they meet someone who has a "wolf hybrid," that's really just like a husky/shepherd, and the owner raves about how well behaved the dog is and how perfect it is with their children. And then the person listening is mislead and actually goes out and buys a real wolfdog and gets way in over their head. THAT'S the kind of situation where it might be harmful to give out false information.

But honestly, even though you KNOW your dog is a maremma, what if you had found your dog as a stray and really did think he was a golden mix and told that to everybody who asked? What's the harm in telling anybody that that's what he is? If it makes your conversation with a stranger easier for you, I say go for it. There have been times when I didn't feel like explaining that Basil is most likely a purebred Papillon, but that sometimes Papillons turn out bigger than standard and that's why he's so large for a Papillon. So instead I just said he's a Papillon mix. But what if he really is a Papillon mix and I've gone around all this time calling him a purebred Papillon?? Hehehe. :biggrin1:

ETA: Wow that really turned out longer than I expected, I really rambled on there, LOL!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't lie about my dogs' breeds...the ACD mix looks cool and, when she was younger, was a pretty spectacular Frisbee player, she's not easily identifiable as part ACD unless you really know dogs and can spot the temperment and build. People do want to know what kind of dog she is, but she's a bit scary, no one will want to go out and get one just like her ;). She's to be admired from a distance. BC mix is very obviously mostly BC and most people recognize that, as they've all seen "Babe" ;).

I DO lie, sometimes, about the breed of my neighbor's lovely Pitbull. He's a terrific dog, with the nicest manners (dogs and people). I take him out to walk with my dogs sometimes because neighbor is disabled. If people don't already know that he's a Pit (in which case they say how nice he is) and ask, I tell them he's a Boxer or a Boxer mix...learned my lesson, because the first time I told someone the truth, they became afraid, insisted that I "shouldn't bring that thing out in public" and generally got upset.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.