Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a really big problem I didnt quite notice until lately how bad this is,, I thought I was feeding my 3 dogs properly but actually I think Im killing them. They have dry food down at all times Its Kibbles N Bits I think,,and water however I used to feed them all Mighty Dog wet food at dinner time but now they HATE the wet food and wont touch it no matter how I dock it up. I tried heating it up I try adding garlic or maple syrup ect. Nothing works SO I have been feeding them portions of our table food in their bowls but now Im worried they wont eat eat wet foods at all so they eat, pasta, Pizza, some vegetables but they eat chicken and meats and just everything I feed my family but I know its probably better if they ate dog food nuitrition wise Im so afraid they will have heart disease or something. Besides this I have another question, BONES.,., I buy those small dente bones for all 3 of my dogs and they LOVE them but I think they are injesting them too much. I see that they are chewing them until they are moist and then they seem to break off pieces and swallow this well what are these bones doing to their stomachs and insides? Im so scared. Now I have 2 Chihuahuas one is 12 pounds 3 year old Male deer Toy sized Chihuahua and the other one is a small tiny 6 pound female Applehead Teacup Chihuahua and I have a 13 pound toy sized Male Yorkshire Terrier.. They all eat the same things. They are very picky and turn up their noses at alot of dog treats and dog foods so what can I do to give them the healthiest diet I can give them,. but to not give them table food anymore they eat alot of butter on their veges and such I think they eat corn and then poop it out the next day its gross so they are not digesting it,.. I dont know but If I dont feel like cooking for myself or family I have to or my dogs with starve.. I made them scrambled eggs and stuff SO I dont know what is a good wet food to buy? ,or dry food for that matter How do I reintroduce dog food to them again and what brands? Thank you ,, And how many times a day do I feed them all ,, Thanks so much ,

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm at a loss of words.... you definitely need help, I would take them to your vet first to see if there's anything wrong with them, and try putting them on a strict, low fat diet kibble. Wellness CORE low fat, or most senior formulas are low fat. Try staying away from grocery store dog foods brands. Also, the feeding guidelines on the bag should indicate how much food to feed your dogs.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Garlic by itself can be dangerous for dogs, and the sugar in Maple Syrup isn't very good either. Not to mention, pizza and pasta are also ridiculously fattening.

If they totally refuse everything except the really nasty sugar-sweetened, full of fillers junky kibbles, you can try homecooking for them. (You could also try a raw diet, but I have a feeling that your dogs might turn their nose up to it.)

There are lots of good brands out there and many companies will mail you a free sample. Go to dogfoodanalysis.com

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am no expert at all, but when reading you post the first thing that came to my mind is, if they won't eat any type of kibble at all anymore, why not just go raw? It would be a lot less trouble than cooking for them, and MUCH healthier than what you're doing now.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Those tiny dogs are frequently SOOOOO picky. Probably a good homecooked diet would be best. You need to do research about how to balance a homecooked diet....lots of meat, some eggs, a few well-cooked veggies, maybe some grains (oatmeal or whole-grain pasta or whatever), but NO JUNK FOOD!!!! And you need to find a way to balance the calcium content. Homecooked diets can be too low in calcium.

If you want to keep dry dog food down, try Purina ONE.....Kibble 'n' Bits is just FULL of sugar, propylene glycol, and other junk. There are a few different flavors of Purina ONE, so maybe your dogs will like one of the flavors. There are better foods than Purina ONE, but I don't know what stores you have available, and you can get ONE just about anywhere. I'm pretty sure there are Purina ONE canned foods, too.

Dental bones are meant to be ingested. Try not to give them too many, and watch for possible choking, but eating a dental bone now and then isn't bad. What brand do you buy?

If you don't want to go with a homecooked diet, pick a good dog food, and stick with it. Put their food down, leave it for 20 minutes, then pick it up and don't give them ANYTHING until the next meal time. You can't give in even once or they'll keep holding out for yummier food. They won't starve themselves, and will eat their dog food eventually.

Here are a couple links about homecooked diets:
http://www.petdiets.com/
http://www.drbasko.com/nutrition.htm#dog_diets

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cant thank all of you enough, for all the ideas. First off how many times a day should I be feeding my dogs? I have a 1 year old Chi and a 3 year old Chi and a 2 year old Yorkie. They have all been to the Vet recently and they are all ok however, if they keep going like this they certainly wont be ok. When my family and I eat dinner they gather around their bowls waiting for me to make up a bowl for them of the food we are eating. SO of course I feel bad because I know I wouldnt want the same thing everyday to eat thats so boring and I cant clear the dogs out of the kitchen when we are eating because there is no place for me to put them and they smell everything I am cooking and know better, SO I dont know I am supposed to eat healthy I have cancer and I dont I eat all sugar and junk food so I am a horrible example but I dont want to kill the babies that I love so much. So I want them to eat better, I will start today I am getting rid of the Kibbles and bits so I guess they will have to get used to something else. The other day we had Chinese food and my husband said to get the dogs spare ribs but I said no the bones could hurt them and so we ordered the boneless and they ate it like crazy but I think that is the worst thing they can eat it has stuff on that meat,, like honey?? I think.. Im scared for them they are my best friends I want them to have a normal healthy life.. I want to learn what the right thing is to give them. I remember the Vet giving me a wet dog food that said Science diets on it and he wanted me to feed them that,,., but my dogs HATED it,,SO any ideas would be helpful Thanks again so much

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Regi, you should be feeding your dogs two times a day, if not three. Smaller dogs have smaller tummies (if I remember correctly one of your Chis is also exceptionally small) so it's important for them to eat a couple of times throughout the day to keep their blood sugar up.

Have you thought about feeding dry food? Why do you want to feed them wet food? If you really want to go with wet, Innova, Natural Balance, Wellness and Instinct all make very good wet canned foods. Science Diet is not a good food at all.

You may have to exercise some tough love when you switch them back on to wet food. They may turn it down or refuse to eat it at first because it doesn't smell as good as spare ribs or buttered vegetables. That makes sense -- McDonalds usually smells and tastes much better than salad -- but that's because of all the salt, marinade, MSG and etc on it. Right now, your dogs have been taught that if they hold out for long enough, you'll eventually give in to them and give them something that tastes wonderful (but is terrible for their health, although they don't know that). You need to "unspoil" your dogs -- put down their bowls for 15 minutes. If they don't eat, take their bowls up and put them down a few hours later for 15 minutes. If they don't eat, take the bowls up again. Don't worry -- a healthy dog can go several days without food, and will not starve itself. You need to teach them that they're not getting anything else -- the food you're giving them is nutritious and good for them, miles better than that buttered and seasoned stuff.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Kind of OT from the OP's post...but

Not entirely true. An entire BULB of garlic my cause some problems if eaten at once, but garlic given in small amounts is actually quite healthy. My two get 2-3 cloves a week.
Mine get a clove of garlic as well if I am making their food mixes...and actually even the veggie mix I buy has garlic in it.

I add it in not only for the health benefits, but also because I think it helps flavor the food. My aussie mix will sometimes snub his food...I added in garlic and he dives right in!

·
Banned
51 Posts
You are less likely to kill your dog by feeding left overs than by feeding kibble. I would continue what you are doing but be a little more selective what you feed them. I would go heavy on meat and very lightly on veggies. The corn won't hurt them but like you said they aren't digesting it so it is doing no good whatsoever. Throw in some raw bones and you will be ok.

It has been proven that dogs fed a noncommercial diet live longer than dogs fed commercial diets both kibble and canned.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Well, I'm no expert on dogs, but I know that they won't starve themselves. If you stop feeding them scraps and only offer them dog food (a better quality than you're feeding now, or raw) for about 15-20 minutes and then take it up if they don't eat, they'll start eating.

No dog is going to intentionally starve itself. They will eventually eat. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was jsut at the vet on Friday and asked him about human food's. I have a golden lab who lost his partner a few weeks ago and he won't eat..he they were alway's spoiled by daddy not me. He said chicken and ground beef rinsed are ok to mix in with the kibble. He also once told us when our girl was not eatin and was sick to do scrambled egg's and or sweet potatoes. I was told that an overweight dog will die as much as 2 years sooner than a dog who is at an appropriate weight. My goilden lab is 17 lbs overweight and he is going on a diet. If he does not want to eat than he won't but we will wean him off the human food bit by bit..he will get some, but not much we just want him to live as long as possible I don't want to loose another dog. Like they say a dog will eat he will not starve himself. Bad habit's are hard to break.

·
Registered
322 Posts
OP, I would suggest that you get a good, nutritious dog food (kibble or canned). There are a lot of posts here on the "better" foods. dogfoodproject.com also has some good information.

You can supplement with food you cook for your family. I would give only meat, though; your dogs won't need additional carbs.

You may want to mix in cooked foods with your dogs' kibble for a while to help them transition.

Good luck!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I wouldn't cater.

I got my 4 year old chihuahua as a rescue at about 13 months old. He was free fed, and fussy. He was also underweight and willing to hold out for any goodies that might come his way.

I don't cater to dogs. You eat what I put down, or you don't eat.

Feed them whatever you decide you want to feed them long term (kibble, canned, a combo of both? If you home cook, PLEASE research or ask for proper proportions and supplementation... please!)

Put their food down in 3 bowls, 1 for each dog, and measure out only what they should get for that 1 meal. (half their RDI if you feed twice a day, which is ideal)

Time them. They have 3 minutes to eat. If they show no interest in eating, pick up their food and FAST them until the next meal. That means no cookies, no bones, no treats! No human food!

When the next mealtime rolls around that day offer them the same food they turned down last meal. Same thing - if they show no interest, pick it up.

If you stay FIRM and you do not GIVE IN and feed them 'extras' because you felt bad for them not eating, then within a few days you will have three dogs that eat what you put down for them.

If you DO cater and do give them extra's you'll never get over the hump of a picky dog.

It took my dog about 4 missed meals to eat his first one, and about 3 weeks before he was on CONSISTENT meal times (eating everything that was there, every meal)

Three years later things are still going well. Haven't had him turn down a meal since.

Meghan

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Meghan, that's almost exactly what I would recommend, too, if you know that the dogs are otherwise healthy. I rotate between high quality brands of kibble and canned (including Solid Gold, Natural Balance, Wellness, Blue Buffalo, etc.), supplement with raw, and use a variety of quality treats (including Zukes, Buddy Biscuits, "human" food, etc.) for training. My dogs are kept lean, not stuffed, and they have learned to eat what's offered at meal times within about 10 minutes, or they'll only be offered another chance at the same thing next time.

If you think about it, what would your dogs do if they ran away? If someone found them, that person certainly wouldn't have any idea about your dogs "only" wanting to eat so-and-such foods, or "hating" whatever. What if for some reason you could not get the food they liked at all? And if your dogs ran away and weren't picked up by someone, how long do you think they'd hold out before they'd eat whatever grossness they came across in a garbage pile? Eating is about survival, only people tend to complicate things.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts