Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This POOR dog! I live a few minutes out of town, and have two different ways to get to town. One of the ways I go(usually when I have to make a trip to the vets) there's a Rottweiler chained up outside of this house. I noticed him one day, and HOPED he was just out there temporarily to go potty. But now I check for him every time I drive by, and he's always there. He's chained to a tree, and has one of those TINY igloo houses. I'm sure he has no wiggle room in that thing. It's been really hot and humid here lately, and I feel so bad for him. The first day I noticed him, he was jumping at the end of his chain trying to get to (who I assume to be) his owner who was completely ignoring him. He would lunge forward and twist his neck and his body would fling forward. It was awful. And what's worse is half the time I see him, he doesn't have food or water set out for him.

I live in a small-ish town where the cops here told my mother there was nothing she could do when her neighbor left their two year old outside by herself and my mom almost hit her with her work truck on accident. We don't have "animal control" here, we have police officers. And police officers who don't seem to care all that much. Is there anything anyone can think of that I can do for this dog(although I don't have high hopes)? This summer is supposed to be hotter than any other summer, and it's already extremely humid here. I'm afraid this LARGE Rottie will have a heat stroke..

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
This POOR dog! I live a few minutes out of town, and have two different ways to get to town. One of the ways I go(usually when I have to make a trip to the vets) there's a Rottweiler chained up outside of this house. I noticed him one day, and HOPED he was just out there temporarily to go potty. But now I check for him every time I drive by, and he's always there. He's chained to a tree, and has one of those TINY igloo houses. I'm sure he has no wiggle room in that thing. It's been really hot and humid here lately, and I feel so bad for him. The first day I noticed him, he was jumping at the end of his chain trying to get to (who I assume to be) his owner who was completely ignoring him. He would lunge forward and twist his neck and his body would fling forward. It was awful. And what's worse is half the time I see him, he doesn't have food or water set out for him.

I live in a small-ish town where the cops here told my mother there was nothing she could do when her neighbor left their two year old outside by herself and my mom almost hit her with her work truck on accident. We don't have "animal control" here, we have police officers. And police officers who don't seem to care all that much. Is there anything anyone can think of that I can do for this dog(although I don't have high hopes)? This summer is supposed to be hotter than any other summer, and it's already extremely humid here. I'm afraid this LARGE Rottie will have a heat stroke..
I don't know what state you are in, but this group: http://www.unchainyourdog.org/ has some good information. To summarize: Approach the owner (politely) and express an interest in the dog. If you are nice, you might at least be able to improve his living conditions and the quality of his life.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. I was already thinking of approaching the owners, but I had this feeling that if they are cruel enough to keep their dog like that, then they might not be very nice of people. But I don't have anything to lose, and the poor pup does. So I'll check out this website and then try and help this dog tomorrow. And I live in Michigan.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Thank you so much. I was already thinking of approaching the owners, but I had this feeling that if they are cruel enough to keep their dog like that, then they might not be very nice of people. But I don't have anything to lose, and the poor pup does. So I'll check out this website and then try and help this dog tomorrow. And I live in Michigan.
I don't know where you live, but you could be dealing with ignorance - or, more than likely, just apathy. Most people who keep dogs on chains, in my experience, aren't malicious. They just don't give a rat's behind. Makes no difference to the dog, of course, and it's still cruel, but they're not MEAN just deeply apathetic. Which means they're often willing to allow/accept other people who care (may think you're odd) or even give the dog over without fuss.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dog wasn't jumping on the owner, the owner was WELL out of reach. But I mean the dog obviously just wanted some attention and was yelping in pain every time he yanked his neck.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know where you live, but you could be dealing with ignorance - or, more than likely, just apathy. Most people who keep dogs on chains, in my experience, aren't malicious. They just don't give a rat's behind. Makes no difference to the dog, of course, and it's still cruel, but they're not MEAN just deeply apathetic. Which means they're often willing to allow/accept other people who care (may think you're odd) or even give the dog over without fuss.
I know you're right, and I know that if/when I go talk to the owner, I have to be very nice and un-accusing. It's just hard to not have bad thoughts about someone who treats an animal as if they're an inanimate object. It makes me pretty pissed. And I can't help but think this person just has a Rottweiler because they 'make cool guard dogs.'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts