Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the first 48 hrs after I got the puppy home, he learned to use nespapers in the bathroom, only he needs me to pick him there because running through too rooms to get in the bath was way too long for a new 7-week old to remember, I thought. In following days he used the training pad (we changed nespapers into training pad) very well.

Later we got him a crate and start walking him and let him release outside. Still we kept the training pad in the bath so when it's raining or too cold outside we can take him there. But he seemed to totally forgot how to use training pad. This morning I tried to make him urine on that, he missed and soiled the floor of the bathroom. Just now my boyfriend walked him, saw him urined and pooed outside, so let him playing outside the crate without anybody watching him. But this time he soiled our apartment.

Now I'm confused. What sould I do? I wanna him releasing outside most times, but also I wanna him learn to use in-side potty so I can let him play in the apartment without watching him (otherwise I have to keep him in the crate when I have stuff to do and can't watch him). Sould I keep walking him outside or stop doing that and teach him to use in-side potty again? And is "running through 3 rooms to get the potty" to far for a 12-week Shelti? How if he refuse to urine or poo on the potty? Or the puppy is totally not supposed to playing indoor before we are totally sure he is housebroken?

·
Registered
74 Posts
My dog goes both inside and outside, depending on weather. You wrote that you taught him how to use the pads but you didn't mention about teaching him not to urinate outside the pads. You need to house break him. Keep him under close watch when he's outside the crate, when you see signs that he needs to go, bring him to the pads. If you catch him urinating outside the pads (you need to catch him in action), discipline and bring him back to the pads. Until he learns he cannot urinate anywhere in the house but the pads, you should crate him when you are not watching him.

Running 3 rooms seems too much for a 12-week old. Put a pad in the room where he plays and in the room where you want the pads permanently. When he gets older, you can slowly remove the pad in the room where he plays.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, I guess I should crate him when there's no close watch available, too.

actually at first I did punishment on wrong-place release and praise on right-place release both. But later I gave up punishing him on wrong-place release, 'coz I'm afraid of making him thinking "releasing is wrong", since there are so many "wrong places" for a non-housebroken puppy and it will appear to him like "Anywhere I release, she will punish me!"

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
If you catch him doing it, it's fine. Don't punish so much as startle him into stopping and then carry him to the right place. If you don't see him actually peeing, it's too late.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts