Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad passed away on Memorial Day leaving behind his baby...his 11 month old Austrailian Shepherd puppy Cash. Like a human he is dealing with his loss. My mom tried everything with him, she even hired an in home trainer. That helped but he still has issues. He is a very loving dog but a crazy one. I have had him 3 days now and I do see an improvement and we know it will take time. First he has to adust to the move, then he has to get trained on the electric fence and then we need to train him on behavior in the home. He has been either on a lead in the yard or in his crate. I can not have him run free in the home yet in case the kids leave the door open and he runs out. It's alot of work but it's going well except for one thing....

how do I get him to stop jumping? He will not jump on a child so that is a plus but he jumps on adults. He is pretty big too so it can knock me to the ground if I dont expect it. I have been trying to approach him first and say sit and stay, he cooperates but as soon as I give him the go ahead to move he pounces. I put my knee up...dont work and I turn my back...dont work.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It sounds like he just wants some attention and play. When he jumps don't say anything, don't look at him, cross your arms and walk away. Completely ignore him for a few seconds. Start with a short amount of time and then increase it a little bit. Australian Shepherds are smart, he'll get it eventually. The key to training is patience and persistence so just keep at it.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. I agree, it sounds like he needs more attention than he's getting. I don't, in any way, mean that as a criticism to you. You are doing a great thing by taking him in and it sounds like you know what you're doing. :) And, I understand your reasoning for not wanting him out and about in the house. But, from Cash's perspective, he was your dad's baby. Now, as you said, he's either in the yard, or the crate.....

One of the members here, Labmom, uses tie downs, I think. You might try to do a search....she basically hooks the leash to a tie down in the living area, so the dog is out and about with the family, but only has limited freedom....a similar idea is to hook the leash to a very heavy, stationary piece of furniture.

Also, lots of exercise sometimes helps with too much jumping. And, you might try using "sit" when he's actually jumping, not before, when you're approaching him. It's called an incompatible behavior. When a dog is doing something you don't like, as them to perform a behavior that they can't do at the same time as the bad behavior. So, he can't keep jumping if he sits. But, to go a step further, after you get him to sit, distract him further by asking him to do something different.

So, for instance, say the dog jumps on you, you say sit. Then, as soon as he sits, say "down" or "shake" or something else he can do. That way, hopefully, he's forgotten about jumping, because you're giving him a lot of other things to do....
Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts