Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used her fave toy or treats to teach her the 'bark' command, but now if I ask her to sit (with toy or treat in hand) and she doesn't want to sit (and I don't give her the toy/treat) she will bark instead to try to get the toy/treat. Did I do it wrong?

I also want to teach her 'quiet', any good methods for this?

·
Super Moderator
11,513 Posts
"No" is a pretty abstract concept for a dog unless you are actually redirecting the dog to something else.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Welcome to Pandora's Box :) You did just fine, but like any other behavior, you have to train with a little discrimination and discipline.

For example, when training Sit and Down, you train both behaviors, separately, then ask for them alternating, ignoring the wrong one and rewarding the correct one. Do the same with Bark and Sit. Re train Sit, then reinforce Bark, then Alternate.

Note that Sit! is boring but Bark! is self-reinforcing, so most dogs prefer to bark. Working on Sit! and Bark! should help. After a week or two of this type of training, then work on Quiet!

1. Cue her to Bark 5 or 10 times in a row, let her get excited. She will continue barking.
2. Ignore her. When she stops, say Quiet! and give her a treat.
3. Timing is everything, b/c she may stop for only a moment, and you may reward Bark!, instead of Quiet! ... Just keep practicing.
4. Keep it up for about 3 days to get the idea across, then 3 more days to burn in the cue.
5. Then, practice Sit!, Bark!, Quiet! in alternation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts