Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
people oooh and ahhh over Eris until they ask me what kind of dog she is...my answer 'american pit bull' their answer ' OH my god they are mean dogs, how can you have one around your kids"....take deep breath before i yell at them..in reality i dont yell at them. BUT...if you own a pit bull you know how i feel about the negative image they have.

I want to help educate the public about the pitbull. Eris goes to the school with me when i take kids to school. She is going everywhere's with me when i leave whether its for walks or whatever.

I just get irritated.

Then i get on craigslist today and there is a beautiful blue pit. Its under the watertown craigslist, named vegas(if anybody wants to check it out)

They used to say the same thing about my rottie Mojo.

:mad:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh man I get the same thing too. It's quite frustrating sometimes, because they respond like that then walk away so you can't say anything to them. I actually had one lady tell me "Oh there's no pit in her she's too sweet." Yeah. I know.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
You're going to get stereotyping with a lot of breeds, sadly. I have a chihuahua and she is NOTHING like the stereotype.. she is NOT yappy, she is NOT a biter, she is NOT a one-person-dog, she is NOT hyper... but, same thing, I know that's what people are thinking as soon as I tell them what breed she is. And you're right, it is irritating, but sadly, I don't think there's a lot that can be done about it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Oh I hear you!!

So my boss has a pit bull mix and a boxer. He was telling me that there have been several instances where people will be loving on Buddy (the pit bull mix) and think he's so sweet and then ask him if Bonnie (the boxer) is a pit bull because she "looks mean". Now I've never seen a mean looking boxer in my life, but Bonnie is the bounciest, friendliest dog! They quickly jump back when he informs them that it's actually Buddy that's a pit bull.

People are crazy!

When I used to go to the dog park I had an incident like this too. I went back to the gate to grab a poop back right after we got there. This guy was leashing his dog and looked at me and said "Is that a pit bull?" I say "yeah she's a pit bull mix" and he asks "well is she nice? Because she shouldn't be here otherwise!" I seriously turned my head to see that Bridgette was on her back in the dirt with a (what appeared to be around) 6 month old retriever puppy on top of her, their tails wagging furiously. I really didn't even know what to say...I wanted to make a snide remark, but I think I just said "Um, yeah clearly she's nice."

People irritate me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts