Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the street leading up to the alley that goes to my parking spot. It was dark. I started to turn into the alley and, at the last second as my headlights turned sharply, suddenly a dog was illuminated just feet in front of my bumper. It was too sudden to stop in time, but I slammed on the breaks and only barely bumped the dog.

She was okay, thank god. Her owners were walking her on a flexi lead and she was about twenty feet in front of them. I actually know them; they got the dog at the nearby shelter after they went in determined to save the oldest, least adoptable dog there. She's a brindle pit mix, and a total lovebug. I was crying (I was initially really freaked out) and the dog was just licking me and wagging her tail and generally being a sweetheart. I don't think she was hurt, but I made them promise to call me tomorrow and let me know. Pits have famously high tolerance for pain, and she might not start limping or something until tomorrow.

Anyway, I wanted to post on here and tell people what happened so that if anyone else is walking their dog like this, hopefully they'll stop after they read this. I suppose flexi leads aren't automatically bad, but I think the way some people use them is risky. Maybe people who use flexi leads should try to make sure they only do it during the day, and not while walking along the street.
I know these particular dog owners are generally great, but a little laissez faire. Hopefully they'll be more careful now. It's harder to see a dog when you're driving than one would think, especially if they're walking out in front by themselves. Because they're low to the ground they aren't in one's field of vision as much as a person.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I hate those darn flexi leashes!!!(thankfully the dog was okay)

I absolutely hate it when someone walks dogs on those and they let their dogs run up to your dog and the owners are 20 stinking feet behind them!!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I almost hit a yorkie on a flexi lead today, in broad daylight. The owners stopped at an intersection and for some reason they let their dog continue into the street :rolleyes: Luckily, I kind of saw it all unfold but, if I had been distracted at all, I would have hit the dog.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I absolutely hate it when someone walks dogs on those and they let their dogs run up to your dog and the owners are 20 stinking feet behind them!!
Yeah, that's terrible too. Maybe they're just always a bad idea. I mean, unless you and your dog are sitting alone in a park with no one within 30 feet...

But then why not just use a training lead?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I agree with using a trainging lead, because you can wind it in by hand. With the flexi's you have to go towards them to get it to wind in, which would just cause the dog to go farther ahead of you...

I think the flexi's are just plain dangerous, especially if someone is responsibly walking their dog aggressive dog, and someone with a flexi lets there dogs run up to them without question of whether the dog is friendly or not.

I can understand a flexi if you are in your yard, the woods, or places like that, but not in public around people or other animals unless they are completely un reactive and will not rush up to another dog or person and stick by your side, which I've seen and that's just fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Flexi leashes are the worst. You can't possibly have good enough control over a dog that is separated from you by 20 feet of rope. Not for city walking anyway.

In addition, if you want to confuse a dog who is learning to walk on a leash, get it a Flexi. Theres nothing quite like the beauty of a leash that is long sometimes and short others to baffle a poor pup trying to figure out why sometimes it pulls and gets more leash, and sometimes it pulls and gets yelled at.

Sorry, I am really biased against Flexi leads. I am glad to hear that the dog seems OK, and it seems that even while you are beating yourself up, the dog has forgiven you and loves you, as evidenced by puppy kisses.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I hate those things too...I have one that I used during housetraining my dogs. I could just snap it on and stand in one place in the middle of the yard, while they wondered around to do their business. lol I've never actually taken them anywhere in public while using it and I never would. The lock constantly sticks, in my opinion, they just aren't safe. One good yank on the leash from Eddie or Uallis and I can easily see the internal mechanism breaking...

Not to mention, that while I'm walking my dogs, I want them to walk with me, not 30ft ahead of me...

I'm really glad that the dog wasn't hurt. Hopefully, its a wakeup call for the owners.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I hate flexi leads too; I did buy one but gave up after one use. But I can see their appeal; no winding of a long lead and less feeling of pulling because they're 20 feet away. However, this means the owner has to have a closer eye on their dog and be able to wind the lead quickly to get their dog tocome to them. You can jerk your arm back so you don't have to move towards them but I guess I'm just not that coordinated. I found that if there was a dog coming our way, I had to grab the tape to pull her in because I couldn't pull her in the normal way. I bought a training lead instead. Another reason I hate those leads is because the German Shepherd (no offence to German Shepherds or their owners) who attacked my little dog wasn't on a lead at all and then when the owner put his flexi-lead on, she still couldn't control her dog. she had a choke chain on a flexi-lead! I just couldn't believe someone would have a big, untrained dog on a flexi-lead. And what's the point of the choke chain on a flexi-lead?

Thank God that dog was okay; hopefully, his owner will pay more attention next time. Well hopefully there isn't a next time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had some terrible experiences with Flexi leashes. When I was 12 I had a large, energetic Dalmatian. Walking with her people was the highlight of her day, so pretty much the entire time we were on our walk she would be excited. She was still well-behaved though. One day I was walking her down our driveway, and she was prancing along a few feet ahead of me; then she saw a rabbit and set off after it at a break-neck pace. The flexi leash ran out of cord and in my attempts to hold on she succeeded in both dislocating my arm and yanking the leash out of my hands. The worst part was she ran out into a street where large transports appear quite suddenly. She was lucky she wasn't killed.

Since then I've never used one and I encourage other dog owners not to do so either. You can't get a firm enough grip on the handle if the dog lunges, and that's just the least of the problems.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
That's so scary! I'm so glad she was okay!

I use a flexi on both dogs in the woods. This is when they get a little more leeway and free roam w/o being of leash. When we get back to the street the leashes are locked in at my side.

I cannot stand when people let their dogs roam wherever they want on a flexi leash! I cannot tell you the amount of times people bring dogs in on them at work. They're dog will be in the door and around the corner when the owner is still outside. I had to grab a small dog once because we had a DA dog sitting in the corner. She'd have been lunch! It's so ridiculous!

·
Registered
976 Posts
My neighbor is getting ready to have surgery on her knee so I take her westie on walks with Bailey sometimes. Unfortunately, she has a flexi lead, but I always lock it. I wouldn't take the dog unless it was locked.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Zoey has a flexi-leash, but you'll never see it un-locked anywhere near a road-way. We're lucky that we live in a neighborhood that has this really nice paved trail set far away from the road to walk on. When we lived at our apartment and I could only walk her on the sidewalks, she was on her regular 5' leash at all times. Now that we're sitting on a triple lot of land with the trail and have all this space, I got the leash so she can roam a bit. I can't believe some people let their dogs on flexi-leashes so close to roads though.. I don't think I will ever trust my reflexes to be fast enough to use it near a road.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Short and to the point, most owners can't control their dogs on a 4 ft lead. Then add the inconsistency of the mechanism of the flexi release and the inconsistencies of the owners operating the flexi. That is way too much inconsistency. I have always wondered if the inventor of the flexi ever owned a dog. Please, I know there are many flexi owners that think they are the greatest thing invented since bubble-gum. That's fine I just think they are an accident looking for a place to happen.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I have a flexi lead and I love them. I have a 6 ft lead that I have mixed feelings about just because not matter what dog I put on it, the dog always ends up getting tangled in the lead and I spend half the walk with either 4 ft of lead in my hands or trying to keep the lead taut during the part of the walk where I let the dog wander. A flexi fixes both of those problems for me. I think they're like anything else. You use them responsibly and monitor your dog, you're fine. I could see the same thing happening on a 20 ft training lead TBH.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I'm trigger happy with my flexi. you wont ever be hitting one of my dogs.

yeah, that's me, too....the only time i actually use one is when we're goosing and i have to keep them on a line b/c of people, during nesting time, or something of the sort....but the couple times i have used them otherwise, that trigger gets hit when i see a dog/person, am approaching an intersection/driveway, and sometimes just b/c...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've used a flexi-leash with no problems. Just need to be extra watchful and take care with it and use it in appropriate places and situations which excludes allowing dogs to run into traffic!!!

Just like everything else, it's the owner of the dog, not the flexi-leash, per se that causes trouble.

·
Registered
223 Posts
use it in appropriate places and situations which excludes allowing dogs to run into traffic!!!
I just made a post a couple hours ago where someone had 2 scotties on flexi leashes while in an area that some would call 'appropriate' or 'woods'. I was using the Trans Canada trail which is a public, well groomed, heavily treed trail far from the road and near a river. Now like I said, some would view this as the place for a flexi lead because of the no car bit..... but really what about everyone else?!?! I'm almost ran over one of her dogs when it jumped in front of me, 2 more feet and a squished dog it would have been. Any public area, be there cars or not is not the place to let dogs roam free OR on flexi leashes. This woman had no control over her dogs and they were all over the place!!! Again this is one of those areas where people take their dogs on those leashes thinking it's a great idea, obviously now if I had run over her dog I would have been to blame too!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I mean, I don't use the Flexi anymore, but it's not like I measure out how much of the leash it is (I have a really long leash that I wind around my hand and then some around my index finger to control easier how much to give). I don't really understand the "confusion because the length of the leash is different", but maybe that's just me (and probably is, I'm hardly the most knowledgeable owner here for sure). If Wally feels the leash even slightly tense, he stops and looks at me, so it's probably just something he figured out during loose leash training.

I don't blame the leashes - I blame the owners. The owner shouldn't let their dog go 20 feet away from them, flexi, regular, or no leash if they can't "snap" him back quickly if the situation demands (like a biker coming along the trail or you're stopping at an intersection). I think a lot of owners think leash absolve them of having direct control of the dog (since he's on a string) and I think that's where the real problem is.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I hate those leads! The only time I've ever used one for my dogs is when on bathroom breaks in dog areas at rest stops or out on the desert when I had my collie while managing a motel out on the desert. But for regular walks on the street? NEVER!

I have a friend who uses one and if I walk her dog I have the flexi-lead locked so the dog cannot go way out in front of me that way.

The main trouble with most flexi versus regular long leads is that it's difficult to control the flexi-lead. The best option is to just keep it locked.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts