Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Great Pyrenees/Golden Retriever mix.She's been shedding like crazy,and I've been brushing her daily.The top part appears to be changing color to a light blond,and is kind of corse,and stiff.It looks like the upper coat is coming off,leaving it a stiff feeling. The rest of her coat is somewhat thick and brushy.When I brush her,her fur has been coming out by the handfulls.Is this normal? I've never had a long haired dog before. If it isn't natural,what can I do to make sure she has the best coat possible?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ah yes, quite normal. Great Pyrenees blow coat twice a year like Leonbergers. There are other breeds like this as well. Blowing coat means it comes out in tuffs or handfuls as you described.

They have double coats consisting of a long, flat, thick outer coat of coarser hair lying over a dense, fine woolly undercoat. The coat forms a ruff or mane around the neck area and about half way down the back which is more pronounced in males. They also have very cute pantaloons or butt fluff as Leo owners call it. And their tails are gorgeous with a fan of hair.

Their coat is weather resistant.

Bailey can be dirty and wet one minute and shake it off the next and be clean.

Yes, they can change color too as they grow older. Leonbergers are famous for that, starting off with birth when they are nearly all black. They turn grayish and then a black mask appears on their face and their bodies are varying degrees of tan.

Leonbergers were created by breeding a Great Pyrenees, Newfoundland, and Saint Bernard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts