Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm liz, im totally new to this forum so before asking my question i'll just give some information on my dogs.
I have two, the first is Rufus, a 2 and a bit year old pedigree rhodesian ridgeback male (castrated male)
we have had him since he was a puppy, no real health problems except about 4 months ago he had a sinus infection, where he was sneezing up blood. he had the operation and it has cleared up. no behaviour problems, generally pretty quiet except for his random outbursts of pretending to be a puppy, not one of the more affectionate dogs unless it suits him to sit next to you in the garden and drool all over your lap. wormed, vaccinated, no fleas healthy weight etc. just in general and good dog.
The second is Heidi, a 1 year and a bit old 3/4 rhodesian ridgeback, 1/4 rottweiler bitch.
we have had her since she was a puppy, no health problems, always willing to please and we've always wondered why we never got female dogs before. not quite past the puppy stage yet and she is ALWAYS hyper, always greets you, always jumping up, getting her nose into everything, trying to escape and eat the neighbours. not as much of a guard dog as rufus as she mostly just wants to play with things. very affectionate if she can sit still long enough for a cuddle. also wormed, vaccinated with no fleas. she has had one period (not sure of the technical terms) which was about 2 or 3 months ago, has not been snipped (once again, lack of technical terms) yet. didnt cause any problems, just confused rufus a little.

my problem is that heidi has recently changed a bit. i noticed a week or so ago that she has "filled out" i suppose, she has always been a skinny little thing, i assumed this was the puppy thing, all my previous dogs have been skin and bone until about 2 years old where theyve widened out and become more muscular and heavy. so i decided this was just heidi getting bigger.
then the other day my dad came home (he works abroad and comes home for a while every 2 months ish, the dogs both get along with him.), he has started digging up the driveway which is where we let the dogs run around in the mornings to go to the toilet etc. i figured this would stress them out a little because when he dug the garden up last time rufus got all stroppy and wouldnt go near dad.
then dad brought the dogs in from outside and i saw heidi suddenly go for rufuss face and rufus turned round and went back at her. they often play fight out on walks but that has steadily gotten less common as heidi has grown up and ive never seen them really fight before. dad didnt notice and they stopped as suddenly as they started, the same day i noticed it again.
this morning when i went to let them out, rufus came over to say hello and then heidi very suddenly barked, jumped out of her basket and flew at rufus but before she could get near him i stamped my foot towards her and she shyed away.
i noticed then that she is in her basket a little more than usual, and when she was fed, i noticed she took longer to finish.
i went riding during the day, when i got back i let them out while i put my bike away heidi suddenly went for rufus too quickly for me to stop her, they were both snarling and really looking like big scary dogs. i managed to grab heidis collar and pull her up onto her back legs, but she strained away still trying to attack rufus who wasnt really helping by standing there snapping his teeth at her. once she'd stopped (about 3 minutes later) i dropped her and she went inside.

i have now separated them, heidi is staying in their room and rufus is staying in the hallway.

i'm not sure what is going on, i have given as much detail as i can but another thing i have missed out is that since her period, heidis nipples have stayed quite large, they seem to have gotten bigger recently and are maybe a little red.

my mom is booking her in to the vets tomorrow so that we can arrange to have her snipped.
i'm wondering if maybe she might already be pregnant. we made sure that on walks she was kept on her lead but i know accidents happen.
any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
liz
attached (i think) is a prhotograph of the two of them playing. just because theyre nice :)
the chase2.JPG

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Dogs can only get pregnant when in heat. And if that was 2-3 months ago (can you remember exactly when you saw bleeding?), she would have already had the pups or would be very close by now. Was she ever left unattended where an intact male could get to her?

Anyway, a vet visit is the best thing whenever a dog shows behavioral changes or you have any health questions. Hopefully your vet will have some answers for you!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I would definitely take her to the vet. She could also have pyometra, which is life threatening.

However, Heidi is 1. It is not at all uncommon for dogs who were dog friendly as puppies to become dog aggressive to some degree as they mature. People think if you get the second dog as a puppy and raise it with the first, all will be well, but that's actually the opposite of true. Truth is, you're better off getting an adult who is dog friendly because the adult will almost certainly stay dog friendly, whereas the puppy may become DA to some degree or another.

Don't let the dogs fight. The more they fight, the more they fight. Be prepared to keep them separated forever, using baby gates and careful supervision. Whatever you do, do not leave them alone together when no one is home. That is asking to come home to two dead dogs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Liz
Like everyone said and perhaps it's a phantom pregnancy. The timing is right as they occur between 6-14 weeks after a season. If the rise of the hormone prolactin is excessive it may cause a phantom. All dogs are different and show different or varying degrees of behaviour and symptoms. Like nesting, grumpiness, weight gain, sudden resource guarding... The vet will know and if she is it's best not to have them spayed until it has completely passed - usually about 2-3 months.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Hormones are fun! Not really. I would get her spayed and that might help settle her, also don't let them fight and up the training sessions with both so you have great verbal control and can stop them before they're flying at each other.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hormones are fun! Not really. I would get her spayed and that might help settle her, also don't let them fight and up the training sessions with both so you have great verbal control and can stop them before they're flying at each other.
Well yes don't let them fight.... I would get her to the vet and if it is pyometra they will spay her immediately ad f she does have symptoms of a phantom pregnancy the vet will recommend to wait for the hormones to pass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts