Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hes 7 months now and we got him when he was 1-2 months old.

During the third month he was able to do simple commands like 'Sit' 'Stand' 'Stay' 'Down' 'Outside' but now hes a bit older hes doesn't listen to the commands even with a treat in my hand.

- He doesn't make eye contact at all
- He barks at people outside of the garden (Even when visiters sometimes)
- When he sees people near by he jumps them
- Keeps digging up the garden
- Shows his teeth at times when he doesn't get what he wants
- When i take him for a walk no matter what size leesh he will pull the heck out of it and gasping for breath which is really hard to walk with. He does stop after 5-10mins of walking with the pulling but still...
- Nonstop whining when people aren't around him

When he does bad we do tell him off by saying 'bad' or 'no' but he still does it and i have no idea how to handle it.

Im the only one in my family who is able to walk him because the girls in my family say they are too weak to handle him pulling the leash which is completely screwing over social life.

I read that you have to use treats to help him learn past this stuff but he just doesn't care if there is a treat in front of him or not.

Can anybody give me any tips on how to make him obedient? With age will he stop with the bad habbits like eatting everything and rolling in other dogs poo?

:(
Dunno if it makes a difference but its a Border Collie

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
He needs more exercise to start. How much exercise does he get now? Walks won't do it for a Border Collie. . .he needs to RUN. Get a long line (or make one yourself from rope or clothesline) and take him to a big open field to run. He won't be able to concentrate at all if he's underexercised..

If he doesn't want treats, you have to figure out what he DOES like. A toy? Being pet? or maybe he needs a better treat (cut-up hot dogs are good)? Once you figure it out, use that for a reward.

I'm guessing he's an outside dog? It's very difficult to train an outside dog, only because they don't really get enough human interaction, so they get crazy every time they see a human. He needs as much attention and interaction as possible.

It doesn't really sound like the rest of your family members are committed to this dog :(. It may be best to try to find him a better home.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Take the dog to obedience school, then advance to other things like agility and rally. Border Collies need lots of mental and physical exercise. They are highly intelligent and very high energy. School will give him the socialization skills he needs and it will also teach you how to train him or exercise him:)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Agree that he needs more exercise.Do you have dog parks where you are? Is he friendly to other dogs? Maybe you can take him during a slow time (early morning/mid day), and let him get a chance to really run. Try walking him for 45 min briskly twice a day for 2 weeks and see if you notice a change.
Dogs are great for meeting people (women, especially!...most girls will go over to see a dog being walked by a guy, if they are interested in the guy!). So dogs really can HELP a social life, not hurt it. And obedience classes have lots of people that are very friendly in them.
Learning agility can be a blast. Or flyball, or herding. Or Frisbee. Border Collies are GREAT frisbee dogs.

As mentioned, until you get the excess energy out, it will be impossible to train him. Also try using different treats, like tiny pieces of cut up hot dog, or dried liver, or pieces of cheese. Or if he has a favorite toy, you can use that.

Once he has been exercised, look up the thread on here, "Loose leash walking". Also NILIF.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Although, I am DEFINITELY not an expert on the subject - exercise is a huge one! But it also sounds a little like some dominance issues (barking, showing teeth, generally not paying attention); collies bread to heard WILL heard you - aka be the leader if not properly "advised" otherwise. I just say this because I learned very quickly with our puppy (American Bulldog) that if I was not the leader, I was not going to win. Also, you have to be more stubborn than they are.

Try when your out (what worked for us anyways) when he starts pulling in one direction - quickly turn in another, gentle tug on the lead and use a command like "follow" or "come" and when he follows treat - it helped get Loki to pay attention and learn to heel when told.

If hes digging - cut cayenne pepper out there - would you want to stick your nose in that?

I know it sounds corny - but before we got our puppy I did a lot of youtube surfing, watched Caesar Milan and Brad Paisley and picked up Puppies and Dog Training for Dummies - simple stuff with simple answers!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Dominance theory and many of Cesar's methods have been debunked. That kind of thing is utterly unnecessary and frankly ridiculous. And will probably damage your relationship with your dog badly. And Brad Paisley is a country singer. . .do you mean Brad Pattison? He's an abusive jerk who shouldn't be allowed within 50 feet of a dog.

Anyway, I agree that a good puppy class should be helpful. Flyball, frisbee, anything that uses his mental and physical energy. Also NILIF (look it up!).

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Dominance theory and many of Cesar's methods have been debunked. That kind of thing is utterly unnecessary and frankly ridiculous. And will probably damage your relationship with your dog badly. And Brad Paisley is a country singer. . .do you mean Brad Pattison? He's an abusive jerk who shouldn't be allowed within 50 feet of a dog.

Anyway, I agree that a good puppy class should be helpful. Flyball, frisbee, anything that uses his mental and physical energy. Also NILIF (look it up!).
I agree!!!

·
Banned
964 Posts
Border Collies are high energy dogs that like to interact with people.(we had one when I was a kid).
Sounds like yours is kinda bored...
Start interacting and playing with your dog more ..

·
Registered
180 Posts

yes! omg Pattison :doh:- I do agree his an a** and I know Milan has been debunked but when your learning it could be helpful to have many theories - it helped me is all I was getting at; something to look at and to see what works for you.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yes, but if someone with not much dog experience looks at those kinds of trainers, he's likely to ruin his dog. Without experience you don't know what to keep and what to ignore (I know because I ruined my first dog that way). There are a lot of better choices. Check out the "recommended reading" sticky in this forum :).

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
7 months old... sounds like the "teenage years!'

More exercise will help, training classes will help, just push through it and don't let him get away with anything.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The problem behaviors you described are all trainable issues. The things you taught him when he was younger are great: sit, stand, stay, down, and outside. BUT, all the other things you mention have to be TRAINED/TAUGHT. Dogs don't just automatically understand that they can't: jump on people, dig, bark uncontrollably, whine, etc. Those are things you have to put time and effort into training them NOT to do, and what to do instead.

It sounds like he is under exercised, under trained, and bored.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts