Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had Kabota for 2.5 months, and it's been way too cold for much work outside (let alone too dark after I get home from work), so we haven't worked much on commands outside. So I'm not upset that we have terrible recall at the dog park. We'll be working on it. I just thought this was funny.

Kabota was having the best time, but we had to go, so I'm approaching him and saying "Kabota, c'mere", which isn't working. At all. After a minute, I feel a lick on my hand. I look down and there is an old mastiff patiently following me around, waiting to see why I called him.

Apparently, I have fantastic recall- with other people's dogs! :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a pretty good recall with both of my dogs which came in pretty handy a while back when we had the "crazy skunk encounter"..... Now if I could just get a recall on my 8 year old son... lol! :wink:

·
Registered
801 Posts
My dog has good recall with me but the problem is she has good recall with other people to. I no longer take her to the dog park but when I did and someone else was calling their dog she'd always reach them first.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kabota's latest thing at the dog park is when he sees someone throw a ball, he grabs the nearest ball (there are lots of dead tennis balls on the ground) and runs up to them with it. He's used to me praising and treating him to teach him fetch, so this is his way of getting attention, and possibly food, without having to compete with another dog for the thrown ball.

I'm actually kind of impressed with his initiative.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How's your in-house recall?
If you are going to the dog park, make sure that you aren't recalling only to leave. Dog figures out really fast that calling means leaving fun activity! Recall a few times before leaving and make sure you reward richly for compliance - also don't recall when you can't enforce or dog learns that he doesn't have to unless on leash or other restraint.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Inside the house, recall is perfect. I can even call him when he's upstairs in the bedroom and I'm downstairs in the kitchen. Outside in the backyard, without too much going on, with a long lead, of course, is 50/50. At the dog park is a whole 'nother story. He is just way too excited to be off leash, to be seeing other dogs, to be running just to run. I can, occasionally, get him to come over to me for a pat, and he'll check in with me sometimes, but we just haven't been able to work on it enough.

Part of the problem is, he's easy enough to train with clicker/treats, but neither are allowed at the dog park. I get why, food could create a terrible situation with a dozen dogs off leash all amped up, and if another dog hears the clicker, you may end up training someone else's dog to do something odd. So I don't disagree, but it makes working on recall in that environment difficult.

Once the days are long enough that it will be light out very early in the morning, I plan on going up to the dog park very early, and if no one else is there, pull out the clicker and the treats and work on recall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts