Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:clap2: Okay so yesterday I went shopping and decided to buy three kongs for my boys and some liver flavored kong stuffing. The dogs LOVE it! Kodi isn't a big fan of the liver stuffing so I put soy nut butter in it and he went to town. I use soy nut butter because I'm deathly allergic to peanut butter and it tastes the same as PB and with less fat.

Any ideas on what else I can do with these nifty things? I swear I wish i had gotten them sooner :rockon::rockon::rockon:

·
Registered
475 Posts
My dog doesn't care much for Kongs which is a shame. If I put treats in them, she's too smart for that (picks it up by one end and literally shakes it until all the food comes out), and if I put peanut butter in it, she spends a few minutes furiously trying to get at it, but then basically just leaves it alone realizing she's not getting anywhere fast and comes begging for me to give her some of MY food. She likes when things come out of it, rather than having to jam her tongue into it.

I'm thinking of making a puzzle-treat-toy for her out of a container instead, poke some holes in it and put the treats inside, so she can at least get a treat out now and again, but without being able to just shake it and get all the treats out at once :D

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Yeah Kongs! I need to go buy a new one. ET ate the last one. She loves Kongs, even un-stuffed. I make a mixture of kibble, chopped veggies, cheese, PB, cottage cheese or basically anything dog appropriate I ahve laying around. I mix it all up in big batches and keep it in a bowl in the fridge. But, write on the bowl lid REALLY BIG that its for the dog's. After a couple of beers one night, Glenn almost ate the kong filling ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Awww lol Some dogs are indeed too smart for their own good XD I want to learn more about puzzle treat toys myself because my dogs are all very energetic and I can't always keep them occupied which can sometimes lead to chaos. Btw Miss Samantha is a very beautiful girl. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Congrats on your discovery! I was lucky to have discovered the kong immediately upon bringing my dog home. We decided a kong would be his special thing that he only gets when he's in his crate. Worked like a charm. At first I just mixed his kibble with some PB and stuffed it in there. THen he got so good at it that he was through in like 2 minutes flat. Now I soak his kibble in broth until it's good and soggy, then mix it with PB or yogurt and freeze it till it's rock solid. That gives him something to do for at least 20 minutes or so. He can't wait to go in his crate at night and get his special "kongsickle" as I call it!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on your discovery! I was lucky to have discovered the kong immediately upon bringing my dog home. We decided a kong would be his special thing that he only gets when he's in his crate. Worked like a charm. At first I just mixed his kibble with some PB and stuffed it in there. THen he got so good at it that he was through in like 2 minutes flat. Now I soak his kibble in broth until it's good and soggy, then mix it with PB or yogurt and freeze it till it's rock solid. That gives him something to do for at least 20 minutes or so. He can't wait to go in his crate at night and get his special "kongsickle" as I call it!
Kongsickle XD lol I like that! :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Awe, Thanks! :)

I was thinking something from this line might keep her busy: http://www.busybuddytoys.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/toys/busybuddy
I don't recommend the "bouncy bone", its WAY too easy and the bone part is too hard to play with after and the ball is heavy and not so fun as well. One of those $15 toys i picked up a few days after getting my dog after they talked me into it! You may have better luck than me, but you can tell the treat is super easy to get off, that part I know.

·
Registered
692 Posts
After a couple of beers one night, Glenn almost ate the kong filling ;)
Thanks for a good laugh. I so could see my husband doing that as well. He likes to wonder around after he's fell asleep on the couch and try to fix a snack. I could see him getting himself a nice big bowl of Kong stuffing...LOL LOL

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
What kind of Kong did you get ET the black or the red? I read that the black ones are better for notorious chewers since they are more durable. I wish I could give my dogs cheese but they have umm "delicate constitutions" XD as my mother puts it.
Adds link to favorites :) Lol They would love these!
I got the red one last time. I'm going to buy the black one now.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Aren't kongs wonderful. I use them all the time it seems like. I have two for each dog so I always have one to over come the "psycho zoomies" that occasionally occur. I may have to put a third in rotation for each dog since we are now in an apartment - they are going to have to be nice for the neighbors.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I LOVE the black XL Kong I got Kodi (He ate the small red bone shaped Kong, so we got one that fit him and in black in the traditional kong shape) He can gnaw at it all he wants and so far, not one tooth has broken through, lots of dents but no breaks! Its a score for our household. Its safer than giving him the other time consuming treats (rawhides in our case) and we found that if you take a large dog Milkbone and shove it in the big end of the Kong, they can eat about half of the biscuit which gets them wanting the rest, and then he has to spend at least an hour getting it out. (Normally after an hour I help him) I also jam peanut butter in the small hole at the top and either Kodi licks at it when he gets bored of the biscuit or roonie will lick the it while Kodi still goes for the biscuit.

I give it to him when he doesn't know what to do with himself and has the "cant help its".

I don't know about any of the toys on the site, they looked like my Kodi would just chew them up.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Our puppy got pretty bored with a regular kong REALLY fast, although she'll always clean some frozen PB out of it any time I make one for her :D

Our big Kong discovery was the Kong Genius!!! WOW!! http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Kong-Genius/185093.aspx

We've got the "Leo" one. We use them for most of Caeda's meals. She'll take about half an hour to eat her food, and considering she's a Swissy, a breed prone to bloat, this is a VERY good thing! No food gulping since there isn't a hope that she'd leave them uneaten until they're all out. Multiples can be joined together, and we are looking forward to trying that. I highly recommend them....they aren't cheap (where we live, to buy in the store its $22!), but worth it!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Tough call......Its held up well to ours, and so far I have no qualms about leaving her unattended with it, she's still a puppy though (but teething). It does say for average chewers. It seems pretty solid to me though, but I've never watched a dog who was a super heavy chewer.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Kongsickle XD lol I like that! :)
Ah, I have one better. Around here we call frozen Kongs pupsicles. :p My roommate called it that to be punny one day when he saw it in the freezer and it stuck, lol.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah, I have one better. Around here we call frozen Kongs pupsicles. :p My roommate called it that to be punny one day when he saw it in the freezer and it stuck, lol.
My boyfriend jokingly threatened to turn the dogs into pupsicles if they didn't stop digging and escaping. We even discussed what kinds they would be XD Lol Gizmo was Drumsticks... Taz was a Klondike Bar... and Kodi was an Ice Cream cake. He and I are so weird.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just discovered the Kong today too! Actually, I've bought them 3 other times for other dogs, but Scooter (my new pup) is the first one to like them. He's eaten all of his meals out of the Kong today. I noticed that it made him wayyy more mellow. It must be the mental stimulation. I'm going to pick him up another one and maybe some of these other toys that posters have suggested.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts