Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 year old yellow lab. He has been puking for the past 3 days. Sometimes he keep his meal down for 5 or 6 hours and sometimes he pukes right after his meal. he has been eating his meal slower than usual. Also his poop has been black instead of the usual brown. I was hoping he would get better but he appears unchanged as I just let him out back and he went and ate grass and puked again. I guess we will be going to the vet in the next couple of days if not better. Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
This is really worrying... three days of not being able to hold down any meals?? Take him to the vet tomorrow, not after a couple of days. Give him some Gatorade if you can, and definitely keep a constantly supply of fresh water around as he's very dehydrated.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I agree vomiting for three days and loss of appetite is not a wait and see situation. Get him to a vet asap! He's a lab, I'll bet money on a foreign body stuck somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No puking overnight and he has kept breakfast down so. Making vet appt. today. He has kept some meals down till the next meal without puking. i feed him twice a day. I will keep you posted.
Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My question would be....WHAT are you feeding him, and how much. Maybe it's the food he's eating also. I agree with all the others, 3 days of puking? I would of went at the second day at least. He/she might be really dehydrated. Also, another thing i'd be feeding him/her when sick would at least try hamburger mixed with brown rice. That is usually good for them when sick. But please do go see a vet......asap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has not been sick in more than 24 hours. Poop was back to brown today instead of the black. He has been eating EVO chicken for the past 2 years (1cup am, 1.5cup pm), so I don't think it has anything to do with the food. I also have another lab on the same food.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Update"

Went to vet on Tuesday. Did exam and thought he had an obstruction. Did x-ray and no obstruction just full of stool. They gave him an enema. Took him for a walk out side and he pooped, vet said that was only about half of what was in there. Took him home, with meds and prescription canned food ($311 later). Tries to poop when at home nothing comes out except small amounts of blood. We call on call vet, they say watch throughout the night and take to emergency if bleeding get worse if not bring back in morning and do not give the meds or food. Every hour through the night he goes out side and tries but gets nothing but gas and a little blood.
Back to vets in the morning. They take another x-ray and say he is fine and empty, must have just had gas all night ($154 more).
He had a can of food and his meds last night and this morning and all seems well no puking or pooping yet.
Seems like a lot of money spent on constipation. Vet wants to know what we were feeding him. EVO for the past 2.5 years. They looked at the ingredients and said it looked good.
The diagnosis is he needs more fiber in his diet, they said add some canned pumpkin to his meals.
Lot of money to tell me he needs more fiber, been on the same food for 2.5 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts