Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother who has spent the past 10 or so years living with us on and off (about 7 years with us - 3 with his ex fiancee) moved out two weeks ago. It was like a party. He moved about six hours away to be closer with his new girlfriend he's known for like..a month.

My problem: When he moved back in with us in February he brought with him two Ferrets - and a few months later we found out that he had sneaked a cat into the house that he got from his ex fiancee's friend and had been here about a month already when we found her (he lived in the basement and demanded that -no one- go in his room so we didn't know).

When he left - he asked me to take care of the animals for TWO weeks. He would be back for them. He hasn't come back and talking to him ended up in a fight. I heard a rumor that he wasn't going to be back until closer to the end of October for his hearing. He didn't leave me any money for food for the animals or anything.

I would -love- to keep the cat but we just can't do it. She's an amazing cat, super friendly, loves to cuddle and purrs up a storm when you look at her. I can't keep her though same for the ferrets. My brother told me do whatever with them because he "has no money and can't get back out here for them".

I don't know what to do :(

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Wow.............so sorry. I would not know what to do myself given your situation. My main concern would be how your pup will react to a cat? I hope you find a solution. Is there a relative or close trusted friend that might be interested in having the cat? I would say he gave up his ownership when he abandoned them. No offense intended. :)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bella wants to eat her. We tried an introduction that ended up in my SO's arms getting torn up by the cat trying to get away. I don't think the cat had ever seen a dog before. Bella sits by the basement door waiting/watching. I asked my SO if his parents would like her but he told me they wouldn't like another cat. So I'm out of options there since his parents were the only people I know that like cats. :(

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Ferrets are reasonably easy to place, and all ferret-specific shelters/rescues are no-kill (as much as is practicable, of course). If you can't get a shelter/rescue to take them, place an ad on craigslist or somewhere; you should get lots of calls/e-mails and you can screen them to find the right home. It would be best to bring them up-to-date on their shots (rabies and canine distemper) first, so that if the new home already has ferrets they won't have to worry, but if you can't afford that, I'm sure you can still find someone to take them.

Cats, on the other hand, are extremely hard to place :(. There are simply too many cats and not enough homes. Is she spayed? If not, that should be done ASAP (or you could end up with a few dozen more kitties!). You might be able to find a low-cost option if you live near a larger city. Ask around to see if anyone you know wants a cat, post ads in vets' offices, etc., network with a local rescue (who probably won't have room to take her). But don't expect a quick placement. It's just so hard with kitties.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'll look into the ferret shelter/rescues! Thanks guys! I actually didn't know such things existed :3.

Like I said this wasn't supposed to be permanent. And it was really kind of sprung on us over the course of a week. My brother was like "Oh, well I'm gonna go out towards Pittsburgh and look for a job and I should be back after a week - maybe two at most to get them" So he asked me to watch them till he could drive out here and pick them up. And then his dad who he's living with told my parents that he wasn't coming back until his court hearing at the end of October. And he didn't leave me any money to take care of the animals. Like he got out there and then he calls me that night and goes "I forgot to get them food!" Yeah..

I also know -nothing- about the cat. Not how old she is or if she's spayed (I also don't know the age of the ferrets but I do know one is deaf!). I'll post a couple pictures of her. She's incredibly beautiful. All she wants to do is just purr and purr and be pet. And she has the absolute most softest fur -ever-!

Pictures of the kitty with no name!

I have no clue what kind of cat she is - but she has like eight toes!

She's so unbearably beautiful - I really wish I could keep her :(
She has green eyes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Perhaps your SO's parents will change their mind when they see how beautiful and affectionate she is. It doesn't hurt to ask them directly--hopefully your SO is wrong about them not wanting another one ;)

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
"Do whatever with them because he has no money and can't get back out here for them" = "I don't want to deal with this but now if they end up at a shelter YOU are the bad guy instead of me and I'm pretty sure you won't let anything bad happen to them anyway." At least IME, but I'm extremely jaded by this kind of BS emotional blackmail from people.

If it were me, I would tell him "I can keep YOUR PETS until X/X/2011, then they are going to rescue." (Even if you intend to actually keep the cat until you can make other arrangements or find a rescue you're comfortable with). It's funny how quickly people magically come up with a solution when you make it clear you expect them to be responsible and you're not cleaning up their mess for them.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Keep the cat, keep the ferrets get rid of the brother. Yes, I know you can't get rid of brother but he would never be allowed to spend another night in any home you are living in. The cat is gonna have to be separated or PTSed if a home can't be found. The good thing about this is that the trouble and extra work you have to do to keep cat alive should be incentive needed to keep brother out of your home now and in future. Trust me on this he will be back asking for something. I would hope that you are strong minded enough to eliminate future brother problems from your life. If not just be prepared for more crap in your life. I have no respect for animal dumpers as they are pretty low on the evolution scale. This is just me though.

Remember only you can stop more of this lack of respect your brother is showing you and his animals. As long as you are willing to be a rug he will not mind walking all over you.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Sass and wvasko.
Sass- My dad had already given a date which was this weekend -which is why him and I got into a fight. My father doesn't like him because he uses us terribly (he's my half-brother my dads stepson - my mom's actual son). But since he's my mom's son he's a perfect little angel and can do no wrong while we get walked all over by him.

wvasko - I know what you mean, believe me. I honestly can't stand him. He's a waste of space. He uses everyone but I can't convince my mother of that since in his 36 years of existence and all of the terrible things he's done she still doesn't see it. Even though since my mother is pretty sick I'm the one who lives at home and takes care of her to make sure she's okay - and he just uses us and doesn't do anything (literally - nothing -. Wouldn't clean up, wouldn't do anything unless asked, had a fit when asked etc) He's out in Pittsburgh right now bumming money from his real dad because he's "so broke".

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well doG willing and the creek don't rise maybe some day in the future Karma will just smack him. Also in the futre a home of your own where you are in charge. Eventually and it may take a while but users run out of people to use.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah :). A home of my own won't be for awhile. Mom has MS/Diabetes (just two of the major problems there's a bunch more) and she can't get around on her own - we live in a two story house and my father isn't home a lot (he drives a truck and can be gone for days) so she needs help getting up and down steps, cooking/getting food etc etc. Apparently of my three (half) siblings I am the only one who was raised responsibly and to care and love my parents and the things they gave me =/

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Yeah :). A home of my own won't be for awhile. Mom has MS/Diabetes (just two of the major problems there's a bunch more) and she can't get around on her own - we live in a two story house and my father isn't home a lot (he drives a truck and can be gone for days) so she needs help getting up and down steps, cooking/getting food etc etc. Apparently of my three (half) siblings I am the only one who was raised responsibly and to care and love my parents and the things they gave me =/
I just did the same thing for my Mom for the last 7 years and have three other Sister's and one also a user. Bless you for what you do. It is a hard job! It is sooo worth it though. My Mom has been gone one year now. I know I did my best. And what goes around comes around. :) I wish you all the luck in the world with the animals...................something most always turns out good for good people.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since I made this thread I found both ferrets and kitty with no name new homes! The ferrets went together to live with a very nice couple who have two other ferrets, a turtle and a guinea pig that live with the ferrets and a dog..of some kind! They're doing well and transitioned nicely and are no longer confined strictly to their cage. They have an entire room to run around and play in with the other ferrets, turtle and guinea pig!

Kitty with no name went to a different young couple and she now has a name! Miss Khloe. When they came to get her the young women just absolutely fell in love with her. She had told me that she had lost her cat of some 18 years I believe over a year ago and she saw (the now Miss Khloe) and had to come see her. She is now a happy bed lounging kitty!

Thanks to you all for your help and advice <3

1 - 20 of 30 Posts