Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like everyone to meet my new foster, Jasper (aka, Jazz, Jazzy, Jazz Music, and goofball). ;) He was just pulled from a high-kill shelter this morning. Drove a little over 3 hours to meet him and pick him up, and it was well worth it!

Jasper is a mid-content wolfdog (like my previous foster, Yuki). Unlike Yuki, this boy has been VERY well-socialized and adores everyone. Someone obviously did a good job with him. He is sweet, submissive and just the biggest, silliest goofball I have ever seen! He is just a darling.

As a bonus, he seems to be trustworthy around cats, perfect around other dogs, non-food-aggressive and already has some basic training (knows "sit" and "shake").

He rode the whole way home with his cheeks covered in yogurt and peanut butter. Apparently, he thinks a stuffed frozen Kong is better for scent-rolling on, than for eating. :p

Needless to say, I am falling for such a perfect boy *fast*, and if he fits in as well here as he seems to be so far, he may just get adopted out to myself. ;)

Sorry these photos aren't the best - they were taken in the shelter and on the car ride on the way home. He is "perching" on my mom in the photo - he loves to gently hop up, place his paws on your shoulders and just grin this big grin, looking around blissfully. A very silly and cuddly guy.

Photos next...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marsha, want to bet more? I think it would be worth your while... :D

Here's one more quick pic of him. It's pretty bad since the flash was on and I was shooting through a window, but he is a real cutie! He's hanging out in my sunroom, where he can be housetrained without worrying about house damage, and he can watch Willow and Bandit safely from across the deck.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He definitely looks like a more rugged version of Bandit. ;) Bandit is just Malamute/Shepherd, not a wolfdog (perfectly clear when you see these two standing together!), but their markings are very similar. Jasper is much, much greyer than Bandit too. I'll try to get a pic later today!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Those pics aren't bad at all. He's gorgeous! But with 3 big dogs like that, you are going to have your hands full.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
He is gorgeous. I hope you keep him because I want to see lots and lots of more pictures.

(Yuki too, I'm sure, is way out there somewhere howling in approval of your new addition. :) )

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Those pics aren't bad at all. He's gorgeous! But with 3 big dogs like that, you are going to have your hands full.
Hey, what's new. :D I work from home, doing freelance art and photography projects, and running our little hobby farm (produce and eggs), so I'm quite used to not having much free time. I guess I must prefer it this way. ;) I really enjoy training and spending time with the pooches, and I think I'd be bored otherwise.

That said - not interested in taking on another dog! :) A woman must know her limits. ;)

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
He is so beautiful (just like all the others). I love those long legs. It makes you wonder, though, how dogs like these end up unwanted in shelters.

If you don't keep him, I'm driving up to steal him.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
e is so beautiful (just like all the others). I love those long legs. It makes you wonder, though, how dogs like these end up unwanted in shelters.
Oh man, I know! Well, this guy is a major escape artist, just like most wolfdogs are. I have no doubt that he could clear a 6' fence or easily climb out, just based on the feats I've seen him do since he arrived! He was found running stray, so my guess is that he escaped. It's obvious that someone loved him, but perhaps they didn't take the time to research wolfdogs and provide for his unique needs. He is also unaltered, which IMO, is extremely irresponsible when dealing with wolfdogs (even moreso than other breeds).

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
how old is he?....he sure looks alot like Bandit in one of those pics.....how much dog-wolf, do you know?

·
Registered
282 Posts
He is just beautiful! I hope you are able to keep him! :)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New foster ?
More like new adoption.
I REALLY DID intend to foster him, I swear!!! But I think it's becoming obvious that he might not be going anywhere. But, I still need to see how he gets along with Willow and Bandit. He hasn't had his full vetting yet (that's on Tuesday) so I need to get his all-clear before I'm willing to expose him to my two dogs. They have met through a sliding glass door and did fine, though, so I'm not terribly worried.

Notice I still haven't added him to my sig, that has to count for something, right!?

Or another way to look at it... there are so many needy wolfdogs in foster care waiting to be adopted already (and so few qualified homes!) that if I have the space, time and means to care for him, why send him through rescue when there are so many others that also need help?

how old is he?....he sure looks alot like Bandit in one of those pics.....how much dog-wolf, do you know?
I think he is about a year and a half, give or take a few months. It is very hard to guess on the wolf content of an animal, but my personal guess is roughly half. I haven't had a more experienced person evaluate him yet, though. There might be less wolf in him than it appears, because he's very outgoing, friendly and sociable... he might just have a more wolfy appearance with a (mostly) dog's spirit underneath. ;)

I posted new pics in the Dog Pictures forum. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts