Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, she is most likely a Boston Terrier/Pug mix, but she looks mostly like a Pug. I've contacted our local Pug rescue (Kentuckiana Pug Rescue) and they will be coming to pick her up on Monday.

She is a puppymill rescue and is two weeks pregnant. Here part of the message I sent to the rescue coordinator when I picked her up:
I picked the girl (her name is Bella, but I think that needs changed) up
today. I honestly think she came from a mill type setting. Here is what I know:

1. I gave her a much needed bath today. When I picked her up she smelled like
feces and cedar and had dirt all over her. I cleaned her up, cleaned her ears
(they were filthy), trimmed her nails (she was the first Pug that I've ever
bathed that didn't flip out when it came to nail trimming time =]), and wiped
down the wrinkles on her face.

2. On that note, her eyes are very runny. Her nose looks slightly runny as
well, but that may be because she keeps licking it at as an act of stress.
Either way I am keeping her away from my three dogs. [Her eyes are still runny, but she's stopped stress licking so her nose isn't runny anymore.]

3. When I bathed her I noticed she seems to have a hard knot on her side. She
didn't flinch when I touched it and scrubbed over it, but it is there. Almost
seemed like it was part of her rib???

4. She is *very* nervous. She has warmed up some and her tail isn't tucked as
feircely as it once was, but she is still very stressed. I think once she comes
out of her shell she'll be a very sweet, curious, spunky dog (and she seems to
like trash...I had her loose in our house for a short time and she kept
grabbing plastic bags and such, but wanted nothing to do with food, bones, or
toys). And even when she was cowering in terror, she never once gave any
aggressive signals. Discomfort, but no aggression. And when she hears a strange
noise she does this adorable little head cock. I didn't crate her in the car
and she rode wonderfully.

5. She has never worn a collar before or walked on a leash (and she won't walk,
but that may be due to nerves and not stubborness). She is NOT happy about this
cold weather and I wish I had a jacket for her so she wouldn't shiver when she
is outside. She hasn't pottied for me yet (been six hours), but she hasn't had
an accident either. She is currently chilling in our Lab's old crate.

6. The last tie she had with the male pug was last Monday, so she isn't far
along at all.

7. The owner said she was UTD on vaccinations except for a rabies, which makes
me wonder if they did a home vaccination type thing (which means Bella has
never seen a vet). Either way, she will most definitally need her rabies and it
probably wouldn't hurt to get the rest of the vaccs done as well.
She still hates the leash (which is a problem because we don't have a fenced in yard so all outside ventures must be done on leash) and is scared of everyone in the family but my younger sister. When no one is around she is a snorty, spunky, playful, inquisitive little thing, but if someone walks into the room (that isn't my sister) she slinks around like we are going to beat her. Any sudden movement or loud noise causes her to flinch.
She ignores the bird, does wonderful in her crate, potties outside (but poops inside), eats her food, gets along well with Chloe, and plays in the snow. Overall she is a very easy dog to have in the house, leash fright and shyness aside.
She LOVES to steal things and run off with them. LOL So far she has managed to find and play with a glove, a scarf, some shoes, a peice of paper, a frisbee, a kong, her squeeky toy, two plastic bags, one treat wrapper, a blanket, and a pledge bottle. :rolleyes: She is just like a Labrador puppy without the destructive powers.

I'm just glad I got her out of the situation she was in. Her past "owner" was an idiot.

Here are some pictures of her I snapped her first day with us:

I'll have to take some more of her now that she is more comfortable. She was suppose to leave today, but we got 6+" of snow on the ground and the roads are a mess so she is stuck with us till Monday now!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Aw, she's so cute! She kinda looks all Pug to me.

Thanks for taking care of her, it's so sad to hear these stories sometimes, but with people like you these dogs will have a happy future now.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OMG I love her....she looks almost all pug...possibly small bit of Boston or Frenchie?.....what is her tail like?....
She kinda looks all Pug to me.
If you look in the first picture, you can see her tail tucked up against her hip. It looks just like that when she is alert as well. A straight black thing sticking straight up in the air. I think it gives her character; looks like a little exclimation mark. :0)

I thought she may have some French Bulldog in her as well. The lady who owned her was also selling two Pug/French Bulldog mixes...I wish I could have gotten them out as well, but I didn't have the money. This girl was really cheap which was why I was able to spring her.

I just took some new pictures...will upload them in a sec.

Wish we were closer....I would foster her in a second !
Hahaha, if she wasn't so scared of all of us and we had a fenced yard, I would almost say I wish we could be the ones to foster her and her future puppies. But my mom and dad would have kittens if I even suggested it. LOL Although mom and my little little sister both have always wanted a black female pug. Mom even gave the pug a nickname now: PPP (stands for poopy potty pug). It is a term of enderment coming from my mom; she's nicknamed Chloe is SBBRD - stinky butt baboon reject dog.

Pictures! (She doesn't like me so she is still very nervous in these...except for the last one. I zoomed in on her.)

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
She is soooo sweet looking....

after going back and looking through a bunch of pictures of both mixes...I tend to lean towards a Boston/pug mix...only because in almost every picture of the frenchie/pug mix both or at least on ear was up just like a frenchie and BIG like the frenchie

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
Ahhh, she's beautiful! Good for you for getting her out of that horrible situation! She looks mostly Pug to me, but I do see a bit of Boston in there.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Oh, she does look sweet! I hope she finds a home quickly.
I hope she does too! She'll most likely be going up for adoption at the beginning of May (60 days for pregnancy, then two months for the puppies to get old enough to even begin to think about leaving her) so that will give people plenty of time to put applications in.

If she was housebroken and learned to walk on a leash she'd fit in well here. ;) As it is, we can't handle her long term at the moment. Our schedule doesn't allow for indepth behavior training to take place. But maybe by the time summer roles around....

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally was able to snap a picture of her showing her full personality. She was running around this morning playing with Chloe, her true pug personality shineing through. I grabbed the camera and took a couple of shots. I LOVE the last one.

I had crouched down to snap a picture of Bella because she was standing there with her tail up looking real cute...then the big ol' fuzz ball saw me crouched down and came over to say high.

Toy?

She took the toy! Jerk!

Puggy smile!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts