Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an almost 10 week old puppy, and was wondering when I should neuter him? The vet told me his balls have dropped and he humps just a little bit. When would be a good age to do this?

Also sometimes when I tell him no he growls at me or barks, sometimes it seems like it is in a playful way when i tell him no but is this normal? how do i correct him?

Also when he is being playful he doesn't seem to listen very well. We try to give him lots of exercise but he is getting over parvo and can't be walked or around other dogs for about a week more, so how do I teach him things when he doesn't listen? he knows hot to sit but even with treats he doesn't seem to be getting other things i try to teach him.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Neutering can be done between 4-6 months, but the puppy must be up to date on all shots first. Barking and growling is normal behavior, he's just playing. When training, train only 1 command at a time and training sessions should only last 10-15 minutes at a time or a young pup will lose interest.

What are you saying no to to cause him to bark or growl?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like if he grabs a cord, even puppy proofing he seems to find the one thing i didn't puppy proof. We say no when he bites us and give him a toy instead. He only growls or barks when we do that once in a while not every time. I just don't want him to become aggressive.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have an almost 10 week old puppy, and was wondering when I should neuter him? The vet told me his balls have dropped and he humps just a little bit. When would be a good age to do this?

Also sometimes when I tell him no he growls at me or barks, sometimes it seems like it is in a playful way when i tell him no but is this normal? how do i correct him?

Also when he is being playful he doesn't seem to listen very well. We try to give him lots of exercise but he is getting over parvo and can't be walked or around other dogs for about a week more, so how do I teach him things when he doesn't listen? he knows hot to sit but even with treats he doesn't seem to be getting other things i try to teach him.
I've recently become aware of some serious issues associated with early spay/neuters so I would personally wait until the dog is at least 6 months if not older to do it. Molly came to me spayed as a 10 week old & although there are benefits, there are serious risks. I'd do some more research on the pros/cons of waiting.

Play growling & play biting are normal. Take a look at the sticky called "The bite stops here" in the training forum for suggestions on how to teach puppy bite inhibition so that he has a soft mouth as an adult. You really don't want to discourage real growling in a dog. It's how they communicate and without it many dogs will go right to the bite, and you don't want that. Instead, try to figure out what the dog is growling at so you learn his triggers so you can work with him.

Also, "no" is a very general, non-specific word & dogs don't generalize well so saying "no" isn't going to get you very far. What are you trying to teach him? For basic puppy manners try these links: http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/Come-Sit-Down-Stay.pdf ; http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/PuppyTraining_0.pdf

Keep training sessions very short, really just a minute or two and then go back to play. Make it fun for everyone. Take a look, too, in the training forum for a sticky called "It's Yer Choice." That's a great video for teaching impulse control. I've just started working with the methods in the video & it's a lot of fun. Lots of fun stuff you can do to keep him occupied mentally & physically while he's still in quarantine.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Like if he grabs a cord, even puppy proofing he seems to find the one thing i didn't puppy proof. We say no when he bites us and give him a toy instead. He only growls or barks when we do that once in a while not every time. I just don't want him to become aggressive.
Teach him the "Leave it" cue for that. I love this video for learning how to teach it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAOe1djDyc

·
Registered
291 Posts
It is not essential to neuter a male . There are lots of studies that say if you don't they get testicular cancer and there are other studies that say they get all sorts of other problems if you do.

It's a personal choice thing and you need to read up as much information as you can on the subject and make a proper informed decision.

If you do decide to neuter, the timing depends on your dog breed. If you have a small dog - under 20lbs then 8 to 12 months, if you have a medium sized dog - between 20 lbs and 60 lbs then between 12 and 18 months. Over 60 lbs should not be neutered until they are 18 months old.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Another vote for waiting. 6mo at the minimum, longer if you can wait. But you need to be careful once he becomes sexually mature - you don't want to be responsible for any oops litters.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'd highly recommend some reading up on dog behavior since it seems like you don't have a lot of experience with dogs/dog behavior/dog language. Culture Clash by Karen Pryor is great, as is anything by Ian Dunbar. You can download them as e-books. Understanding what your dog is trying say or why he's doing what really helps built your relationship with your dog. For example, did you know that a yawn doesn't always mean a dog is tired? A yawn can also mean that a dog is feeling stressed out. Tail wagging can mean happy, it can also mean "you need to step back right now".

Also, he's 10 weeks old. It takes a while to train a dog. He's a baby. We don't expect human babies to do much more than eat, sleep and poop, so don't expect too much from a dog baby. Just approach training as a fun way to bond with your dog. Look up kikopup on youtube to learn how to clicker train and then do a few very short sessions every day with your dog. I rescued an adult and he was terrified of training at first. (I think his former owner made training a bad experience.) Now, he comes begging to work on sit and down. It's fun for him, he gets to show off and be told what a good boy he is and get a treat or two.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I will wait until he is atleast 6 months, what are some reasons to not neuter him earlier?
He looks from the pictures like he might be a lab? Small breeds mature more quickly and can be more safely neutered at 6 months. On larger breed dogs, the hormones that tell their growth plates to close are linked to sexual maturity. Many times the growth plates don't close until well after a year. Pups sterilized before their growth plates close trend to grow longer, and be "weedy" - narrow and tall, and more prone to injuries. Long bone cancers and some other cancers are more of a risk with pups neutered early.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is a lab/cocker spaniel mix. I talked to my bet about 2 weeks ago and he said that I should neuter him around 6-7 months old. I am a little confused on what to do. I am being told many different things and honestly don't know what is best.

·
Registered
703 Posts
All of these links are for books you have to buy. I'd skip them, and go with the free downloads and You Tueb videos, as well as this forum- which has A LOT of info!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I'd highly recommend some reading up on dog behavior since it seems like you don't have a lot of experience with dogs/dog behavior/dog language. Culture Clash by Karen Pryor is great, .
I am sure that was just a slip of the fingers, but Culture Clash is by Jean Donaldson.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts