Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...in my bag-covered hand.

I double-bag it and put it in my pocket so I won't have to carry it around. Don't tell anybody I said this, but I've been known to stash it in somebody's garbage on trash day.

I didn't always pick it up. My last big yella hound, I wouldn't let him stop to poop. Sometimes he lifted his leg on a mailbox and pooped. Sheer genius -- anybody passing thought he was just marking.

Everybody knows, in a wolf pack, the alpha male picks up the all the poop of the entire pack. I dare you to add that to Wikkipedia.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Don't have a dog? I don't like it either but if your going to own a dog its kinda a responsibility YOU took on. Also I doubt wolves in the wild have to worry about the pack next door stepping in it and getting angry....

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I use to hate picking up poop until I saw others NOT pick up their dog's poop. Now it's more of a high-horse feeling...me with my biodegradable bags and all.

Speaking of which, I just bought 960 for less than $30 on Amazon. Am I the only one who thinks of how many pennies are thrown away with each poop?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I put the nasty stuff in a belly bag. :) It just has to be done. I have a great " Original Pooper Scooper " device ... but who would carry something like that on a walk! Lol! :) I guess you could use it as a weapon though! Lol! :)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yeah, I'm fine with picking up my OWN dogs' poop (it's sort of part of the whole, "owning a dog" thing, IMO). But I HATE picking up other peoples' dogs' poop that they leave on my lawn. Or near my mailbox.

I pick it up in a poop bag (LOVE those Bags on Board things you attach to leashes!) and either just carry it with me until I get home, or put it in a public trash can if we are at a park or something.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Don't even get me started. It absolutely infuriates me when people don't pick up after their dog in the neighborhood. My community even puts out doggie bags and receptacles and I've seen where people have let their dog crap within 5 feet of the receptacle and they still don't clean it up. All I can think is ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?!

It's one thing if it's in your own yard, but I think people who leave their dog's poop around the neighborhood should have their noses rubbed in it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Melundie said:
It's one thing if it's in your own yard, but I think people who leave their dog's poop around the neighborhood should have their noses rubbed in it.
I COMPLETELY agree!

There are many things I prepared for when getting my dog.... These were things like the hassle of crate training, the cost of vet bills, the cost and time of a weekly obedience class, preparation of losing sleep while potty training, oh, and stashing many bags for picking up poo. Picking up poo sucks, but it's part of owning a dog. On top of that it's polite and not picking it up is usually against some city laws/ordinances/something.

Don't want to pick up poop? Don't walk your dog... but that's cruel so just don't get one.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yes it is just plain rude to leave your dogs poop in someones yard or in a community area. I can't tell you how many people even let their dogs poop on the sidewalk and it gets stepped on. My apt has sent out a notice saying they will kick you out if you are caught not picking up after your dog, I am glad because I don't want people leaving their dogs poop everywhere. I think that is one of the things that ticks me off the most about dog owners....

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hate it when somebody leaves their dog's poop in my front yard, but I'm kinda conflicted about it. I have a scooping device that works really well, and it saves my neighbor the indignity of handling it. I really don't mind doing them a favor, but they don't know that. It's kinda presumptuous on their part!

At the dog park one day, I asked a group of regulars, "if you saw one of my dogs poop and I didn't notice, you'd point it out to me, right?" They all nodded, sure we all do that. But I've never seen anybody actually do it. I've seen plenty dogs pooping unnoticed, but not that I recognized.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think there is a poop scooping culture depending on where you live.

It could be as big as an entire neighborhood or as small as one apartment complex.

In my parents neighborhood I see dogs around often but there is hardly any poop. And I always pick up after my dog.

In my petfriendly apartment, I don't see any poop around the building either, and I also always pick up my poop.

But 1 block away, there is another apartment where the lawn around is FILLED with poop, I mean, I can't walk 2 steps on it without stepping on poop. If my dog goes in that lawn, I'm not going to bend down and try to pick out my dog's poop from a pile of other discolored poop.

Anyways, I think whether or not someone picks up poop or not is heavily influenced by people around them. And once one person starts leaving poop behind, everyone will start to follow.

·
Registered
390 Posts
My neighbor used to let her little dog poop in our yard almost everyday. She stopped once I made a habit of picking it up and putting it on her porch. No one enjoys picking up poop; I always make Andy go a few times in the yard so I do not have the carry a bag full of poop for an hour. If he still goes, I suck it up and carry it around anyway.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's a novel called The Art of Racing in the Rain (Stein), a story about a human family told from the dog's perspective, which puts forth the theory that the poop handling is a penance imposed on mankind to compensate for being so strict with dogs.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had a gentleman in the neighborhood stop by my house while walking his pug awhile back. After trading dog stories for a bit, he handed me his "doggy bag" and said "oh by the way, would you mind putting this in your garbage?" Then he and Miss Pugsy quickly trotted away, leaving me "holding the bag"...

·
Registered
9 Posts
To be honest I try to be very good about picking up after my dog. But...my dog has gotten into a new habit of pooping in the bushes around my apartment. I am all for cleaning up but I am not about to climb into a bunch of bushes to get it. So I'm naughty sometimes but I do agree that if your dog poops where people can see or step then you just have to clean it up.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
CP: I don't ever recall seeing that video, thanks for posting that, has me laughing!
I abhor people who don't pick up after their dogs. We walk down a dead end road, there is a big open field next to one house (owned by her) and since it's her property, I can't say anything about her not picking up after her dog but when I see other people's dogs pooping and the owners not picking it up, I speak up. I get nowhere but I can't keep quiet

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Oh for crying out loud. Being an adult means doing things you don't like sometimes. I think not picking up poop is incredibly rude, and honestly I don't see what the big deal is about doing it. I have to pick it up in my yard, picking it up on a walk isn't really any different, it's in a plastic bag, and... it's just poop. It's not spent uranium.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts