Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to the local Humane Society because they opened their brand new building today. It's a $10 million dollar facility that was funded by private funds. Needless to say, it's a very nice facility. I don't approve of none of the dogs having any outdoor access, but all the dog condos open to a central play area so none of them are really forced to eliminate in their own living spaces. Knowing how well the place is run, I'm sure the dogs get walks too. I did not see urine or feces in any of the living areas for the dogs which I thought was quite impressive. Anyway, this is not what ticked me off. They had this 8.5 year old shih tzu.

The dog never would turn my direction so I couldn't get a great picture of her. Plus, it's a cell phone pic. Anyway, the relinquishment papers they had on her said that she had been turned over because she a) had accidents in the house after being kept there for 22 hours a day and b) was blind. First of all, how anyone can expect a dog to hold it in the house for 22 hours a day is just ridiculous. Second of all, how could anyone turn over a dog for simply being blind. It's ridiculous. The first problem is very, very, very easily fixed by just taking the dog out more often. The second by not being a bastard. I really hope these people get old and blind and their kids dump them off on some nursing home and never visit. Ticks me off.

·
Super Moderator
11,835 Posts
I get what you're saying, but it saddens me to read the frequent comment on dogforums: "I hate people."

For every example of human stupidity or outright cruelty, I see several examples of extreme charity, and not all of them are on dogforums.

I visit our local shelter frequently and I remember a forlorn-looking mutt that I saw there about a year ago. A few months later, I encountered that dog with her new family at the dog park. I barely recognized her. She was happy, confident, perky - everything she wasn't at the shelter. She was 7-8 years old and there were certainly more appealing-looking dogs at the shelter, but this family decided she deserved a chance and they provided it.

Instead of hating the people that surrendered her, I'd rather thank those people that rescued her.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I too have had these negative feelings toward individuals that can do these things to another living being. That said, I agree with RonE. IT is probably a lot more healthy to look to the positive things that happen. Even more importantly be a part of the positives. :) We can all do a little and all of those little things can add up to a large thing.
I hope the little blind Shih Tzu can find love and devotion. All dogs deserve it.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I seriously thought about adopting her. I even talked to my vet on the way home about what could be done with dogs who have full cataracts and partial cataracts (which is what the vet at the Humane Society said she had). My vet told me I should stick with younger dogs and that I already had one dog with health issues. She's probably right too. I can't afford cataract surgery on a dog and Brutus' meds too and I know it.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
It always makes me sad when I see older dogs in shelters:( Last year sometime I saw a 14 year old dog in the shelter! That made me very upset.

·
Banned
352 Posts
As the husband of a blind woman................I can authoratively say that I will NEVER wish blindness on anyone. But thats just me.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I wouldn't either....but I do admire those who are because they are much stronger and braver than me.

It's terrible that the shih-tzu was given up but you dont' know the entire story. And maybe the former owners couldn't afford the cataract surgery either, like yourself.

I understand how such a story can pull at the heartstrings and fire up anger but maybe someone will come along and give the little guy the love and treatment he deserves.

As an example of charity, a woman had called the clinic where I work. She was at an emergency veterinary clinic and her cat had broken his leg. She wanted to keep him pain-free or comfortable for the night until she decided what to do. They quoted $860 for one night. She told me that she can't afford that nor the surgery to repair the leg. She was thinking of amputation. Well, there was this guy there with a dog and he came up to her and offered to pay. So she came to my clinic where it would be cheaper. Her cat had the surgery and the guy paid for that night plus for half the surgery. that is quite a gesture.

So there should be less people for you to hate now.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
As an example of charity, a woman had called the clinic where I work. She was at an emergency veterinary clinic and her cat had broken his leg. She wanted to keep him pain-free or comfortable for the night until she decided what to do. They quoted $860 for one night. She told me that she can't afford that nor the surgery to repair the leg. She was thinking of amputation. Well, there was this guy there with a dog and he came up to her and offered to pay. So she came to my clinic where it would be cheaper. Her cat had the surgery and the guy paid for that night plus for half the surgery. that is quite a gesture.
Wow.
That made me tear up.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
For every example of human stupidity or outright cruelty, I see several examples of extreme charity
...like you, Hulk. Don't I recall that you rescued your pack somewhat later in their lives? And Brutus has cancer? Not everyone can do that.

The poor little shih tzu is just waiting for someone to come along and do for her what you did for yours. I look at my dog every day and wonder how anyone could have ever even considered surrendering such a wonderful dog. And it happened with two sets of previous owners!

I, too, get really ticked off when I see owners surrendering their animals for reasons they could have prevented (i.e. behavioral). But mostly seeing the animals in the shelters just makes me sad. In my search for a dog, it took several shelter visits before I could even talk to anyone there - kept getting choked up.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My grandmother recently adopted a 7year old silky terrier named Bella. she is fully blind and has skin trouble. i really respect my grandmother as everyone tried to talk her out of it, but she took bella anyway.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Here's another way of looking at it...

Obviously that Shih-Tzu's owners weren't capable and willing to keep the dog through it's long-life... Meaning instead of hating them for relinquishing their rights to her... Applaud them, because now, with much hope she'll find a home that will love her and cherish her... : )

·
Registered
442 Posts
I can totally understand where you're coming from. I think about Mayzie's previous owner and I get so angry that someone could have treated this sweet soul so poorly. It absolutely makes no sense to me and I would love the opportunity to tell that person exactly what I think of them.

But then there are people like YOU, Hulk, and so many other people on DF, who continually restore my faith in humanity. For me personally, the only way I can deal with the crappiness that humans can dish out is to focus on the incredible love and generosity that they're capable of as well.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I read this and thought.. humm.. I don't particularly like people either.. and it is why I do live alone.

I rescued horses for years.. before and during college. I learned what ignorance and stupidity can do to an animal.

And I did all I could to reverse that part of humanity that I found unplatable.

Attached are two VERY graphic images.. a before the day she arrived at my house in September 1976 and an After.. in June of 1977.

The only way I could save this animal was to purchase her. The owners had repeatedly been reported to AC but this is considered livestock and they had food and water "on the premises." They had several animals.. cows and chickens too.

I could only save one. She was 3 years old.. and she grew 8 inches from September to June. I was just a kid.. 19 years old.

So, while I hate what people can and sometimes do to animals; and while I would rather spend time with animals than most people; there are bad and there are good. I try to take care of my patch of grass and do what I can to counter the bad.

These photos show one time I actually made a difference. We ain't all bad.. but you know that Hulk. Really you do...

BTW, people told me I was nutz to buy this animal. Some told me she would never live. Best hundred bucks I ever spent!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Our 10 yr old GWP (vanna)is blind and actually she keeps us on our toes because we have to be careful when in yard moving our lawn chairs around as anything new she can run into. The fenced in area is probably a 225 by 225 ft square with a couple 40 by 40 ft outshoots and she actually moves around quickly quite at home. (as long as we're careful with stuff) Since she is older instead of 4 to 6 time turned loose in yard it's probably 10 to 12 times dly as her bladder etc is aging also. She may be losing a step or 2 but I really don't know the split between blind and older. She has good days tormenting us, if she gets PTSed it won't be because of blindness, it will be because of pain in the buttness.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't know why this is...but after years of rescue work I've stopped judging people who give up their dogs.

I've had people tell me casually they just don't want the dog anymore; and then I see them out in the driveway crying like a baby. Then there are the people who tell me a 20-minute long tale of woe...and I see them laughing and smiling in the parking lot.

So the "intake" side is always rough. I focus my emotions on the happiness of the adopt-out side.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Jeez, how'd you ever get past that? I know for sure that I could never do the intakes at a shelter; I'd probably lose my temper with every case. :mad:
Well for my part, it's because you learn that rescue is much more about the animals rather then the people surrendering them (in most cases, anyway). If you spent all your time and energy getting angry or upset over the people who surrender their pet then it kind of sidetracks you from the main concern - the animals. And in the long run, WHY the animal is there really isn't that important. It's not going to change the situation so stress spent worrying about it is really a waste.

That's not to say that it isn't upsetting to hear about/see all the things that some rescues go through - you just get to the point where there are more important things then getting angry at any given person.

That's how I deal with it anyway.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I just went to the local Humane Society because they opened their brand new building today. It's a $10 million dollar facility that was funded by private funds. Needless to say, it's a very nice facility. I don't approve of none of the dogs having any outdoor access, but all the dog condos open to a central play area so none of them are really forced to eliminate in their own living spaces. Knowing how well the place is run, I'm sure the dogs get walks too. I did not see urine or feces in any of the living areas for the dogs which I thought was quite impressive. Anyway, this is not what ticked me off. They had this 8.5 year old shih tzu.

The dog never would turn my direction so I couldn't get a great picture of her. Plus, it's a cell phone pic. Anyway, the relinquishment papers they had on her said that she had been turned over because she a) had accidents in the house after being kept there for 22 hours a day and b) was blind. First of all, how anyone can expect a dog to hold it in the house for 22 hours a day is just ridiculous. Second of all, how could anyone turn over a dog for simply being blind. It's ridiculous. The first problem is very, very, very easily fixed by just taking the dog out more often. The second by not being a bastard. I really hope these people get old and blind and their kids dump them off on some nursing home and never visit. Ticks me off.
First let me say that having lived with old, blind and even incontinent dogs, I understand your anger and frustration. But hating people is never the answer. As irresponsible as these people were, at least they brought the dog to a shelter where she at least has a chance to be adopted or, if not, to be put down humanely. Friends of mine have a Pekingnese blind in one eye from juvenile catarcts that they got from a shelter. This dog was found on the streets where she'd evidently been dumped.

And be careful because there's an old saying about what you wish for others coming back to you tenfold.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts