Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a horrible person. I spent so much time and research in trying to find a corgi puppy and finally found one. Paid a huge amount of money for the cutest little face ever. Brought him home was loving on him fast forward 3 days later the puppy got extremely sick. After a large amount of money in vet bills found out he had giardia. This puppy was sick for over a month. He turned my life upside down in turn my other dogs got giardia it was a mess. He sat in a crate for a whole entire 4 weeks with no one touching him due to vet telling us it was contagious. The problem is I can’t bond with him and it’s not like me and is completely out of character but I seriously can’t stand this poor puppy. I have tried so many times and I guess my question is will it get better ? Per my contract I can’t rehome and I’m not giving him back to the breeder and losing out on over 3000 dollars. Is there light at the end of this tunnel. Full disclosure he doesn’t like me all that much either

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I'd say return him to his breeder. You can talk to them, and see if you could possibly get a partial refund.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Puppies are generally pretty terrible and bonding with them is often difficult. I wouldn't expect anything too grand out of him until he's older. The 4 weeks being in a crate with no socialization did not help, but what's done is done. It's like trying to build business rapport with an infant that was dropped on your doorstep. Neither of you speak the same language, one of you was pretty much born yesterday and has teeth like a shark, and both of you are stressed and your lives have been quite shaken up.

Have you started any training? Simple obedience? Short training games with lots of yummy treats are a great way to begin forming a bond with your puppy, and learning each other's language. Once the vet clears him for being out in public, I would also recommend getting him into a puppy kindergarten class.

If you still feel this way, returning him to the breeder is likely going to be your only option. Anything else is going to get you in legal trouble, or at the very least blacklisted by any reputable breeders in your area and in the breed (they do talk). You might be able to negotiate a partial refund. Even if you did break your contract and rehome...you won't be getting $3,000 for the puppy. Not when there's $600 corgis from BYBs available with a single google search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This post made me sick to my stomach to read....the chances of your puppy giving you giardia are so low and totally avoidable. Giardia is a common and curable sickness with bland foods and anti-biotics. I sympathize with you, as I know how messy it is, especially when you have more than one dog in the home. I know your vet mislead you and a part of this is not your fault, but this puppy is probably very scarred from being locked in a crate with no contact...the first 6 months of a puppies life are CRUCIAL when it comes to socialization and creating bonds. As the others have said, what's done is done and you cannot undo what has happened to this puppy. The road ahead is going to be hard and long because you have now missed out on crucial bonding time with this new puppy and he can feel your hatred towards him. You need to either take a long look in the mirror and accept the days to come are going to be long and hard, but it is NOT the puppy's fault, OR you need to rehome/return him so that he can go to a loving home and have the chance at a life he deserves. This is not an "attack" post, however, you absolutely have to do what is best for the puppy, no matter how hard the decision is.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yes, I have a problem with anyone acting as if giardia is the plague. It's not a disease; it's a parasite. People don't do the kind of things with feces dogs do and don't get it that easily. In Covid times with all the hand washing and hand sanitizers, it's probably among the things that has fewer incidences in humans than for decades previous.

If this puppy came to you at the usual 8 weeks and sat in a crate for 4, you still have several weeks of the most crucial socialization period left. At least do that much for him while you're deciding what else to do. Socialization does NOT mean having every person and dog you can find getting in his face. It means exposing him to new and different in a way he finds non-threatening and building his confidence.

I'm with LeoRose. At least talk to the breeder and see what you can work out.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Giardia is something humans can get but it is also everywhere in the environment. All dogs who drink out of puddles and any body of water ingest the parasite. Most dogs simply aren't affected by the amount they ingest, or they are asymptomatic. It would be concerning if your vet recommended not touching the puppy for 4 weeks.

As others have mentioned, regardless if you keep the puppy or return him to his breeder the next 4 weeks are absolutely critical. If this was my puppy I would literally be scheduling socialization sessions for 15+ minutes a day, 5 days a week, for the next month. Rain or shine, no exceptions.

But if you truly dislike having this puppy then returning it may be the best option. Some things are more important than money... Like your quality of life and this puppy getting a fair chance at growing up to be a mentally healthy dog.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm SO sorry you had such a bad experience with giardia, mine had it as well but luckily my other dogs did not get it. It's possible he had a strain humans could get (still super uncommon) but my vet just said not to let him lick our faces, easy peasy. Perhaps had things gone differently you may not feel this way about your puppy.

Although, puppies are satan spawn and the first 18 months of life they will try anything and everything to make you hate your life.

please look up puppy blues! It is super common and could happen even when everything seems to be going well! I had it with my first puppy when I was a teen, although things were not perfect with him. It took me about 6 months to really bond with him and get over my anxiety related to him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts