Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the place I used to work at was right next to a busy Ed that lots of cyclists went down, a couple of times (now there are a lot of loose dogs around that run at them to be fair ..... But still!!!) I was walking Josefina (on leash of course) minding our own business when about 5 cyclists web by & yelled "yaw!" & "get outa here!" to my dog while she was trying to use the restroom & it scared her to death!!!!! There at that other ranch there was not much 'room' to potty when the track is in use (neighbors that went the barn next to us we're doing gate work) so when the track is in use ther is only the small patch in the front along the front fence & I had no choice since Josefins won't go in her own excersise pen lol.

After hat day she developed a fear of cycles & became fear aggressive twds them, I noticed it was starting to uncles motorcycles & since I did NOT want it to move to cars I decided to do something about it. So I started training her to lie down when she noticed a bike or motorcycle & after a few months of hard estivated work it was pleasing to see her down BY HERSELF when one went by!!!!! I marked the behavior imediately :).

Anyway, what do you guys think? I caught them yelling at my dog after that & I told them in no uncertain terms to known it off. Has anyone had this prob before?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I took 'cyclists' to mean people on bikes, and with that, yes. People here think it's adorable to just ride their bikes past my dogs and make all the noise they can. Thankfully, Diesel is now over his motion-triggered aggression. if that's what you'd called it. It's not a prey drive, he had a problem getting aggressive towards things going fast.
If you mean people on motorcycles, no. The only people I know that ride would never do something so childish.
I did once have a guy in a mustang try to run us over once, though. Aleu, Diesel and I were in a ditch next to the road -long story- and this boy thought it was be hilarious to swerve at us and honk his horn. Aleu hit the deck, Diesel tried to chase him and I flipped him the bird.

Neither of mine developed a fear from it, but it sounds like you've got your situation under control. People are so rude.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It's yet to happen to us, but I know what you're talking about. We've had idiots in cars yell things when they drive by, but luckily our dogs never seem to give a damn.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No no the guys riding motorcycles were cool & would wave if they saw you (again I want to clarify that I was on MY property MY dog on a LEASH INSIDE our fence line which bordered the road) it is clear to see me standing there with a leash in my hand) I told one I was going to throw a stick in his spokes if I heard him ever tease my dogs again (it was a suburban type place where we were so the same guys went riding by all of the time). Luxkily we moved to the other place.

To the person who mentioned she looked coyote, she weighs about thirty lbs & stands about 20in tall- I have gotten a few of my friends mention that she looks / acts coyote...... What do you guys think? Here are more pics of her on my photobucket page- http://photobucket.com/dogsragoness tell me what you think (she is the small, light blue speckled one with half a tail)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Your photobucket link isn't working.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Gheeez I hate those pop up commercials right in the mdddle of looking at your pics Dogdragoness! My computer! uuugh!

I see what you mean about coyote! Wow! .....

I only have 4 wheelers in the woods I am bothered by. I worry about getting run over ... there is not much room to move up and over on to a bank and such ... sometimes those people fly through there .... come out of no where around a bend .... doesn't give you much time ...though you hear them first! :(

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
There is one cyclist in my neighborhood I love. He passes on the opposite side of Kabota (putting me between Kabota and the bicycle) and announces himself first, "Bike on the left!" so we're not surprised when he comes whipping up from behind us. I'm giving that man cookies this Christmas.

Everyone else on a bike can fall into a volcano as far as I'm concerned.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Most cyclists are yelling to alert you and the dog, and to avoid hurting your dog. You admit yourself that dogs chase after them in your area all the time, which can easily result in the dog being run over and both the dog and the cyclist being injured. Which is better, an injured/dead dog, or one that stays out of the way of bicycles? Also, I think the title of this thread is silly. "I hate you (no offense)" um, okay.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Most cyclists are yelling to alert you and the dog, and to avoid hurting your dog. You admit yourself that dogs chase after them in your area all the time, which can easily result in the dog being run over and both the dog and the cyclist being injured. Which is better, an injured/dead dog, or one that stays out of the way of bicycles? Also, I think the title of this thread is silly. "I hate you (no offense)" um, okay.
A dog is on a leash, with it's owner right there holding the leash, doing it's business. It's clearly not going to be running out in front of them. It sounds like they were doing it for meanness and no other reason.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I thought it sounded like they were doing it because dogs, maybe on-leash ones, had come after them on cycles before. If that had happened to me when I was biking, I would probably want to yell at dogs that came near me when I was biking too.

·
Banned
199 Posts
I agree that people shouldn't yell at a dog on leash, but I'm suggesting a possible reason why you might see cyclists yelling at a dog. Or maybe all cyclists are mean. Yeah, it's probably that.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I agree that people shouldn't yell at a dog on leash, but I'm suggesting a possible reason why you might see cyclists yelling at a dog. Or maybe all cyclists are mean. Yeah, it's probably that.
Lol. Let me quote the OP "again I want to clarify that I was on MY property MY dog on a LEASH INSIDE our fence line which bordered the road) it is clear to see me standing there with a leash in my hand" So, I can totally see this dog chasing after them from inside a fence on a leash. Or maybe all cyclists are stupid.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Lol. Let me quote the OP "again I want to clarify that I was on MY property MY dog on a LEASH INSIDE our fence line which bordered the road) it is clear to see me standing there with a leash in my hand" So, I can totally see this dog chasing after them from inside a fence on a leash. Or maybe all cyclists are stupid.
I understand your intent is to call me stupid. I was trying to give information that provided a viewpoint from the perspective of a cyclist. Not this particular cyclist of course, because that wasn't me. I can't make you like or empathize with a group of people that you obviously have a problem with, so I'm not going to try.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I understand your intent is to call me stupid. I was trying to give information that provided a viewpoint from the perspective of a cyclist. Not this particular cyclist of course, because that wasn't me. I can't make you like or empathize with a group of people that you obviously have a problem with, so I'm not going to try.
No it isn't, actually, even though you're taking it that way. A person would have to be stupid to think a dog behind a fence on a leash trying to use the restroom is going to come after them. You were the one who took this from being about these few individual cyclists to ALL cyclists. "Or maybe all cyclists are mean. Yeah, it's probably that. " You opened the door for sarcasm and smart remarks, so you got one back. I didn't say a thing about ALL cyclists, you did. Lol.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I hate cyclists the way I hate drivers of cars, fiercely when I'm on the receiving end of their bad behavior, not at all otherwise. (I walk everywhere, drivers are obnoxious when you walk everywhere.)

Announcing "Coming up behind you" or "On the right" is one thing. Screaming and yelling at a dog is another thing and that thing is foolish. I'm sure cyclists have been chased or bitten by dogs, so have I while walking, but I don't engage in behaviors that will incite dogs. Just the opposite, in fact. I'll cross the street or go out of my way to avoid dogs that concern me. Should I have to do that? No, but that's life.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Did someone suggest a Cattle Dog looks like a coyote..on a leash? Unless a dog is acting out towards a cyclist (barking/lunging, etc) I cannot think of any reason for someone to yell at an on leash dog

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes ppl on bikes, I don't know, there are a lot of loose dogs in that area, but I'm sure they saw her & I'm not actually short & easy to miss :/, I think they just had had so many probs with dogs charging them that they decided to "get back" at dogs by yelling at mine I guess :/.

Someone said they thought my dog looked like a coyote ...... She does I think, which inspired the thread next to this one somewhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts