Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Finnlee is a 12 lb Chiweenie/Papillon mix. He's 22 months old. Where we live all dogs must be on leash outside. He was harnessed and on a long lead. I heard my neighbor's door open and saw her dog's lead. Finnlee hasn't met this dog officially yet so I gathered him and the lead up to go inside. Unfortunately before I could get the door open and him in the other dog was upon us. This dog is about 40 lbs and looks like an English Bulldog/Pit Mix. The owner had her on some kind of rope and a choke chain. Before I knew it she broke the lead and the collar slipped off. She rushed us aggressively and I pulled Finnlee back to my legs and she kept coming. He was snarling and growling and snapping. I hauled him up but couldn't hold him. So I had it set him in my patio chair and she kept going for his underbelly/groin. The neighbor finally got her off and I got him inside. The neighbor took her dog home and can back to check on Finnlee. Offered to pay any vet bills. I told her he had a small scratch on his privates. So I called the E-Vet 30 minutes away explaining what happened and that my dog was current on vaccines but didn't know about the other dog's vaccines. I was told that he was okay in terms of Rabies but to monitor for infection. What do I do to avoid a repeat of this incident?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,803 Posts
That's not so much a fight as an attack.

There's a lot the other dog's owner can do to avoid a repeat, but probably not a lot you can do, other than stay very vigilant and maybe carry a big stick.

If it ever happens again, insist on getting all contact information from the other owner and a copy of the dog's rabies vaccination. Even if it doesn't appear serious, it will let the other owner know that YOU take it seriously and possibly prompt them to take more care. And, obviously, you can never leave your dog unattended outside on a lead.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's never outside without me. I live in a quadplex and most of us have small dogs most under 15lbs. I loaned her one of my leashes and placed an order for a chain lead because the owner said Cracker chews leashes. I just want to be sure this never happens again.

·
Banned
625 Posts
Ok.....just so I understand. The other dog attacked your dog. Fortunately, your dog's injuries are minor.....this time.

You have supplied the owner of the attacking dog with a leash. Now, you are planning to supply a chain lead to this owner.

Why????

In my mind, if you supply these items and the dog escapes, then you are partially responsible for any injuries resulting from this dog escaping the leash/chain combination.

Frankly, I would present the owner with a copy of the local leash laws and report the incident to the animal control authority. This happened once....it will likely happen again. The next occurance could be your dog, a child, another dog.........or you. Injuries could be minor or severe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sometimes you just cant control it, My dog was attacked last weekend, at the lake. The dog got off its lead, and came towards my dog. My dog was off leash, as I was bringing him inside, from off his teather. Because he was off leash, I was able to grab him, and spin my way to a table where I blocked the attack from happening with my body... Not the best idea, and I was bit on the back of my theigh, but I'd take one for my Ol' dog any day

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sometimes you just cant control it, My dog was attacked last weekend, at the lake. The dog got off its lead, and came towards my dog. My dog was off leash, as I was bringing him inside, from off his teather. Because he was off leash, I was able to grab him, and spin my way to a table where I blocked the attack from happening with my body... Not the best idea, and I was bit on the back of my theigh, but I'd take one for my Ol' dog any day
What did the owner of the other dog do afterward? Did they cover your medical bill (if there was one)? Dis you know them?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Your dog was attacked, and there wasn't much you could have done differently. I would hope the owner of the other dog will be more vigilant and work harder to make sure her dog is secured in the future. This may just have been an unfortunate accident, and it is promising that the other owner said she would pay for any vet bills.

If it continues to be an issue, however, you should definitely report this.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What did the owner of the other dog do afterward? Did they cover your medical bill (if there was one)? Dis you know them?

There was no medical bill, It was a small puncture wound (and two to me because I was a idiot and put myself in the middle). The dog was my Aunts dog, so yes I knew the dog. After the fight the dog was scolded ( I do not reccomend ) and we took the dogs on a seperate walk together to cool down. They have not seen eachother since. I knew he was agressive, but he broke out of his crate, and then bolted out of the camper and attacked my dog. It was just a freak accident and I fully forgive his owners. I just am upset that all of my dogs reactivity (caused by fear of dogs) is now going to be worse because he's been attacked >->

·
Registered
121 Posts
Our dog used to love running around the dog park and having other dogs chase her around. Until she got bit by a husky at a dog park. Now, almost every time she see's a dog bigger than her she goes nuts lunging and barking, I think she's putting up a defensive front. Just something to keep an eye out for. I have no idea how to fix it if it happens.
And no, we don't go to dog parks anymore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finnlee is the same way now. Anything bigger than him that he does't know well causes a reaction. So I don't let him get close and turn and walk the other direction until I can get his focus back on me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts