Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have known [slaps forehead] -- I got the wrong food. It's an Iams for puppies -- has omega 3's which totally sold me. [hangs head in shame]

So, I'm looking at the dizzying array of food choices on this forum, including raw -- does anyone supplement with Mazuri? https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=2

Is there something I can pick up locally tomorrow to feed Ruby -- should I just get some raw meat? That kind of scares me -- it's not going to give her Mad Cow, is it?? Or parasites? Sorry if this is annoying, lol -- she's working hard to train me, I'm still learning the commands. :cool:

She's maybe a chi/terrier mix, 10 pounds -- I just got her today, so I have a vet appt next week to find out more about her "personally" (can I even say that??? shouldn't it be dogally? I hope she's not insulted, either way). They'll probably recommend their food.

I'm so confused!! Maybe I should have just given her my pizza. :eek:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Before you start feeding raw you'll need to a bit of research on it to make sure you're doing it right. Because it can be great when done right and pretty bad when done poorly.

As for locally available foods, I'm not sure what kind of pet stores you have around. It you have a Petco you may be able to get some Natural Balance or Solid Gold, both of which are decent brands. If you have any feed stores or independent pet stores, you may be able to get some of the premium brands like Orijen, Wellness, Innova, Evo, Timberwolf, etc. From there is will depend on your budget.

If you don't want to feed IAMS even for a few days, I can recommend bland chicken or ground beef (cooked) and rice. It's not exactly flavorful or full of variety, but my vet always recommends that when Max has an upset tummy. So I know at least it's safe and gentle on the tummy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't even want to know what lies behind the innocuous-enough "pretty bad" there, M'sH. I think I'll keep reading for a while on raw foods. :eek:

Ruby basically thinks Iams is repulsive and completly so '97 (I got this from a "look", I'm just assuming, but I'm pretty sure that was the full content).

So, the chicken/rice thing will probably work tomorrow. I have pork, too -- is that too rich?

Then maybe a feed store.

She's masterminding my weekend with very subtle powers. I'm totally impressed!!!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I would make up a topper, may she will eat some of it then. As easy as canned salmon or sardine or cook some chopped chicken, egg, ground beef and just add a bit plus any cooking liquids. Drain and rinse canned meats though, too much salt.

Or hang tough as she has just arrived. New dogs haven't any idea how things work at your house. Sassy didn't know that bowl with kibble in it was for her at first. I had to pick it up a couple times when she snubbed it. Keep things very calm and try to be very clear about what is what. THAT is your bed. NOW we put this on to go for a walk. NOW it is time to go potty. THIS is your bowl of food and you get to eat it NOW. Much quiet praise for getting it, ignore and redirect if she doesn't understand.

Don't fuss if she isn't interested in the food. Pick it up and try not to panic. Put it down at the next feeding for 15 minutes. Pick it up and try again. Always leave water down though. She will be fine for a day with no food at all if she is adult. If she is a baby then offer it many times through the day as if it is a regular meal.

My dogs are sending mind messages to her, don't do it, go for the good stuff. Up to you if you want to get fancy or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts