Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

I found your dog.... again.

Tags
loose stray
2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Kudzu 
#1 ·
I seem to be the neighborhood dogcatcher. I live in a nice neighborhood, but there's a bit more of a rural area on the other side of the road. On the other side of my across-the-street neighbor's lawn, there is a highway. I find dogs who are off of their leash and out of their yard all the time, they seem to drift towards the front of my subdivision (where I live). I will usually find about 2 a week. Sometimes they're the same dogs over and over, sometimes they're new dogs. I am pretty confident around them, as I help catch dogs for 3 rescues, and have only been bitten once by a dog I didn't even know was there.
Recently, a dog who has come to my house for years showed up with an injured paw. I took him back to his house, and they did the usual "oh, thank you for finding Riley! We were worried sick!" Once again, I asked them to please keep their dog secure in their yard, and today, I found him again. (Granted his paw was cleaned up and bandaged.)
I'm getting real sick of this. It takes time out of my day, and I have better things to do. However, I'm worried about the dogs going onto the highway. There have already been 2 killed this year there, a momma and her pup. Does anybody have any idea what I should do? I have even given out dog tie-outs and a little thing I made up about the dangers of the dogs walking around. I do not want to call the humane society, as I don't think the dogs should be put down because of this. Any ideas?

See less See more
#3 ·
If I find a dog with visible ID or one I know where it lives, I will return him/her ONCE. After that I call Animal Control to collect the dog...and fine the owner.

Humane euthanasia is a far nicer fate than being hit by a car, poisoned or who knows what sort of torture.

#4 ·
Now, the problem with the fining the owner part is most of them don't have a bunch of money laying around to pay the fine. I was looking more for a way to get through to them that they need to secure the dog. I guess it is a nicer fate, but our "humane society" uses the gas chamber, which I find horrific. Do you guys know if there's a way that, legally, a rescue could get possession of the dogs? They seem well-fed and pretty happy and healthy, just don't have good owners to keep them secure.

#6 ·
Do you guys know if there's a way that, legally, a rescue could get possession of the dogs?
Yes. Once the dog is relinquished to animal control, the rescue can go and pull the dog.

Make no assumptions about what other people can afford. If they truly want the dog, they will go and pay the fine and hopefully keep the dog confined to their yard. If they don't want to pay the fine, they can relinquish ownership of the dog.

#8 ·
I used to be far more forgiving and would keep returning the same dog multiple times only to have him/her out in the street the next time I walked past. All that does is enable the owner to continue neglecting their responsibility to their pet. Accidents happen, which is why Im willing to return dogs once...sometimes more depending on the situation. After returning my last "catch" to the owner one night and having her back out on the street within 24 hours and end up hit by a car before I could catch her again...no more. Contain your dog or pay the fine when Animal Control gets involved.

It is stupidly easy to avoid fines where Im at. Ive lived here over 16 years and owned dogs most of that time. Not once have I been fined. All it takes is a little common sense. Provide food, water and shelter, keep your pet contained within your property, leash him/her when you leave the property and pick up any solid waste he/she leaves while you're out.

#13 ·
Nope, just that the EPA allows it.
http://www.epa.gov/ttn/chief/ap42/ch09/final/c9s05-3.pdf
9.5.3 Meat Rendering Plants
9.5.3.1 General
Meat rendering plants process animal by-product materials for the production of tallow, grease,
and high-protein meat and bone meal. Plants that operate in conjunction with animal slaughterhouses
or poultry processing plants are called integrated rendering plants. Plants that collect their raw
materials from a variety of offsite sources are called independent rendering plants. Independent plants
obtain animal by-product materials, including grease, blood, feathers, offal, and entire animal
carcasses, from the following sources: butcher shops, supermarkets, restaurants, fast-food chains,
poultry processors, slaughterhouses, farms, ranches, feedlots, and animal shelters.

#12 ·
Being that the adoption fees at those rural municipal shelters are $5-$10, yeah, they do get more. It's not just the rendering plant though. They get tax money for "doing their job", figured by body count, they can sell bodies in good condition to the school or a school supply company for dissections, etc. They just don't really have any reason to try to get the animals out of there alive :/. And the conditions are usually not too great.

#14 ·
We had a big white dog that kept getting loose and wandering around and we live on a busy highway. We haven't seen him in quite some time. What worked? My niece caught him the last time and gave his owner a 15 minute lecture on the dangers of a loose dog and possible solutions hehe. She was very nice about it but I think the guy figured out a way to keep his dog home so he doesn't get trapped again.

#17 ·
Wow. It's horrible to hear about these animal shelter things. I know that one of the rescues near me rescues beagles mainly from animal shelters because they are easily adoptable and vet schools pay a lot for their carcasses for dissection.
However, I was hoping to get this conversation kinda back on the topic at hand. I don't want this forum post to go too astray...

#18 ·
If the animal (dog)is not wearing a id of some sort it I considered a stray. You say you work for 3 rescues. Next time one of these repeat offenders show up the ones without tags call the rescue and see if they will take the stray. If those owners really care about their pets they would keep them confined and at least have id on the dogs that tend to stray. You can call your local AC and see what is considered a stray and the holding time for a stray dog. That is if there is any stray time for a dog in your area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.