Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just need to share my excitement!

I've been thinking of eventually doing Rally with Mercy once we finish our Basic Obedience class. Unfortunately, our current trainier doesn't do Rally, so this morning I sent out a bunch of emails to local training centers just to get a feel for them.

The first one that responded gave me a factual, but very terse reply. Not so much as a "Hi, there. Thanks for your interest." I was a bit disappointed, since this was the closest center to my house.

Then I got my second reply. I know it is just email, but I really got the feeling that she was genuinely happy to answer my questions. Not only that, but she asked me about my long term goals and made some suggestions for other classes that Mercy and I might like want to try, since I'm not 100% sure I actually want to compete. She just gave off a really happy, excited enrgy and I can't wait to work with her! :whoo:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Congrats! I am REALLY enjoying Rally with Brody. Last night we had our best class to date and our trainer was just as excited as I was about his progress. As soon as he got into the ring he was ALL business and acted like he's been doing this for years. Our trainer also founded and runs Cyber Rally so we have some of those stations in with the traditional rally stations and they are fun things like waving both paws, weaving in legs as transitions, etc. Brody loves it as it's a nice mix of obedience and freestyle type exercises. An example is here.

Misty is 12 and a half years old! Awesome for an old husky girl!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats! I am REALLY enjoying Rally with Brody. Last night we had our best class to date and our trainer was just as excited as I was about his progress. As soon as he got into the ring he was ALL business and acted like he's been doing this for years. Our trainer also founded and runs Cyber Rally so we have some of those stations in with the traditional rally stations and they are fun things like waving both paws, weaving in legs as transitions, etc. Brody loves it as it's a nice mix of obedience and freestyle type exercises.
I'm so glad to hear that Brody has finished healing (not to be confused with heeling) and is back doing what he loves. I've signed up for the CyberRall list, but haven't odone much there, since wer're still working on getting solid basic obedience and household manners.

Now I'm noteven 100% sure Rally will be our first sport. The trainer I was talking with does Freestyle and has invited me to visit a class and check it out. I've always thought CF is very cool, but didn't think Mercy would be able to do it because of her missing leg. Her balance and coordination are really good and the trainer doesn't think it will be an issue, so now I've got something else to consider. Oh decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Do what I'm doing and just do both! Freestyle and Rally work on two different sets of skills for Brody; Freestyle lets him think and be creative and learn to be more interactive with me while Rally helps with his self control, precision, and focus.

In class on Tuesday, our trainer walked out to my car when I went to put Brody away so I could pay for our next classes because she wanted to talk to me about Brody's progress, and she went in the backseat with him and gave him a hug! She later said she couldn't resist but in retrospect, getting in the backseat and hugging an "aggressive" dog without asking if it was OK was probably not her wisest move. Brody on the other hand thought it was great that Jude was coming home with us! lol

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do what I'm doing and just do both! Freestyle and Rally work on two different sets of skills for Brody; Freestyle lets him think and be creative and learn to be more interactive with me while Rally helps with his self control, precision, and focus.
Lindbert, you are so not helping! While this sounds like it would be awesome, I'd ideally like to be able to pay the trainer and the rent! :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
You know, most places also give you discounts for being enrolled in more than one class ;)

I'm enrolled in Rally, Freestyle, and Agility at the moment. Working two dogs in Rally now (oh my Brody gets jealous when his sister gets to play but he has to stay on a mat!), Brody in Freestyle and Charlotte in Agility. I was involved in a ton of activities as a kid so it's only natural that my dogs are too! My daughter will also get to do whatever she enjoys when she's old enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts