Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sadly, so has my cat. Because he spends a lot of time out doors, he's already ate two of them. I think there's three left. I'm trying to keep the cat indoors...but he's already been let out and I've caught him back twice. I know keeping a cat outside isn't a smart idea, but there is no keeping him inside...somebody is bound to let him out. When he isn't out for a few days he gets grumpy and will walk up to you for the sole purpose of scratching.

You have to look really close to see the kits in the picture...they blend in really well.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I had a bunny nest like that last year. Super cute. Even when they start to leave the nest they will stay close and come out at dusk. You must keep your cat inside - there is no other way around this - let him get grumpy or say bye-bye to the bunnies.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Oh! It's SO cute to watch them grow up! Well, if all goes well anyway. We seem to get a nest or two in our yard every spring. I hear racoons, or cats or whatever getting them at nite & it's such a horrible cry :(, I hate it! I always just let nature take it's course tho.
My daughter once saved a nest of bunnies, or what remained of the bunnies after her dog got the mom & some of them. She left them in the nest, but kept the dog away from it, she syringe fed them until they were old enough to live on their own.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
How long has it been since you found them? If it's only today (yesterday?), the mama rabbit might move them overnight. They do that sometimes if a predator found the nest. Otherwise....your kitty will probably eat them :( . My mom's cat eats baby bunnies all the time, and the neighbors (who have a big garden) are glad for it, but it is sad. But don't take them out of the nest. They have basically 0% chance of surviving if you do, and at least being eaten by a cat is a more noble (and faster) death than dying of stress like they would if you took them out of the nest.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The kits have been moved! I made everybody keep the cat inside for a few days, and I refused to let him move back outside until I didn't see them out there...
What bums me out is he'll probably find them again and finish them off.

I'm sure I'll end up seeing the cat carrying around other ones through out the summer. I agree, it's the most terrible cry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts