Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a hound dog puppy in my yard 3 days ago. It was raining and he was soaking wet. I called to him and he cautiously came to me. I scooped him up and dried him off and fed him. He ran around playing with my other dog. I knew I couldn't keep him. I'm 36 weeks pregnant and cannot care for a new baby and a puppy.

I called about 15 no-kill shelters as I refused to take him to animal control or anywhere else that euthanizes. They were all full. So he stayed the night. He became very attached to me, I guess because he saw me as his rescuer. I put him in my other dog's huge crate where he curled up and slept peacefully. He was happy and safe. The next day I drove him over to the local humane society. It was like he knew he was getting sent away again. He just curled up in the crate and looked so sad. It broke my heart. The humane society said they could take him and he was gone like that. I didn't even get to say goodbye. I gave them a $60 donation and left in tears.

I cried so much. This little guy took to me so fast and was obviously abandoned by whomever had him first. He trusted me and I abandoned him too. I just can't get past it. I just keep picturing his sad little face on that drive. I went to to humane society again yesterday with 2 bags of puppy food and a toy. I just wanted to see him and know he was ok and to say goodbye. Well, they were cleaning out the cages and he was not out there where the dogs stay, so I didn't get to see him. I left in tears again. I think if I just knew he was ok, I could move on, but I feel so guilty. Not knowing how his life is now and if he misses me is breaking my heart. And not knowing or having any control over who adopts him and whether or not they will give him as good a life as i could is so hard to come to terms with. I'm sure my pregnancy hormones have something to do with how emotional this is making me, but I can't help it. I love animals.

If you've read this far, thank you. I just had to get it out into words.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Don't feel bad, you did the right thing. He may actually have a family that loves him and he just got away from them, things happen. Maybe you can phone them and ask about the little guy. Ask if they have any adoption prospects for him yet or if his family picked him up. It might put your mind at ease a little.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Well he's some place safe that will help him find a family who is in a better position to get a puppy right now instead of sitting out in the rain by himself, cold and wet. So there's no reason for you to feel guilty from where I'm sitting.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Agreed! Try not to feel guilty. You didn't ask for a dog, and what you did was the right thing to do, and much better than what most people would do. I'd call up the humane society and ask if he found a home. I know that has helped me feel better about dropping off stray dogs at the local shelter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts