Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's a little girl that comes around with her father every day and always pats our Maremma over the fence. Today she got a bit bolder and reached her hand through to pat my jack russell, I wasn't out there but apparently my kelpie XBC ran up and bit her on the arm. I heard her scream and ran out and asked what happened. Her dad was really kind and said that she shouldn't have reached in through the fence and he was just being territorial. Her arm wasn't bleeding, just a bruise, but i feel horrible. I've locked him up in his pen so he can calm down as he was very excited. The father said stuff like this happens and I told him that he's used to workign and even though he gets walked 6 kms a day he's not used to being so contained. We go back out west to the station in January so he'll have space and be working again, but I feel so bad. I promised that when I hear them coming I'll lock him up, so she can still pat the other dogs, but she was crying and I can't believe he did that.

The upsettign thing is, he's such a sweet boy and the only time he's ever nipped someone before was when he was a puppy and someone ran over his tail with a wheelbarrow and he turned around and nipped out of pain. I feel so bad for the little girl and she loves dogs so much and I hope she will still love them after this incident.

i guess my question is, legally is it my fault or hers?

·
Registered
539 Posts
In our eyes it's her fault... in the law's... I dunno. I actually have "WARNING SECURITY DOG" and "NO TRESSPASSING" signs around my property... the reason being, if someone did tresspass and my dane bit them... they can't sue me. It's sad to say "I am more worried about being sued then the wellbeing of the person"... but today's society makes us think like that.

I would probably get her a little something... like a chocolate lollipop and next time I see her go out with one of the nicer dogs and see if she wants to pet him instead... giving her the treat... kind of to make peace and talk about how "this dog is very nice but the other dog is...." and so she can learn from the experience too.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Well, I'd say both. It sounds like you knew she was coming by and reaching over the fence. If you were allowing her to reach her arm through the fence to pet the dogs..this really isn't the best of ideas. Especially if you are not supervising.

Her father's fault for allowing his daughter to do such things. They may have felt comfortable if she knew the dog...but this could give a little girl the impression it is ok to pet strange dogs over/through a fence and what happens is...she gets bitten.

I say both of your fault. If she wants to pet the dog, it is best if you take the dog out to the girl for appropriate meeting/petting time.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They come at different times every day and usually it's my mum who is out there gardening or whatever, I was not under the impression that she reached through,, just that she petted the big dog when he leant over the gate.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
They come at different times every day and usually it's my mum who is out there gardening or whatever, I was not under the impression that she reached through,, just that she petted the big dog when he leant over the gate.
well, still. not really a good idea, as you can see, it can lead to problems. If it was me, I'd ask the father to not allow the interaction in the future to protect yourself, and them. But, that is just me.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I leave for the station in january and told him that until then when I hear them coming if I'm home I'll put him inside the house so she can pat the big dog that loves her. I might get her a cuddly toy dog and a sorry my dog dog bit you card :(

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I would not be apologizing. Apologizing from a legal stand point admits fault. What I would do is tell them to NOT put their hands in your fence. If the father knows those things happen, well then he should prevent them from happening. I would also not allow my dogs outside unattended if the kid could reach through the fence. I would no longer encourage her to pet any of my dogs over the fence. Mixed signals. Kids don't stop and think "This dog might be fine with me, but this dog might not."

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dogs are outside dogs. The kelpies and jack russells only sleep inside at night. The maremma sleeps with the chickens at night. The kelpies hate being inside they love being out in the yard, I'm usually outside doing something but today I had a hge assignment I had to finish, so they were hanging outside alone. They also get walked 6 kms or a bit over 3 miles a day.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
In our eyes it's her fault... in the law's... I dunno. I actually have "WARNING SECURITY DOG" and "NO TRESSPASSING" signs around my property... the reason being, if someone did tresspass and my dane bit them... they can't sue me. It's sad to say "I am more worried about being sued then the wellbeing of the person"... but today's society makes us think like that.

I would probably get her a little something... like a chocolate lollipop and next time I see her go out with one of the nicer dogs and see if she wants to pet him instead... giving her the treat... kind of to make peace and talk about how "this dog is very nice but the other dog is...." and so she can learn from the experience too.
Me too! Amen! F-word society who has enough bodies "looking out" for it so my concern is for my dogs. I also have "beware" signs posted but someone also told me that it's an admission of guilt to have such a sign, but I look at it like the chapter 87 signs horse owners put up (which is a law that protects equine professionals from being sued due to the inharent risk of equine activities) bc if an animal has teeth it can bite. & since I have a dog that "will" bite if provoked (she don't take no crud ... Just like her mom ;) )

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
My dogs are outside dogs. The kelpies and jack russells only sleep inside at night. The maremma sleeps with the chickens at night. The kelpies hate being inside they love being out in the yard, I'm usually outside doing something but today I had a hge assignment I had to finish, so they were hanging outside alone. They also get walked 6 kms or a bit over 3 miles a day.
it is not really about inside/outside or how much excercise they get. It is more about protecting yourself from a potential liability. It isn't good to have a kid come up to the fence to pet a dog, even if the big dog loves her. if you want them to interact, you need to tell the father that in the future...all interaction with even the big dog needs to be supervised and not over/through the fence. And, TWAB is right, don't apologize. The father may have been nice at the time...but you never know.

When I had kids next door to us, I was ADAMENT with the parents about not allowing the kids to approach the fence and touch the fence. I had to multiple times tell the kids to NOT approach the fence and reach over/through. The dogs love kids and it wasn't really about me being afraid they would bite. But, if they jumped on the fence and knocked the kids down, causing said kids to cry, which could get the dogs (ours and theirs - they had three dogs of their own) rawled up...it just isn't a good idea. Better to be preventative and over-cautious. And, it will teach the girl that approaching dogs at a fence is dangerous...even if said dog is nice.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
We (our city) just had a Golden Retriever euthed by the city about a monthago, that bit a 4 yr old that had wandered over to it's yard and stuck her head over the fence. The dog was contained, and the family did not know the little girl. Dog had no previous bite history, and was owned by a family with young kids. The dog was protecting his territory. The dog was euthed because the rabies shots weren't current and they wanted to test for rabies. Since the bite was in the head, if the dog was rabid the child would need immediate treatment, to prevent her death. So rather than quarantine the dog, they killed it.

So do make sure your pets rabies vaccinations are current, even if you keep your dog secure.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
if you want to get a sign, just get one that says beware of dog. not one that admits to a bite
I've been told that can also be taken as an admission that your dog is dangerous (you know, if people need to "beware" of him). Something generic like "no trespassing" or "don't bother the dogs" (probably have to make that one yourself) would be safer, although admittedly I don't know the laws in Australia.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My dog is guilty... LOL he already has a record for biting a tresspasser... and my home owners had to pay for those ER trips. Donnnn't get me started on that one ;)

I walk him and people ask ... always girls.... shrieky teenage girls... "Is he niiiiiceeeeee?"
"no"
And they think I'm joking, or being a b*tch... LOL
Well maybe I am. :)

No, my dog is very nice... he just doesn't like to be rough housed by a creepy old tresspassing man... I'd bite too.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Um...why would anyone reach through a gate to pet a dog that isn't theirs?
Her dad should have told her NO...no matter how friendly the dog looks/acting. Some people.

Also, I would recommend putting a sign up. Might save you some trouble in the future.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well here in the states there would have been lawsuit or two going on within minutes of the bite cause that appears to be a favorite past time. Yes, if we put a sign up it admits there is a possibility that our dogs will bite and we can/are legally responsible but I have always had signs up. You at least got a bunch of good news thrown at you, 1. father of daughter seems to be a good person, 2. hopefully daughter had a good lesson with only a bruise to show for the dog adventure, 3. you found out your little rascal may/will bite. 4. Now more supervision is necessary and from reading your posts I believe you will handle this problem.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts