Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hate cutting Allie's nails. She hates having them done, she starts shaking when I start cutting them. For months I have been trying to make it better for her. For awhile at first I was simply touching the clippers to her feet and giving her treats. Lately I have been cutting just a few nails at a time, giving her really good treats for each nail.

I hate doing this, when she knows I am going to cut her nails she starts throwing every calming signal/go away body language she can muster and I hate ignoring her and doing it anyway. I feel like this is really damaging our relationship. In the summer I almost never have to cut her nails, in winter, however, they need to be cut. Today I nicked her quick, barely, but I did it. She has hard dark black nails and its hard to cut them. I just take the tips off, but she jerked slightly as I was cutting. She won't let me near her now. This was an hour ago. She snapped at me when I got her quick. I had Julie come help me and she held her head while I put the gel stuff on the nail to stop the little bit of bleeding.

I am thinking of either buying a calming cap and a muzzle and pairing them both with good things, like massages and calming music. Then putting those on her while I do her nails and continuing to do them myself. Or taking her to a groomer and letting them muzzle her and cut her nails so that she doesn't associate it with me. What would you do?

·
Registered
962 Posts
The fact that you cut too deep, tells me that you are not too sure of yourself when cutting. When I had a large dog, I could look under the nail and see the empty area and not have to worry about cutting too close. Now with my two min-schnauzers, they go to the groomers. I only have to brush and scale there teeth which is in my line of work.

I also feel it upsets you and maybe makes you nervous as it would me, so be easy on yourself, have someone else do it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I used to have the same problem; it was impossible to cut Toby's nails. I had a friend over once and between the two of us (both grown, athletic men) we could not hold him down long enough to get the clippers to his nails. When I would take him somewhere to have them done though, they would always tell me he was no problem.

Then I read the best advice on this website and it was along the lines of, "It's all in the attitude. Your dog knows you don't like it and are nervous about it so he freaks. Stay calm and act like you've been there before."

I followed this advice and have never had an issue since. Does he love it? No. Am I able to do it? Yes. ps - I know what you mean about those black nails, those are tough!!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The fact that you cut too deep, tells me that you are not too sure of yourself when cutting. When I had a large dog, I could look under the nail and see the empty area and not have to worry about cutting too close. Now with my two min-schnauzers, they go to the groomers. I only have to brush and scale there teeth which is in my line of work.

I also feel it upsets you and maybe makes you nervous as it would me, so be easy on yourself, have someone else do it.
I have only ever cut to far on her twice, I am usually really good about getting nails done. I do Lloyd's fine, Rhea's (inlaws lab), several other family member's dogs nails. With her though I always feel so guilty about doing her nails. I don't like doing things to dogs when they are very clearly telling me no. I do think I am going to let someone else do them.

Then I read the best advice on this website and it was along the lines of, "It's all in the attitude. Your dog knows you don't like it and are nervous about it so he freaks. Stay calm and act like you've been there before."

I followed this advice and have never had an issue since. Does he love it? No. Am I able to do it? Yes. ps - I know what you mean about those black nails, those are tough!!
Yeah, I think at this point I hate cutting her nails so much that I'm not helping the situation. She is just a sensitive dog, my mood "energy" affect her so much.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Will she allow you to use a grinder? Might be better in this case.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
This is a tough one. I have the same issue with having Poca bathed (she lets me dremel her nails now if I give her peanut butter in a kong). She just hates it. In the end, I figure I'd rather have her snap at me than a groomer, so I have started doing it myself. If I could find a groomer like the one we had in CA who would take the time to get to know her, take it slowly, etc., I would definitely take her to him/her. But it would have to be the right groomer, someone willing to build up to working without a muzzle -- very hard to find and not something I feel comfortable asking someone to do. If you can find someone Allie tolerates, I would say go for it. Might as well save both of you the stress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts