Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOST BUT APPARANTLY FOUND RED DOBERMAN (Watertown, ny)
Reply to: see below
Date: 2009-07-09, 9:54PM EDT

My red doberman slipped out of his collar on July 4th. I've been trying to find him since then. A lady posted an ad earlier saying she was giving away a free doberman. I called her and that's my dog. She said she gave him to a man coming from Great Bend but doesn't have any of his contact information. His name is Bruno and we rescued him. I have tags and papers to prove it! We would just like our dog back.

http://watertown.craigslist.org/pet/1262236357.html

I would be so ticked off and i would call the police to get my dog back.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I used to live near Watertown (at Fort Drum) and it's not likely the local yokel cops will do much :(
I feel for them, they have 2 local shelters where the person could have taken the dog, I never understand why they don't just contact the animal shelter when they find a stray instead of giving them away! It's not like that dog was gone for months and months and nobody claimed him. :(

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to live near Watertown (at Fort Drum) and it's not likely the local yokel cops will do much :(
I feel for them, they have 2 local shelters where the person could have taken the dog, I never understand why they don't just contact the animal shelter when they find a stray instead of giving them away! It's not like that dog was gone for months and months and nobody claimed him. :(
i found a rottie when i first moved here. I volunteered to keep the dog till AC had an opening. NO owner was found and when AC came to finally pick her up. I had a long talk with him about her hips...she was weak in her hind end...anyways...i did everything possibly contacted AC, shelter, Put up flyers..no one claimed her... :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't get it.... what kind of collars do the people who always loose dogs use? I've owned some pretty rough and tumble dogs... none of them have ever slipped a collar... ever. :confused:
I always thought a collar was pretty much idiot proof.... guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I don't get it.... what kind of collars do the people who always loose dogs use? I've owned some pretty rough and tumble dogs... none of them have ever slipped a collar... ever. :confused:
i thought this too, until we got our first shiba. he can slip out of any collar at any time. we have tried every collar/harness and he still manages.

but on this topic, if the dog wasnt microchipped, it will be a tough case. you would think whoever adopted the dog, if they saw this would contact the 'owner' and set things straight.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea but perhaps they had been looking for a dobie for so long that now that they have one they probably dont want to give it up to the original owner.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i thought this too, until we got our first shiba. he can slip out of any collar at any time. we have tried every collar/harness and he still manages.

but on this topic, if the dog wasnt microchipped, it will be a tough case. you would think whoever adopted the dog, if they saw this would contact the 'owner' and set things straight.
Well, most collars/harnesses are ajustable and should be adjusted to fit your dog's size. I can see how they slip it if you don't fit it to their size.

If there is proof that the dog belongs to them I don't see why they cannot get it back. The problem is just that whomever the dog was given too would have to respond to her craigslist posting. (Which is pretty unlikely - especially if they want the dog for themselves or doesn't have access to the internet etc.)
I don't think there would be much that the police could do about the situation to begin.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
If its the snap buckle type collars those are pretty easy for dogs to get out of. If they pull hard and yank hard enough on it the buckle comes undone. Thats why I use martingales on my dogs. Lloyd got loose off of his once when we first had him (the snap buckle kind) just by yanking into it hard.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Well, most collars/harnesses are ajustable and should be adjusted to fit your dog's size. I can see how they slip it if you don't fit it to their size.
As for size that is assuming their neck size would be smaller then that of their head size. If that is not the case then I can understand someone not wanting to choke their dog to make a collar "fit" to where they can't slip out. Not everyone knows about the different types of collars that work better for dogs built like that.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
It is a sad story... hopefully she can track him down.
I can see that happening with a Doberman since they have small heads...
I agree with melgrj7, martingales are the best collars...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thats horrible I would be so angry, I hope everything works out for the best and they manage to get their dog back.

As far as the collar thing its easy for some dogs to slip out of their collars. Growing up we had a border collie/springe spaniel mix that could slip out of any form of restraint that you put on him. And a dog I have know his neck is much larger than his head, his neck it 17" around and his head is 14½" around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts