Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was out playing ball with my kids. I desided to let Jack have a few throws by himself since he can no longer keep up with the younger ones.

So I put Haweye and Kechara on a down stay and proceded to throw the ball for Jack only about 5 feet out at the most. he did fine the first two throws but then on the thrid throw I threw it about 3 feet away, and he races up to it, slightly overruns it, and then goes to turn back to it when..

YELP! and he falls to the ground laying on his side. I just said "OMG Jack are you OK?" as If he could understand me and would answer. I first lifted his head to make sure he was still consious and he just looked at me bewhildered as if saying "what happened?" then after about half a minute to a minute I finally coaxed him back to standing.

Ball throwing time was now over and so just to check his gait I walked them all along our property, he seems just as fine as he was before he fell. But I'm going to have to buy him some more baby asprin and up his dosege to two a day.

It's hard watching him in his failing years. All he wants to do nowadays is sleep, eat, and go for rides. But for all his pains he can still make it up and down the stares to get his food. That seems to be his only source of excercise at this point.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Aww, poor Jack :( Give him some extra hugs for me. Have you tried giving him some supplements for his joints? Elvis, our 9 year old border collie has to take some glucosamine powder with his breakfast, because he has similar issues where he can't run well without pain. It's just a suggestion, it's helped Elvis a bit. He still can't do too much, but he can do more than before. :(

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
i'm sorry to hear about Jack's decline.
you know what is best for him...
it sounds like he still has a lot of livin' left in him if he can make it up and down the stairs and still wants to go for rides...
{{{hugs}}}
hopefully the higher dose of asprin will help.
sweet jack, i hope he feels better.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He gets a Glucosamine condroitan pill every day plus the small bit that is in the food he eats.

His pill ingrediants are

Sodium 100mg
Glucosamine Hydrochloride 1500mg
Chondroitin Sulfate 1200mg

and he gets one a day

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that Jack is having a hard time. It hurts us to see their age catching up to them. ((HUGS)) :(

I say it time to spoil him rotten and try to make everything as easy for him as you can. When our old Basset Hound began having a difficult time moving and getting around...instead of real walks, we just started taking leisurely strolls around the property line. That way if he needed to lay down and rest he could and he wasn't far from home in case he needed help getting back. Have you talked to your vet about possible options in regards to pain management?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I took this video owith him in a couple weeks ago, you can see how he runs and moves, he doesn't know he's old.

I'm so sorry to hear that Jack is having a hard time. It hurts us to see their age catching up to them. ((HUGS)) :(

I say it time to spoil him rotten and try to make everything as easy for him as you can. When our old Basset Hound began having a difficult time moving and getting around...instead of real walks, we just started taking leisurely strolls around the property line. That way if he needed to lay down and rest he could and he wasn't far from home in case he needed help getting back. Have you talked to your vet about possible options in regards to pain management?
I haven't spoken to the vet persoanly but I asked the office workers what they thought and they suggested the baby asprin so he's been on one of thoughs a day for the past few months.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I haven't spoken to the vet persoanly but I asked the office workers what they thought and they suggested the baby asprin so he's been on one of thoughs a day for the past few months.
Maybe its time to schedule an appointment with the vet for Jack to have a checkup. You could explain the trouble he's been having and see if the vet has any ideas in regards toward pain management. My 2 previous dogs (Dan, the Basset and Montana, the Golden) were on Rymidal (spelling?) for pain toward the end of their lives. It worked really well toward making them more comfortable and made it easier for them to get around. However, I believe with Rymidal, they had to have blood work done every 6 months if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I asked my mom about taking him to the vet and looking into getting different pain meds, but she said "no the baby asprin is enough" and since I don't have the money at the moment to pay for him myself, we are going to have to stick with the Bayer Baby Asprin.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
well I asked my mom about taking him to the vet and looking into getting different pain meds, but she said "no the baby asprin is enough" and since I don't have the money at the moment to pay for him myself, we are going to have to stick with the Bayer Baby Asprin.
The vet I work for suggest aspirin for dogs when people cannot afford Rimadyl or Deramaxx (two anti-inflammatory pain meds). We have generic Rimadyl now, but it's still pretty expensive. My parents have the same issue with our family dog at the moment and she's been doing well on Aspirin.

I'm sorry to hear that is age is catching up to him though! That's one of the hardest things! My parents and our family dog live far away now and I don't get to see her near as much. She's 15 years old and doing...okay, but I keep expecting the call from my mom :/ I wish they could live as long as us!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Ah, poor old Jack. It's hard watching our best friends get old. I agree that if the aspirin works and he can still get around, then he's ok. So what he can't play ball anymore...neither can I! ;) So long as he still has interest in things (car rides, eating) at 14 he deserves a rest. Leave the running around to the kids. Maybe you can find something that just the 2 of you can do (w/out those pesky kids!)...a leisurely walk is good.

Let us know how he does...he is such a fine looking specimen of an Aussie...very dignified.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Keechak, ask your vet about Tramadol....it's a human pain killer and so can be gotten thru a pharmacy...i paid $8 for a mo worth for Lacey at WalMart Pharmacy....it's stronger than the aspirin and you don't have to worry about the damage that aspirin can do over a period of time....

and, i am so sorry to hear about his "slowing" down....that was the hardest thing w/ Lacey, watching her go from doing everything that the others did (even tho she shouldn't have sometimes) to not being able to and still trying....i wish you both the best....

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I'm sorry about what's happening to Jack. He's a beautiful dog.

I hope he will improve, and won't be surprised if he does. <hugs for you and Jack>

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keechak, ask your vet about Tramadol....it's a human pain killer and so can be gotten thru a pharmacy...i paid $8 for a mo worth for Lacey at WalMart Pharmacy....it's stronger than the aspirin and you don't have to worry about the damage that aspirin can do over a period of time....

and, i am so sorry to hear about his "slowing" down....that was the hardest thing w/ Lacey, watching her go from doing everything that the others did (even tho she shouldn't have sometimes) to not being able to and still trying....i wish you both the best....
I just asked my mom about that and she said "sure I'll be willing to look into that" so I guess I'll be calling the vet tomarrow.

If you had to get it over the counter then how did they feel about accepting a prescription for a dog?

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I just asked my mom about that and she said "sure I'll be willing to look into that" so I guess I'll be calling the vet tomarrow.

If you had to get it over the counter then how did they feel about accepting a prescription for a dog?
They won't know if you don't tell them. I know of people who do it all the time. I had to do it for a dog of mine years ago...and it was in HER name. I don't know how vets do it now but it's worth looking into. Good luck!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
They don't care, they're used to it. If it's the same drug used for both humans and animals, it's the same buying process. Except your insurance won't cover it :p . Most of the common drugs used for dogs can be found at Wal-Mart for $4.00 a month (or many of the other pharmacy's low-cost generic programs).

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I can vouch for the affordability of the Tramadol, as Clifford was taking them for the last few months. It can cause kidney and liver failure and digestive distress if taken regularly over a prolonged period of time, but my thought process was that Clifford wasn't going to be around much longer anyway, so I wanted the time he had to be as painless as possible. I figured he needed pain meds more than he needed his liver.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts