Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FinnAgin has been w/ us now for almost 2 mo....his former owner has not contacted me beyond the 1st few days and even told me in the last email that since he is no longer w/ her, we have nothing more to talk about (in other words "F--- off").....

how can some have a dog for 4 yrs and just let it go and never want to know how it's doing? i mean, ok, i won't contact you, but drop me a line from time to time just to say, "hope he's doing well...how are his issues?"
i understand the "guilty" feeling for not doing EVERYTHING possible to correct the problem and make it work for you and the dog.....but to not even give enuff of a $#!% to check on him?

i just don't get it...........

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I don't get it either!! I just had to re-home 2 of my cats and I told the people to expect emails at-least once a month. I raised them and I want to know how they are doing! I also just re-homed my uncle dogs Charlie. The person that got him has sent me and update everyday this week,lol. I know that wont be happening in a week or two but I know she will send me update at-least twice a month or I will contact her.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I say they are thinking "Out of sight ... out of mind" ... they are either trying to deny what they did because maybe they feel badly or guilty for re-homing their 4 year old dog ... which had to be stressful for the poor dog to begin with ... or they really don't give a rats $%#@!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe she's just really sad about it? And jealous that you're having a bonding experience with her old dog? I mean, I would kind of feel the same way. It's hurtful to know that your dog is wagging its tail for some other family, especially when it's your baby. I wouldn't be too offended by it.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Vanna our GWP that passed 2 yrs ago we purchased from a family that had a special needs child and Vanna had growled at her so they were afraid child could get bit.

Vanna was 9 months old and they definitely were attached to her, so we sent pictures and kept in touch and informed them when she passed because it was just the thing to do with Vanna's 1st family but not all people are the same.

Tirluc, don't you dare lose any sleep over the disinterest as it's history and not important as Finnagin's future with you. I'm just sayin..

·
Registered
933 Posts
My Riley now approx. 8 yrs old started out as a temporary long term foster ( 4-6 months was to be the max. back in July of 2010) well here we are almost July of 2012. Haven't heard from his "owner" since late 2010 early 2011. I Just don't get it...

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
When I got Jonas he had AKC papers. I did some tracing through his and found the original breeder he came from. The breeder really couldn't have care less. She thanked me for adopting him, was not concerned by him having PRA (pointed out his father had seemed to be blind over time..), and then offered to sell me his sister. In all of two emails. Sometimes I think I would like to be find out the exact origins of all my dogs, then I remember that I don't care. They're my dogs now and I imagine if I could find out I probably wouldn't like what I got.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Sometimes I think I would like to be find out the exact origins of all my dogs, then I remember that I don't care. They're my dogs now and I imagine if I could find out I probably wouldn't like what I got.
Maybe that's why that saying popped up, you know the "Let sleeping dogs lie" (something like that)

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
luckily, FinnAgin came home....as it is stipulated in my contracts.....he is Titch's brother (Tir's 1st litter) and he lived in the house i'm living in now for the 1st 16-18 mo (i lived in the house next door at the time)......we had many fun days together, etc and when they moved to ID we talked at least once a wk.......he came home once b/c she wasn't working and she didn't think she was going to be able to take care of him but then she decided she couldn't be w/out him and took him back.....then, b/c of his DA (which we're getting under control) she decided, after 3 yrs of it, that she couldn't deal w/ it anymore and that "Finn had no respect for her and wasn't going to listen to her" so, he "came home" permanently and now belongs to my youngest son who is going thru a divorce and living back at home......for FinnAgin and son, a very happy ending :) her lose, their gain

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
That sounds like the person doesn't care, which is sad. I used to work for a kennel and this poor Boxer mix was left there for so long (a year maybe?) and his owners finally got to him. But they never called; it was something where the guy wanted his dog but his gf didn't. Juice was a great dog, it was a shame it took them so long to get the dog back. Personally I hope the guy broke up with her; I'm not dating a person that doesn't like Luke.

Anyway, it's nice that you have FinnAgin.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We just adopted batman from the shelter and found out he has been in the shelter about once every two months for awhile because the owner kept letting it get out (it's a Japanese chin so I doubt it is a master escape artist) and finally this time he called the shelter and said he didn't want to pay the fee for him. The shelter thinks the owner is a breeder and doesn't care about batman because his right eye doesn't open all the way. I am with you tirluc I just don't understand people that don't care about their dogs. I get really attached really quick. They are like family to me.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Personally, if I had to rehome one of my dogs, unless I was COMPLETELY, ABSOLUTELY, 100% POSITIVE they were going to someone who would treat them right, I don't think I could bring myself to contact the new owner. It would break my heart and would be easier to just not know. It's easier to lie to yourself and be confident in that lie that your dog now has a better life.
Though it's obviously true in this situation, the previous owner may be feeling this.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Tirluc, there are people the world over who would rather take the dog out back and shoot it than rehome it. At least this person has decided to spare the dog and give it to someone who will love it. Do not lose any sleep over the lack of contact.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Saoirse has been staying w/ a friend for about a wk, now......i have had her for 5 yrs and in all the time she's been w/ me, she has always just seemed so "anxious" and stressed....i mean, she was happy, well cared for, given her 1:1 time, etc, but she just never could seem to "settle"....like she always slept w/ one eye open....when we'd go outside or leave the house, she'd get "snappy" in the faces of 2 of the others (Titch when we were in the house and Tir when we'd go out), she'd spin, jump around and just go nutz (which wasn't a big deal, but definitely over the top from the rest of the pack)......so, anyway, decided to try an "experiment" and have her go stay there a while....

results: she is calm, sleeps and they can move w/out her flying, seems less stressed........the rest of the pack here are less stressed (not having her "in their face") and calmer going out the door

believe me, i tried working w/ it and keeping her settled and it just seemed to be stressing her more....i love her and really have no intention of rehoming her but if she can be calmer there than here i would like to see that....they want her, so she may be going there (no place else, if they don't keep her)

but, i have called daily to see how she was, and i will continue to keep in touch.....well, that won't be hard, anyway, as they go to the dog club w/ me sometimes

sorry this is so long but i just wanted to say on this topic, you release the dog willingly and know it is going to a good place (well cared for, someone who can handle it's issues, etc), you know the dog is in good hands....i can't see why you'd feel so upset when you find out the dog is transitioning easily and stress free.......just my feelings on it, and i have to stop thinking everyone should feel the same.....

sorry, so long (but you might not see much more of my Dink Dog)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I find nothing wrong in putting the dogs welfare first ... as that IMHO is how it should be. I have certainly re-homed a few dogs because it was for the dog ... and definitely not "me". I cried my eyes out saying goodbye to them.

I am sorry it just didn't work after 5 years ... that is a tough one to face. But if the dog will have a better quality of life ... isn't this is what it is all about? :)

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, the couple times i've seen her, she rally seems more at ease....and never even really cared whether she was staying or coming w/ me....she looks relaxed....

·
Registered
53 Posts
FinnAgin has been w/ us now for almost 2 mo....his former owner has not contacted me beyond the 1st few days and even told me in the last email that since he is no longer w/ her, we have nothing more to talk about (in other words "F--- off").....

how can some have a dog for 4 yrs and just let it go and never want to know how it's doing? i mean, ok, i won't contact you, but drop me a line from time to time just to say, "hope he's doing well...how are his issues?"
i understand the "guilty" feeling for not doing EVERYTHING possible to correct the problem and make it work for you and the dog.....but to not even give enuff of a $#!% to check on him?

i just don't get it...........
I know this is going to sound totally mean, but on a forum like this one you are pretty much going to get the same answer. Not many people can understand how someone can let go of a pet so easily. Different strokes for different folks. I know people who lose a dog every year or so and don't think much of it. They use the dogs to hunt big cats and wild boar and it is just part of the deal. You get used to it. Dogs are expendable to some people who need them to protect their family. Of course the dogs get treated like kings when not on the hunt, but they are expected to be lost now and then. All people have different views and uses for dogs. Not everyone uses them as lifetime pets. Just like here in the states we eat all kinds of meat, but in India cows are sacred and cannot be harmed. To some people, many of them not on this forum, dogs are not always simple pets. They are an expendable part of life and we cannot expect everyone to hold the same views as people on this forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts