Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found my neighbors old lab, Chipper (who is basically our dog; he lives here, he eats here, etc), lying between the dog houses this morning, whimpering as he tried repeatedly to get up. He tried so many times... he'd slowly stand up with his legs quivering, then he'd collapse. I had to use a sheet to help him walk to the house... now he's in the living room whimpering softly, and I can hear him dragging himself across the floor trying to get up. I don't know what to do... his legal owner probably wouldn't even notice him if I took him over there, so he'd probably end up freezing to death. I'd take him to the vet, but I have no money, plus I'm only 17... Dad is going to throw a b*tch fit when he comes home and finds Chip in the house.

I know that the poor guy will probably be put down regardless; he's REALLY old. I'm pretty sure that he's 12+. Every time I think of it I cry...

The worst part of owning a dog is that you almost always outlive them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I found my neighbors old lab, Chipper (who is basically our dog; he lives here, he eats here, etc), lying between the dog houses this morning, whimpering as he tried repeatedly to get up. He tried so many times... he'd slowly stand up with his legs quivering, then he'd collapse. I had to use a sheet to help him walk to the house... now he's in the living room whimpering softly, and I can hear him dragging himself across the floor trying to get up. I don't know what to do... his legal owner probably wouldn't even notice him if I took him over there, so he'd probably end up freezing to death. I'd take him to the vet, but I have no money, plus I'm only 17... Dad is going to throw a b*tch fit when he comes home and finds Chip in the house.

I know that the poor guy will probably be put down regardless; he's REALLY old. I'm pretty sure that he's 12+. Every time I think of it I cry...

The worst part of owning a dog is that you almost always outlive them.
Sorry to read this. Think you should take him as soon as possible to your local vet. Talk carefully a plan of action. Sometimes they have emergency charity money for such problems if you explain to your vet your problems. Offer your services for free always something you can do. Sign him over to the animal welfare then they could help. Not the time to let him suffer. :(

Regards Pam

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Oh poor guy.
I would say since you probably cannot do it yourself... and your dad will get upset about him even being there, I would call the Animal Control or the local SPCA and let them know the situation and then have them contact the owners. That is neglect. They need to be notified that the dog needs Vet Care. I'm sorry that you have to go through this... but that dog needs some help fast... and I would just call the AC to come and get him.
Nessa

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I freakin' HATE people around here... my dad told me "You don't go around telling people how to live their life" after I asked him to call Chips' owner and suggest she take him to the vet.
"He's old; he's got arthritis, but he's not in pain..." He's not in pain NOW because he's doped up on doggy asprin.
"the vet'll just put him down anyway." its better than letting him suffer like this!
lskdfhalksdjfhklashdncnasiunbedfliasdhfkjsdhfoshdflkha!!!!!!!!!!

And the crappy thing is that if I did call the only animal control officer in the county, he wouldn't charge neglect on the owner because he's too freakin' stupid. The man is a blooming IDIOT who steals dog food from the shelter to feed his own dogs. f;asdlkfj;asldfj;asldfkj

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hmm You sure we dont live in the same town?! :rolleyes:

I'm really sorry... I would say find some way to take him over to the shelter yourself and have him PTS. That is honestly what I would do... especially if the owners do not care... as you say. Sigh... really sorry.
Nessa

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm You sure we dont live in the same town?! :rolleyes:

I'm really sorry... I would say find some way to take him over to the shelter yourself and have him PTS. That is honestly what I would do... especially if the owners do not care... as you say. Sigh... really sorry.
Nessa
thanks for your concern. :eek: I think that I'm gonna wait a few days to see how he does; he may be weak from not eating or something. Ugh... I hate scenerios like these. :(

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I don't know, there may actually be legal ramifications if you or your dad actually had the poor ole guy PTS yourself, if the owner decided to pitch a fit. And if it's a small town & the vet knows the owner he probably wouldn't do it without the owners consent anyway.
I seriously would call animal control, maybe they would at least try to talk some sense into the owner.
I don't know ... but my heart goes out Chipper, & to you for being in this heart rending situation. And I'll hope for the best.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
True true... there could be legal action... but if they dont even care enough about the dog to keep it inside during COLD weather and know when it is in pain and suffering... why would they really care? and HOW would they really know? They wouldnt... they would just assume it ran away... the way most uncaring owners think.
Nessa

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I believe male dogs may need to stand to pee.. so if he can't get up then he is not long for this world.

It is sad when no one is willing to end the suffering.... A dog that is down and whimpering is not a dog that is "ok" or just "having a bad day..."

And it is even more sad that the one person who does care has no power or $$ or support to do the right thing.

Sorry you are going thru this.

·
Registered
926 Posts
This can't wait a few days - if the dog is whimpering, he is in pain. He needs pain meds or to be put down humanely.

Updates?

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I think TXcollies, that she has indicated the dog's true owners don't care and would just let the dog lay out there and die either of exposure or lack of water or inability to eliminate etc.

IOW's no one would do anything.. just let the dog die in misery.

Still, the owner should be told. If they do nothing... well.... cross that bridge when it comes....

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... you would not believe this, but Chipper can actually get up and shuffle around today; even throught the 6 inches of snow we got last night. Maybe he was just super sore yesterday or something... or maybe he was playing gimpy to get to come inside. Dogs are strange....
I've decided that I'll call his owner if he ever gets that bad again; even though I'm absolutely terrified of the woman. *gulp*

Thanks to everyone for helping me out. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts