Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...after reading some of the posts I almost said, "I only breed 5 times a year", just to get your hearts pumping, but mine started racing before I could get it into words. I personally feel we have more than enough animals on this planet.

This is my second rescue dog in six years and she's a challenge. She's a Mingle(my name for a min pin/beagle mix. I just didn't care for Meagle). I've never had one and she was never trained....only loved.....yeah, right. Do you raise your kids that way? (Oops, another subject)

Xena is holding her poop and pee when we go on walks in the morning 'cause she knows I'm heading to work. I have to face the punishment when I get home. This 8 year old dog ran the show and I feel she should have sent the owners to the pound with the monster they created.

I need advice on training an old dog. Is it possible to keep her from running when I open the door....other than restraints? She destroyed my bathroom and broke the wall mirror to let me know she doesn't like to be confined.

I've spent the last two days intensely researching the breed, which is how I found this site. Thank you for allowing me to join and I'll hush now.

Judy(daystar888)....and Xena

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
She sounds like she's too anxious to pee/poo in front of you right now.

I'd put her on her leash before you ever open the door to keep her from dashing out. I'd crate her when you leave, to keep her from destroying your house. Feed her in the crate and give her treats in the crate, to let her know it's a good place. I'd start over with potty training 101 and keep her crated or tethered to you on her leash (yes, in the house), unless you are paying specific attention to her. Take her out every hour - throw a party if she actually goes to the bathroom outside, complete with tasty treats.

I adopted an adult westiepoo (we think she's around 4 years old) who is just trusting me enough to pee outside in front of me after 2 weeks (we discovered she was peeing in our closet after a couple of days - we're a little slow...). We had to resort to crating her, to make sure she only goes outside. Slowly but surely, she's relaxing enough to go outside in front of us. Something bad must have happened to her in her former life, poor thing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sister Peach,

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions! I was embarrassed to say I was walking around the house with a leash on her. And I roll it around my hand so she has to stay at my side. I want her to learn to heel so we can calmly go for walks. As soon as she eats, we go outside for walks, but I didn't think to take treats then. Whew! I feel like a new mom all over again. I should get my crate back this weekend and that's where she's a-going if you think it won't be too much on her. I sure know I'd be happier! I've never had an untrained pet that I didn't crate.

You are so awesome and I really appreciate your help and wisdom.

Judy

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I agree with "umbilical training" (keeping the leash on, but that term makes me laugh) also for house training. I adopted my Dachshund when he was almost three and he was NOT house trained in the slightest. He dragged a lead in the house so if he DID start to go I could interrupt him and whisk him outside. The rest is largely the waiting game. When my last puppy was a puppy I would sit outside in the freezing snow (winter puppies are a HORRIBLE idea!) until he went the bathroom and then treats would rain from the sky. Same concept for all of my adult rescues, except two of them came pretty much 100% house trained- one never went in the house ever.

With the door dashing, the important thing right now is to block access to doors when you're leaving. If baby gates or possible, or if after crate training and she is comfortable in a crate- keeping her in there. Then independently start working on a good solid sit/down and stay. Shambles was a door dasher for sure so we worked really hard on down stays starting inside the house and using our sliding door to the fenced in yard, so if he opted to blow a down/stay he was getting no where but the fenced in area. Equally important for if they DO slip by- recall, recall, recall. Our work on recall consisted of a long lead in the back yard and heavy reward for every time he returned to our call word (we use "in" rather than "come" or his name) Eventually we started doing it in places like the Petco down the road from our house with lots of distractions, and great distances in our yard. Now despite his empty headedness at time, he has really fabulous recall I'm quite proud of. He did escape our house once but he went no farther than two houses down, peed on a mail box, and when I said "Sham- IN." he came to me.

She'll get it eventually- doesn't matter the age! Thank you for saving a senior dog. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts