Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got Kabota, he was afraid to eat out of his bowl. I think the sound of his ID tag hitting the bowl frightened him. Fast forward to last Friday, when he picked up the tennis ball in his bowl, dropped it on the ground and then ate his dinner so fast, he choked and puked it all back up.

He won't chew on anything hard, like a Kong, so I decided to try something I'd read about online somewhere. I put 1/3 of his dinner in a dish towel and loosely tied it up. Then I put 1/3 on top of that and wrapped it in a bath towel, then I put all that in an old pillowcase with the remaining 1/3 on top, very loosely tied it shut and gave it to Kabota.

He seems to have fun with it, it takes him about 10 minutes to get everything out, and it's fun to watch him figure it out. And no more puking!

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's a neat way of doing it!

We feed Murphy his meals in the tricky treat ball. It takes him about 15 minutes to get through it. He's a gobbler if we put it in a bowl for him.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I might give this a try with Mercy. She's not a gobbler.. well actually she is, but no puking, I'm just looking for projects to give her that will engage her brain while I'm at work. We'll have to do a few dry runs, to make sure she doesn't just chew her way into the bags, though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Also if you don't mind the mess you could just dump it all on the floor of a non-carpeted room. We do this for Puck and it slows his eating down a lot.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I minded mess, I wouldn't have a dog!

I want to try "hiding" little piles of kibble around the first floor. Hiding in quotes because you're supposed to start with the piles out in the open, then move up to actually hiding them. I'll have to do that at night when I can get my husband to distract kabota while I hide food.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I used to throw his food around the floor or make a big trail of it, but the boyfriend thought the tongue marks were gross. He fed him tonight before I remembered about trying the towel game! I will have to try tomorrow

·
Registered
871 Posts
Zoey would probably get a kick out of trying this.

If I did this to Ziva, though, shed probably fall down and die. She does that a lot. Lol she cant seem to figure things like that out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I ditched the food bowl idea as well. Never even thought about what you're doing.

I just throw a cup or two out in the yard and let them use their nose to find all the food they can. Then once they're done I feed them and just throw the food on the ground.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I give Hobbes most of his meals in a tug-a-jug. Takes him 10-15 minutes to get it all, and he thinks it's the greatest thing in the world. For the sake of my downstairs neighbors, early morning on the weekends I give it to him in his bowl but turn the bowl upside down so he has to eat around the edges. That way he doesn't just scarf it all down at once. Definitely not as much work as the tug-a-jug.

Cute idea with the towels!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a tug a jug too my dog still has treats in there. He obviously doesn't like working for his food. He sat down and played with it once for about 3 minutes then gave up.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Haha my guy destroyed his tug-a-jug on his third meal with it but it was just a new addition to his collection of food dispensing toys. I like the Bob-a-lot and the kibble nibble ball a lot and just recently got a buster cube. The buster cube is definitely a change from the other two he can just roll around but it's a lot more trouble haha. The buster cube is harder to fill up, louder, and gets stuck more often than the other two toys.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Corky would eat the towel, for sure. A Kong Wobbler has worked to slow him down, although with a reactive dog like the OP's, the towel is a good strategy.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Haha my guy destroyed his tug-a-jug on his third meal with it but it was just a new addition to his collection of food dispensing toys. I like the Bob-a-lot and the kibble nibble ball a lot and just recently got a buster cube. The buster cube is definitely a change from the other two he can just roll around but it's a lot more trouble haha. The buster cube is harder to fill up, louder, and gets stuck more often than the other two toys.
The buster cube is soooo loud! I can't stand to hear that thing bouncing around on the hard floors. My neighbors no doubt hate it too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
In the AM, Colby gets fed out of a large Kong. I fill it with her food, run water over it and then freeze it the night before. It usually takes her 10-15 minutes to get through it. In the evenings, I usually just put a medium-sized Kong in her bowl on top of the food. She gets so excited about the food, she doesn't even think about moving the Kong first, so it works to slow her down. I'll have to try something like this for the evening... maybe even just flipping her bowl over.

Ace is not quite as food motivated and has major ADD. Up until this week we just fed him off the floor because he refused to eat out of a bowl. We decided he was being a brat, so we've started to put him in the crate with his bowl and ignore him until he's done. I know it sound sort of harsh, but he'd rather do anything besides eat (like playing with Colby, playing with a toy or running up the stairs). He pouts and looks at us with his best "sad puppy eyes." Sometimes he throws a temper-tantrum (rolling on the floor growling/whining). Thankfully he's gotten better over the past week or so. It used to take him upwards of 30 minutes to eat 2/3 of a cup of food because he plays with it. His is a much different story from Colby's! She would inhale her food if I didn't inhibit her in some way...

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been going through Petsmart's website looking for treat dispensing toys rated 1-2 stars. I'm looking for the toys labeled "too soft" or "my dog ripped it right apart". That's probably Kabota's speed. He's just not a power chewer.

·
Registered
329 Posts
...I usually just put a medium-sized Kong in her bowl on top of the food. She gets so excited about the food, she doesn't even think about moving the Kong first, so it works to slow her down.
This is a good and simple solution. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I've been going through Petsmart's website looking for treat dispensing toys rated 1-2 stars. I'm looking for the toys labeled "too soft" or "my dog ripped it right apart". That's probably Kabota's speed. He's just not a power chewer.
Well there are other things to consider than durability of the toy. For Kabota that may not be a factor and that's good for you. The things you probably care more about depend on how food motivated Kabota is and willing to problem solve to get his kibble. I like the Bob-a-lot the best not just for it's durability but because the difficulty can be adjusted on two levels, it's easy to fill, and it stands up well to my guys possible chewing. The only downside I find to it is you can't take it apart to clean it. The kibble nibble ball isn't as tough as the bob-a-lot but that shouldn't be an issue for you and you can clean it easily. Downside is unless you use a larger kibble you can't really adjust the difficulty other than maybe adding a ping pong ball (haven't tried this myself yet) in with the kibble to slow it's dispensing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts