Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I will post in the proper forum once my account has been activated by posting here I guess, I just recently got this dog about a week ago or so and he worked out great for awhile now it's to the point I thought about getting rid of him. He has started to uncontrollably pee on the floor every time I get near him and won't pee when I let him out or put him on a lead, it's a real shame but I can't have a dog peeing on my floors 15 times a day and I'm tired of cleaning up after him every time I go to pet him. Hopefully someone on here will have a solution before my very thin patients wears out. I think he was abused or nudered way too young but I obviously triggered a fearful something in him where he gets so scared he is going to pee on the floor and I will get mad at him that he pees anyway than tries to hide like I'm gonna beat him to a pulp, he has some very serious fear issues, he never pees in the house and is not distructive just every time I get close to him he thinks he's in trouble even if I'm giving him treats. Idk I need some kind of method to training him, never had to deal with this with a dog before. As far as any punishment I have done to him, he is a 100lb German Shepard, I have disciplined a 8lb mini pin I had much worse and never had a issue, I just triggered a negative emotion with this guy that needs to change.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Hello,

I will post in the proper forum once my account has been activated by posting here I guess, I just recently got this dog about a week ago or so and he worked out great for awhile now it's to the point I thought about getting rid of him. He has started to uncontrollably pee on the floor every time I get near him and won't pee when I let him out or put him on a lead, it's a real shame but I can't have a dog peeing on my floors 15 times a day and I'm tired of cleaning up after him every time I go to pet him. Hopefully someone on here will have a solution before my very thin patients wears out. I think he was abused or nudered way too young but I obviously triggered a fearful something in him where he gets so scared he is going to pee on the floor and I will get mad at him that he pees anyway than tries to hide like I'm gonna beat him to a pulp, he has some very serious fear issues, he never pees in the house and is not distructive just every time I get close to him he thinks he's in trouble even if I'm giving him treats. Idk I need some kind of method to training him, never had to deal with this with a dog before. As far as any punishment I have done to him, he is a 100lb German Shepard, I have disciplined a 8lb mini pin I had much worse and never had a issue, I just triggered a negative emotion with this guy that needs to change.
This sentence really concerns me. Why does size of the dog indicate how much "punishment" it can handle? Are you physically beating your dog for negative behaviors and you think that a 100 lb. Shepherd can withstand more than an 8 lb. Min Pin can?

You've obviously traumatized him with your negative training methods to the point where he is so terrified of you that he urinates everywhere. Which is pretty horrific and sad, honestly.

I hope you can clarify the situation and it isn't as bad as this post made it sound...

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
If you have hit this dog, at any point, start there.
Doesn't matter how hard, what he did. If you have hit him, or even screamed at him, punish yourself and start over.

Because your dog is afraid of you, point blank. Either he was abused in the past or he's just sensitive, but either way, you need to start making yourself good to him again, and start by just ignoring the fact that he pees when he becomes nervous. Just clean it up. If you have to roll your eyes and grunt, just clean it up, don't even respond to him. Be quiet around him, toss him treats randomly. Make yourself an object of protection and fun to him again.

Some dogs are just very sensitive. Size has little to do with it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I dont think he was neutered too young or abused. I think you are abusive to him. Now whether thats yelling or hitting, i cant say. Dogs dont randomly pee at the sight of someone just because.......

Maybe the dog would be better elsewhere or you should get into a good training class like yesterday!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

This sentence really concerns me. Why does size of the dog indicate how much "punishment" it can handle? Are you physically beating your dog for negative behaviors and you think that a 100 lb. Shepherd can withstand more than an 8 lb. Min Pin can?

You've obviously traumatized him with your negative training methods to the point where he is so terrified of you that he urinates everywhere. Which is pretty horrific and sad, honestly.

I hope you can clarify the situation and it isn't as bad as this post made it sound...
Lol calm down people I didn't beat the dog, the only time I ever yelled at him was when he was chasing the neighbors cows and wouldn't come back, I may have smacked him over that when I told him he was bad for chasing around 3 $2000 animals and not coming back, he made a calf jump the fence into my yard :unamused:. I think that's acceptable. As far as his punishment so far, when he peed on the floor at first I didn't say much to him about it. He did it as soon as you would first meet him, or anyone else which is forgivable. He stopped for a day or two than started doing it again when I got home from work and haven't seen him in awhile. He did the same to my dad when he would stop by to let him out, my dad has walked him every day and other than peeing on the floor a bit when he first sees him he has yet to go the bathroom for him and held it until I let him out, when I got him he was very timid, scared all the time, I taught him a few more tricks, (like not to chase the chickens in the coop, took 15 mins lol) gave him lots of praise, when I'm not working me and max are together every second, but about 4 days ago the first greet he peed on the floor got a bit worse, I would point it out and tell him he was bad and showed him that I didn't like it, I didn't have to yell at him because he understood than after that it was business as normal, I walk him, play with him and try to get his confidence up, take him over to my dads house to play with his Shepard and them two dogs have a ball lol, I have even laid on my back on his paws and played with him a bit at my house to show I'm not aggressive towards him which perked him up a little I noticed, before he started peeing. I never beat him, when I say about the 8lb mini pin I had any physical punishment he had was less than I would for a 8lb dog, I'm talking like a tap on the hind end, I don't think I could kill a fly with that force. I still contact the people who have my mini pin, they say he's the best little dog they have ever seen and is wonderful so don't judge me, that was a fantastic dog but he got what he deserved a family of 4 with two little kids to play with him more than I could because of work, I had the mini pin from 7weeks 3 days to just over a year old, he knew all the commands and some, ate all natural puppy mix and visited the local vet often. The last two days with Max being I triggered some trama or something with Max that I avoid situations that will make him pee. And if he does I walk away from him and tell him I didn't like it but I forgive him and I know he didn't mean to do it, than clean it up. Folks I am trying to help him, I'm trying to keep him social and happy, overall he is doing much better except lately, that was a huge step back. Which is why I'm here to see if there is more that I can do to than I have already done. When I first got him his ears were back all the time, even in the ad about him I noticed his ears were back, now there forward most of the time and he seems much more happy other than not trusting himself not to pee than he does and gets scared so I can only assume the last people disaplined him for it and now he's scared I am going to do the same since I made my point and told him I don't like it. A stern look, a point at what he did and tell him he's bad a few times was all. He understood and I didn't have to push it. He did it 11 times the other night, tell me that would aggravate you but I kept my cool, gave him a bath, let him out, sat with him on the couch for a hour or so while I watched tv than went to bed, called him up on the bed which he jumped up like normal than started shaking and came up by my head layed on my pillow which was odd, well he peed on the bed :pensive:, I told him to get down cleaned it up, got new sheets ext and went to bed and left him alone. He was happy the next morning (this morning) playful and excited until he peed on the floor again, I was getting him excited talking to him if he wanted out ext kneeled down to pet him more to get to his level and that's when he peed, I let him out and he did it again in the basement while I was getting cloths out of the dryer. Wasn't even near him, he drizzled, walked away and laid down in the corner of the basement than I heard more peeing when I looked over and got what I needed and walked back up stares and left for work. I feel really bad for him but every time I try to get too close to him he pees and works himself up too much. After I let him out I will clean the mess he made in the basement. Like I said this is nothing I have had to deal with before and need advise, do I ignore it and let him think it's ok and maybe he will get better or make a point of it and maybe he finds out he's not in as much trouble as he thinks he is, idk but I do know I'm not gonna put up with a dog I have to clean up pee off the floor every time I go to pet him or call him over, if I can't get him to stop unfortunately he will have to find another home or become a outside dog, my house is already smelling musty even with my best attempts to clean it up as soon as it happens which really really upsets me when I come home and the house smells musty and floors look dingy from him peeing on himself and tracking it around. So please hopefully someone has a solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think he was neutered too young or abused. I think you are abusive to him. Now whether thats yelling or hitting, i cant say. Dogs dont randomly pee at the sight of someone just because.......

Maybe the dog would be better elsewhere or you should get into a good training class like yesterday!
I have had him a week and half, how can you make such an accusation to say I'm abusive towards the dog? You don't know the past of this dog or me and very short description on the situation. I know very little myself about the people who raised him, I got a year and half old very timid Shepard that I have been trying to boost his confidence up and have so far, except the last few days in the house. If you know so much about his problem than you will know how to fix it so enlighten me how todo that. I promise you that no other person other than maybe a pro dog trainer with concrete floors could have done better. I have done my best to bite my lip while he pees on my floor and my bed, I would like to see everyone else do the same, if that's a behavior you agree with than I wouldn't want to see how your floors and carpets look like.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Lol calm down people I didn't beat the dog, the only time I ever yelled at him was when he was chasing the neighbors cows and wouldn't come back, I may have smacked him over that when I told him he was bad for chasing around 3 $2000 animals and not coming back, he made a calf jump the fence into my yard :unamused:. I think that's acceptable..
Uh. The dog doesn't speak english. He doesn't understand the value of livestock. Wouldn't you chase a giant steak?
And, newsflash, smacking a dog for not coming back, doesn't make the dog want to come back.

You have already admitted a few times to yelling and scolding him for his peeing.

You have not even had him two weeks and you have already smacked him and yelled at him/took harsh tone with him after being afraid of you. That is going to make the dog more afraid of you.
You HAVE to bite your tongue when he pees at the sight of you. You are scaring him. And he will know that you are upset with him over being afraid of you, and that will make it worse. If you have to, don't even greet him when you come through the door, or just throw him a treat and go on with your routine.

If you truly believe that the dog is not afraid afraid of you, which you said you did, then he needs to go to a vet and be checked for for a UTI or something.

It's possible that the last people hit him a lot and that one swat from you set him back.

If you don't want to take the effort to find your patience and reset, to go back to the beginning and do not hit him, scold him, yell at him, any of that, to make him gain confidence in you, then perhaps you should contact a rescue and be perfectly honest and tell them you are not equipped to deal with the submissive peeing.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Uh. The dog doesn't speak english. He doesn't understand the value of livestock. Wouldn't you chase a giant steak?
And, newsflash, smacking a dog for not coming back, doesn't make the dog want to come back.

You have already admitted a few times to yelling and scolding him for his peeing.

You have not even had him two weeks and you have already smacked him and yelled at him/took harsh tone with him after being afraid of you. That is going to make the dog more afraid of you.
You HAVE to bite your tongue when he pees at the sight of you. You are scaring him. And he will know that you are upset with him over being afraid of you, and that will make it worse. If you have to, don't even greet him when you come through the door, or just throw him a treat and go on with your routine.

If you truly believe that the dog is not afraid afraid of you, which you said you did, then he needs to go to a vet and be checked for for a UTI or something.

It's possible that the last people hit him a lot and that one swat from you set him back.

If you don't want to take the effort to find your patience and reset, to go back to the beginning and do not hit him, scold him, yell at him, any of that, to make him gain confidence in you, then perhaps you should contact a rescue and be perfectly honest and tell them you are not equipped to deal with the submissive peeing.
I AGREE!

This dog deserves the best someone can give him. you need to change or change owners OP!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol calm down people I didn't beat the dog, the only time I ever yelled at him was when he was chasing the neighbors cows and wouldn't come back, I may have smacked him over that when I told him he was bad for chasing around 3 $2000 animals and not coming back, he made a calf jump the fence into my yard :unamused:. I think that's acceptable..

I would appreciate it if you wouldn't be as judgmental, you have some good points, just remember why I signed up here, I have admitted my way is not working with him and we're going backwards last few days, after doing so well and I'm here to find the way that is best for Max, yes I believe max is not afraid of me, he is afraid of my reaction to peeing on the floor. I had to work first shift this past weekend after working second this past week so when my dad came over to let him out he took him to his house to play on Friday and to play with his dog and because he had the next day off when I had to leave again at 5am, when my dad brought him back over he let max out, as soon as max saw me around 200 yards away he started running towards me and greeted me plus he follows me around the house all the time, it's only after he pees that he gets scared and tries to hide like he's in trouble.

Max is a very good dog and will work very well in my situation. You and a few others have a much different definition of abusive, I grew up getting the paddle when I was out of line and a dog was taken behind the shed so to speak until it got it right. I have talked to many people in person because I am honestly not sure the best way to deal with this, I have been told to use a shock collar and any physical punishment I have done was not nearly enough. But I don't and have believed physical punishment would work on this dog and didn't want to go that route. I have never had a problem with him not coming back or not listening I trained him to follow me into the chicken coop without chasing my 45 chickens, he wasn't chasing the cows to harm them, he was more or less herding them and exercising them. and I didn't automatically resort to yelling at him during that, I progressively got louder the longer he chased them around. He could easily outrun the cows but kept his distance behind them.

He has already been to the vet but a UTI was not a concern or tested for, he had a stool sample sent out, his blood was taken for a heart worm test, I got him 12 months of heartworm preventative and a few other things the vet said was due looking at his vet history. He did test positive to ringworm which I will go back there tomorrow moring to pick up his first treatment for that.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I would appreciate it if you wouldn't be as judgmental, you have some good points, just remember why I signed up here, I have admitted my way is not working with him and we're going backwards last few days, after doing so well and I'm here to find the way that is best for Max, yes I believe max is not afraid of me, he is afraid of my reaction to peeing on the floor. I had to work first shift this past weekend after working second this past week so when my dad came over to let him out he took him to his house to play on Friday and to play with his dog and because he had the next day off when I had to leave again at 5am, when my dad brought him back over he let max out, as soon as max saw me around 200 yards away he started running towards me and greeted me plus he follows me around the house all the time, it's only after he pees that he gets scared and tries to hide like he's in trouble.

Max is a very good dog and will work very well in my situation. You and a few others have a much different definition of abusive, I grew up getting the paddle when I was out of line and a dog was taken behind the shed so to speak until it got it right. I have talked to many people in person because I am honestly not sure the best way to deal with this, I have been told to use a shock collar and any physical punishment I have done was not nearly enough. But I don't and have believed physical punishment would work on this dog and didn't want to go that route. I have never had a problem with him not coming back or not listening I trained him to follow me into the chicken coop without chasing my 45 chickens, he wasn't chasing the cows to harm them, he was more or less herding them and exercising them. and I didn't automatically resort to yelling at him during that, I progressively got louder the longer he chased them around. He could easily outrun the cows but kept his distance behind them.

He has already been to the vet but a UTI was not a concern or tested for, he had a stool sample sent out, his blood was taken for a heart worm test, I got him 12 months of heartworm preventative and a few other things the vet said was due looking at his vet history. He did test positive to ringworm which I will go back there tomorrow moring to pick up his first treatment for that.
You should immediately ignore anyone who tells you that an overly fearful dog needs a shock collar or even harsher physical punishment. They clearly know absolutely NOTHING about raising and owning mentally healthy dogs if they think those are viable solutions. From what you have described, I think a shock collar or harder physical punishment would mentally destroy Max. He is clearly a soft, sensitive dog and you could ruin his mental stability for life if you use those methods.

I think he's afraid of you. Like other people have said, I think you need to immediately stop the punishing/scolding behavior. Punishing a dog for being afraid of you is like screaming at a child to make them stop crying - it's only going to exacerbate the behavior instead of working towards solving it.

Just because you got paddled or dogs got taken behind a shed and beaten for being bad doesn't make it okay. I'm not here to judge parenting skills, but I personally think paddling a child is abusive and laying an aggressive hand on a dog is, as well.

If he only pees when you approach him, I don't think it's a UTI. If he's randomly peeing at odd times, without an apparent cause, it might be.

If you want to make Max work for you, you need to work towards regaining his trust. Just clean up the urine and move on with your day. Judging by your description, he clearly doesn't WANT to pee in the house, and is terrified enough to do it anyways. Instead of feeling angry at him, I think you should feel sorry for him. He's doing his best to be a decent dog, and he's just confused as to how to go about it. Instead of punishing him for being a "bad" dog, show him how to be better by rewarding for peeing outside, throwing him treats when you approach him, and by ignoring his undesired behaviors.

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
You should immediately ignore anyone who tells you that an overly fearful dog needs a shock collar or even harsher physical punishment. They clearly know absolutely NOTHING about raising and owning mentally healthy dogs if they think those are viable solutions. From what you have described, I think a shock collar or harder physical punishment would mentally destroy Max. He is clearly a soft, sensitive dog and you could ruin his mental stability for life if you use those methods.

I think he's afraid of you. Like other people have said, I think you need to immediately stop the punishing/scolding behavior. Punishing a dog for being afraid of you is like screaming at a child to make them stop crying - it's only going to exacerbate the behavior instead of working towards solving it.

Just because you got paddled or dogs got taken behind a shed and beaten for being bad doesn't make it okay. I'm not here to judge parenting skills, but I personally think paddling a child is abusive and laying an aggressive hand on a dog is, as well.

If he only pees when you approach him, I don't think it's a UTI. If he's randomly peeing at odd times, without an apparent cause, it might be.

If you want to make Max work for you, you need to work towards regaining his trust. Just clean up the urine and move on with your day. Judging by your description, he clearly doesn't WANT to pee in the house, and is terrified enough to do it anyways. Instead of feeling angry at him, I think you should feel sorry for him. He's doing his best to be a decent dog, and he's just confused as to how to go about it. Instead of punishing him for being a "bad" dog, show him how to be better by rewarding for peeing outside, throwing him treats when you approach him, and by ignoring his undesired behaviors.
Well said. Right now, I'd concentrate on building a trusting relationship with him. For the peeing, go back to puppy 101. Frequent trips outside, and keep a close eye on him inside, if you see him about to pee, no yelling, just quickly take him outside. Take him out every 15 minutes if you have to, eventually he'll have to pee out there, and when he does, reward him HEAVILY, jackpot him with extra special treats, tell him what an amazing wonderful boy he is. You can get him past this, but it will take a lot of love, patience, and understanding from you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Once I started noticing me pointing it out to him made him go more frequently I went the opposite way about a day or two before I joined here, now instead of saying anything about it I just let him out and clean it up, he only has don't it twice a day since, once when I came home from work and the other a little this morning, he was happy and playful all the rest of the time so even in the last 24 hours of not saying anything about it he is less frequent. Hopefully in a few days he will stop all together, today I had him on the lead in the yard and walked back to the barn, he never stopped barking until I came back from feeding and watering the chickens so he still likes to be around me and he's trying. When I noticed it was getting worse him peeing on the floor I did go from being mad to feeling sad for him because with his reactions I know he didn't mean to. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The dog in front of you is afraid of you. It doesnt matter why. Continue to use harsh, outdated training methods with him and you are going to destroy him. Do you really want a dog that cowers and pees every time you approach him? Continue with the heavy handed "training" and that's what you're going to get.

Allow training to take a back seat for the moment. You'll have time to work on all of that but first you have to build a relationship with your dog. Right now its time to make YOU the absolute best thing in this dogs life. Relax. Do things HE likes. Play, go for walks, toss treats for him AWAY from you...reward by relieving pressure on him, by allowing him to move away.

Its work to live with a soft dog. You have to learn new tricks, new ways to teach them. When they give you their trust, when <scary thing> happens and they look to you, there's nothing in the world like it.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You need to learn a new way to train. Zac George and kikopup on youtube, as well as Ian Dunbar at http://dogstardaily.com all train dogs without touching them, without yelling, without punishing. It's all positive, it's all teaching the dog what to do, rather than punishing what not to do. It's about building trust and understanding.

You need to keep this one fact in mind: Dogs never, ever set out to disobey. Dogs are opportunists. They do what gets them what they want. They also don't think about the future much, and they don't understand cause and effect. So a dog sees a cow and they run after it. They don't think "Oh, this cow is expensive and my owner will be mad." they just see a cow and chase it. When you hit and yell at the dog for chasing the cow, the dog doesn't think, "Hmmm, I chased a cow and got hit. Cows must be valuable, I shall never do that again." No, the dog thinks, "I was running and then my owner hit and yelled at me. My owner is scary."

So just remember, your dog is never thinking of how to piss you off. Ever. He's just being a dog. Be patient, be kind and learn a new way to train. Do that, and you'll have an amazing friend. If you cannot do that, rehome him. Right away. It's not fair to him to be frightened all the time, so just be honest if you can't change, if you don't have patience, or you just don't want to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel the newer posts aren't reading all that has been posted, there's a lot of you need to change your methods or rehome the dog which if everything was read you all would know I have said many times when he started to get worse than I started changing my methods, I am constantly looking for new training methods and researching, thus why I'm here lol. Over all it's been progressive, as soon as we went backwards I quickly looked for a different method. I wasn't used to dealing with such a timid dog but a simple change in tactics made the difference. I invite you all to come to my house, see his lifestyle, environment and meet Max and I promise you all would agree he is making a lot of progress since I first got him, it's only been a few days of a set back and I'm sure in a few more days he will be much better. If you decide to post after this one, please give training technics not non progressive judgements or guesses on his state of mind or well being. Nobody here knows how things affect max unless I try them and post here how it went, general guesses is a waste of my time to read them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How are Max and you doing now? You're right, it's good that you've come here to find a solution and learn how to change your methods to help him trust you. I'm not as experienced with dogs as others here, but I'll tell you what I've been doing with my former-stray to try and gain her trust (granted, Max sounds like he is much, much more nervous than my dog):

Speak softly to the dog or to yourself while you're in the room together. Don't force any interaction, just be nearby and get on with what you are doing so the dog can learn to relax more around you and get more comfortable in your company. Maybe he will be less nervous if he approaches you in his own time, rather than you going to him?

It's going to be so hard to not get grumpy with that much pee about, but try your best not to punish him or "teach him a lesson" over the stinky puddle, the best way to react is just to clean up and try not to show him any reaction. In general, I think ignoring unwanted behaviour is the best way to go - if you try to punish him in any way, he will become even more fearful. Dogs seek our approval and hopefully your relationship will improve as he starts to see what behaviours he can do that make you happy. He can't understand what you're saying, but he will understand how you want him to behave when you give him lots of praise for wanted behaviours.

I'd recommend, like others have said, take him outside frequently, long enough that he will pee/poop there and then praise each time he goes in whatever way you think is best for him (a treat, a pat on the head, a cheerful "Good dog",...) If he pees outside enough then there will be a lot less left to pee into your carpet! In this way you can set up situations where he can succeed and get praise, and avoiding situations where he can do things you don't want.

I know you might feel defensive from others criticising your methods, or feel like people are being judgemental, but obviously we're all dog lovers, or we wouldn't be here giving or asking for advice.

All the best to you and Max - give him a cuddle from me! :p

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
One of my friends has a dog that submissive/excitement pees whenever he sees someone new enter the house.
He doesn't pee an excessive amount (just dribbles usually) so they either solve it with having him wear a belly band/diaper so that the mess doesn't happen on the floor each time when they can't work on it with him. (If your dog is peeing a lot, then this method isn't recommended.)

Otherwise when they come home they usually open the door and call the dog outside and meet him in the yard instead of meeting him in the house. That way if he pees it's 100% okay and an appropriate place to pee. They also don't look at him when they call him into the yard. They just open the door, head back out into the yard, call him so he knows the door is open, and then wait for him to pee on his own before greeting him. No pressure, he has room to move away from you if he's nervous, and he can approach you when he's ready/has already peed. No room for error because he's already outside and doing the right thing.

This will help build his confidence by not allowing him to make a mistake for the next while.
That being said you do need to just work on him in general so that he's more comfortable around you than he is. Which I'm sure others have already commented on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wanted to update you all, it's been a little bit of time since I posted here. I ended up just ignoring everything he did for about a week or two, all the peeing on the floor ext. he soon started chewing on things inside the house and getting into the trash, so I had to puppy proof the house a bit more lol. All he chewed up was plastic spachulas and plastic cooking spoons, stuff like that, nothing of value, I got him more toys at the store and hide milk bones threw out the house before I go anywhere which kept him entertained and from chewing up anything more. I just cleaned everything up and threw it away, he pees on the floor still but it's rare and I never say anything about it, I can hang out with him all day, play with him and get very personal with him and he may once, I go out of my way to hug him and kneel down to his level to hug him and give him kisses lol and he's doing very well, he doesn't act timid as much now, he's more confident all the time, I rarely see him with his ears back, he's happy and is my buddy following me everywhere lol, we turned out to be good friends, when I'm home I try to aggravate him constantly, get him playing and excited lol all I can say about him is he gets even when playing lmao I really enjoy playing with him, I actually miss him when I go to work. Also he still chases the neighbors cows but I just keep him tied up when he's outside and if I'm not right there with him, one day I was at the barn working on my car, he was back there with me being a good boy just laying on the floor and I checked on him often to make sure he was there and not running off, I got a call from the neighbor that he was chasing his cows in the last 10-15 mins, so he must have snuck off ran the cows a few laps than ran right back lol I think he did it a couple of times because he acted guilty a few times and I didn't understand why but I never saw he was gone so I just tied him up. The only time I have gotten mad at him and corrected him since the last time I posted was getting into the trash, I at first put the can on the counter but recently have been working with him not to get in there, he did last night again and I corrected him on it again, but he understands and isn't upset or timid about it, I will just be consistent and eventually he will stop. Also I can't be home without him being close to me, I can put him on his lead outside where he is on a swivel post with a 25ft lead and even when I mow the grass and leave him on the lead outside he just barks all the time lmao, from the time I tie him up to when I let him off after I'm done mowing he is barking wanting to be near me lol. He doesn't do it if I'm in the house but if I walk back to feed and water the chickens or to hop on the mower to mow he's looking at me and barking which is a good sign he's attached to me, sheppards are Velcro dogs and he's showing that behavior. To summarize everything, Max is doing great, I can trust him being in the house without being destructive (I don't see him in the trash as destructive, it's trash), I have never had to buy a kennel, we are getting along great and are great friends, he goes everywhere with me when I'm not working, knows the property lines and is protective of the house and property, he doesn't care if he sees people but will bark if the neighbors kids or someone walking on the street is in the front yard which is exactly what I want him todo, he has shown many times about being protective over me also, he doesn't like new people getting close lol, he's not vicious but he will growl and bark at someone until there acquainted. I have just over $400 invested in vet bills so far but Max has been worth it, he will be with me for a long time. He's up to date on everything, negative for heart worms, only thing was he had ringworm, he has had his first treatment for that (a powder I sprinkle on his food 3 days in a row) than in 2 weeks he gets another than will he 100% healthy, I joke the dog has better healthcare than I do lmao, I haven't been to a doctor in 4 years but he has seen one twice since I had him, and is on heart worm preventative, flee treatment and a few other things the vet suggested if he's social lol. He's a good dog and I'm really happy I got him, I found him on Craigslist and gave $300 for him and got all his papers, he was up to date on 3 year rabies ext and is fixed already, only thing left is renew his rabies in 2017 and enjoy his company until he gets old and passes on, being he's a year and a half old I have a long time with him yet. The comments on here did help put me in the mindset to be patient with him and give him time without correcting him on bad behavior for awhile

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
To summarize everything, Max is doing great, I can trust him being in the house without being destructive (I don't see him in the trash as destructive, it's trash), I have never had to buy a kennel, we are getting along great and are great friends, he goes everywhere with me when I'm not working, knows the property lines and is protective of the house and property, he doesn't care if he sees people but will bark if the neighbors kids or someone walking on the street is in the front yard which is exactly what I want him todo, he has shown many times about being protective over me also, he doesn't like new people getting close lol, he's not vicious but he will growl and bark at someone until there acquainted. I have just over $400 invested in vet bills so far but Max has been worth it, he will be with me for a long time.
The comments on here did help put me in the mindset to be patient with him and give him time without correcting him on bad behavior for awhile
I'm very glad that Max is doing well!

Also, I must say, it takes a very strong person to take the criticism you took and turn it into a positive learning experience. It seems like you have changed your mindset into one that works well for Max, and this internet stranger is proud of you for doing what's right for your dog! I wish you a long and happy relationship with him :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now max is annoying, he follows me everywhere and won't let leave his site without him following me. He is a bed hog now and no matter how much I try to wear him out, I wear out first lol. He's still doing great, such a smart dog. He's been such a good dog, never getting in the trash or chewing on anything now. He's a little brat lol he run by bites me now and than because I do the same to him all the time and he has a ball playing. He only will nip me because he knows we're playing, he knows not to play with anyone else like that. I give him plenty of toys and he gives me a lot of joy, he absolutely goes nuts when I come home, he usually greets me with a toy in his mouth ready to play. When people come around he doesn't pay a bit of attention to them unless they call his name, his focus is 100% on me.

I took the good from what people said because I knew they were wrong, people are crazy and stupid when it comes to animals and this situation proves that, I got a dog so scared of people he pissed himself and was destructive and I turned him into one of the best behaved, loyal and now confident dogs I have ever had.

I trained him on a wireless electric fence, I took the collar off him 4-5 months ago and he has never ran out of the yard once, he runs out, goes potty, sits at the back door and barks at me till I let him back in, and every min I'm in the house he's stuck to my side.

It's funny, I walk to the barn, max barks from the house till I come back. As soon as I leave my 3 cows they obnoxiously moo at me to come back and give them more corn lol, only ones I can win with are the chickens because they just don't care either way, they do know what go outside is though, I say let's go outside and half run to the door waiting for me to open it, past that there dumb as a box of rocks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts