Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep doing this even as I try to cut only a little bit of her nail. I always seem to get her quick too. She's small and her nails are black so it's hard to see. Any tips on how to avoid hurting her? :(

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Use a Dremel or a file. I only use the clipper to take the the tips off (when I've let trimming go too long).

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Cut a very small amount off, look at the nail, you should beable to see a white dot when you are reaching the quick.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use a Dremel or a file. I only use the clipper to take the the tips off (when I've let trimming go too long).
I've got a peticure that I've never uses, maybe give that a try?
Do you use a regular nail file?

Cut a very small amount off, look at the nail, you should beable to see a white dot when you are reaching the quick.
I do cut off very little but sometimes I still hit the quick. We walk on sidewalks a lot so maybe it's pretty low already? I don't see white, unless you are referring to the nail? BTW, Blaze is beautiful, I've always wanted a rough collie.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Are you sure her nails aren't short enough already? If you're cutting off very little and still hitting the quick, her nails must be pretty short. I don't ever clip my dogs' nails; they are always short enough because we walk on a lot of tarmac and concrete. Do you have a picture?

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
If you feel they need to be trimmed or shaped you could try a nail file from a beauty supply store (sometimes Walmart carries them in the nail / manicure aisle). They are the kind of emery boards (usually funky colors) that are used for acrylic nails, pretty coarse. They will do a nice job on the dog nails.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I've got a peticure that I've never uses, maybe give that a try?
Do you use a regular nail file?
The peti is a good option if your dog will tolerate the noise and vibration. IMO it's worth working on it. My dog has claws like a velociraptor, and they grow quickly. When I use a hand file, I use a cross-cut, 2nd cut machinist file. For a small dog, you could use a manicure file (don't buy junk) or emery boards.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
If you walk on concrete surfaces a lot than you may not need to trim her nails. Her nail should be (the tips) even with her pad when you look from the side. If you look at the underside of her nail and there is no groove (v-shaped from the tip back) than the nails are too short too trim. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I cut them because when she walks on the hard wood floors at home, it goes clicky clat, clicky clat so I thought it might be too long. She walks on concrete everyday so I thought it didn't need to be trimmed, but if she if her nails are making sound when walking it may be too long? I'll check tonight to see if they are even.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Thanks everyone. I cut them because when she walks on the hard wood floors at home, it goes clicky clat, clicky clat so I thought it might be too long. She walks on concrete everyday so I thought it didn't need to be trimmed, but if she if her nails are making sound when walking it may be too long? I'll check tonight to see if they are even.
Blaze make the clicky noise while walking on the harwood as well. but his are also right at the quick. I never cut them. I cut them maybe 2 times a year in winter since he doesnt get to wear them down on concrete then. Otherwise I just do the declaws and he is fine. So ours might be right at the quick, some quicks are longer then others. You could slowly file them down and the quick should get smaller if the noise is a problem. Otherwise I wouldnt bother cutting them at all.

PS: Thanks for the compliment on Blaze. :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I recently started using a PediPaws on Shippo because I got tired of hurting him with the pressure from the clippers (he's a wuss). He responds much better to this and I'm able to get them filed back a lot shorter than if I were to use the clippers. And supposedly, if you file back too far with a dremel-type tool, and end up nicking them, it's less painful than having the ends of their quicks chopped off by a metal blade. I haven't had it happen to me yet though, so don't quote me on that one lol.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked and her nails are even with her pad. I'm a dummy. I just probably will file it from now on to smooth it out. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
There is a nerve that extends 3-4 mm beyond where the end of the quick is. So if your dog starts to react when you are grinding...take notice. It's a good way to know when to stop. At that point you should be able to see the nail bed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would recommend a regular nail file, as opposed to a dremel. A regular nail file may take a little bit longer, but a dremel can take off too much if your not careful, and again you can end up damaging the quick, along with getting a dogs fur caught in it.

I do aesthetics, and will not even use a dremel on a person, definitely not going to use it on my dog!!

Also, if your really worried, most vets will do this for you complimentary. :)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Also to keep the nails nice and short do them every week. It is just part of our weekly grooming. Saturday morning is a quick brushing and dremel the nails. It only takes a few minutes to do both dogs because they stay nice and short, I just buzz the end a little bit to take any rough edges off.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I would recommend a regular nail file, as opposed to a dremel. A regular nail file may take a little bit longer, but a dremel can take off too much if your not careful, and again you can end up damaging the quick, along with getting a dogs fur caught in it.
If anyone is worried about it being too high-powered or getting fur caught in it, I think the pedipaws would work fine for them. It is low-powered (in fact, many people on here were complaining about it not filing fast enough, compared to more advanced dremel kits) and has a guard that helps prevent fur getting caught. I switched to it because I got sick of damaging my own nails during traditional filing, and it taking 30 minutes to file the nails down on one dog. But to each his own lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have not personally used the pedipaws, however my sister-in-law has, and she said it works great. No issues, nothing. The only complaint I have heard is that it takes too long, however I think that is MUCH better than taking too much off too quickly. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use pedipaws on my dog. I also have a dremel but she has long hair and is a squirmer and the pedipaws has a protective cover on it. She's much more comfortable having her nails done this way other than clipping, but I hate that it's battery operated. I much would prefer a plug in type like my dremel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts