Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seemingly happy....

Scream! Run! Or...do what everyone else does; laugh.

Amber got shaved down on Sunday, because we took pity on her being so hot. Now people take pity on us for having such an ugly dog. lol EVERYONE, I repeat everyone, was laughing as we walked out of the store. And on walks. Sigh. But it was right on time, because she has to sit outside all day (With water + shade ;) ) because our house is being painted. That's another story. (She won't shut up)

She was shaved everywhere except for her legs, tail, and head. lol She looks like a sheep.

"What? Why are you laughing??"

Amber would be embarrassed if she knew about this.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
That's the biggest Chinese Crested I've ever seen! :eek:

:D

·
Registered
431 Posts
Definitely different. So didn't you shave the legs, head & tail?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the biggest Chinese Crested I've ever seen! :eek:

:D
lol.
No, they decided not to shave her head, legs, and tail, 1.) because if they shaved her tail she would look like a rat, lol, and 2.) she was fidgety and they didn't want to risk hurting her.

She is ALOT more comfortable, now, and has alot more energy, etc.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
now just be careful of sun-burning....she definitely looks...unique.......i opt for a swimming pool for mine, works wonders....

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
now just be careful of sun-burning....she definitely looks...unique.......i opt for a swimming pool for mine, works wonders....
Cresteds tan... I wonder if coated dogs can too? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I suggest a swimming pool, too. Here are a couple articles about shaving dogs with double coats (which it looks like your dog has)...

Remember, dogs don't sweat like we do. People make the mistake of thinking that if WE had a coat on, we'd be cooler if we took it off. Not so with dogs.

My Dog is Too Hot - Let's Shave Him

These include retrievers, pomeranians, great Pyranees, chow chows, pugs, German shepherds, huskies, and the list goes on and on. Their coats act as insulators against the elements, and should never be shaved. After all, do you take the insulation out of your home in the summer to make it cooler? Absolutely not, and the same goes for these dogs as well.
3 Ways to Keep Your Dog Cool This Summer

Coats vary as much as the breeds; but, for the most part, the rule of thumb is no shaving. In general, your dog has two layers of fur. The outside layer traps the heat and keeps it away from the skin. The inside layer is cooler. Your dog gets rid of excessive heat in other ways.
Please keep him out of the sun until the hair starts growing back in or get some doggie sunblock. He could get a bad burn.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That first link was great, many thanks for posting it FourIsCompany!! I've shaved my dog twice in previous years and was considering doing it again shortly, that is before I read the article *wink*. Mostly it was about all the shedding and having to vacume the floors so much, yes yes lazy me *lol. I can say Taylor will be keeping his fur from now on though!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Mostly it was about all the shedding and having to vacume the floors so much,
I have 3 double coated dogs and if I brush them regularly (outside), the hair on the floor magically disappears! :D But I know what you mean.

·
Registered
223 Posts
With the warmer weather I'm back to groomiing him outside but I still have annoying little Taylor Tumbleweeds blowing every which way on the hardwood *LOL. Right now I brush him every 3 days, up from my once a week during the rest of the year, oy, oy, oy *smiles*.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the link. She has a baby pool available to her every time she goes outside. They only took one layer off; she still has plenty of fur left. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts