Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not at this point in a position to switch my dog to a complete raw diet. However, I have done some reading and am really interested in supplementing his kibble (natural balance) with more meat, veggies, etc.

A book I read recently was Whole Pet Diet, by Andi Brown, and I really liked a lot of the things she talked about. I'm planning re reading the book and getting serious about picking up some of those practices.

Some raw I am OK with. I've done bones before, for example. Cooking is OK, as well and throwing some extra stuff in his breakfast and dinner. I just want some extra ideas.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Eggs with shells, chicken quarters, fresh or canned sardines, any leftover raw meats would work, really. If you wanted to go raw but didn't feel you were ready, you could look into premade raw products like Darwin's or Primal (frozen) or dehydrated raw like Ziwipeak etc. There are a lot of options, though premades are pretty much always more costly than homemade raw diets.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Most dogs love pumpkin and it's good for them. I grew pie pumpkins this year, and kabota loves to eat cooked chunks. I give him marrow bones to chew on, too. My grocery store doesn't put them out, but I asked at the meat counter, and they were more than happy to prepare them for me.

Raw pumpkin: cut out the stem, quarter, scoop out the seeds and stringy bits, then put in a big pan with 4 cups of water and cook 1-2 hours at 350F. It's done when a knife easily slides through. Cut off the skin and you're done. Freeze what you don't need, it reheats fine.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I have a related question: I was at the store yesterday & saw pork neck bones (raw) are these good for dogs? Mine don't get raw fed, but I wanted some recreational bones for them that weren't as big as the slab o' ribs which I don't think will Ben speedster will fit in that small travel trailer fridge. Are pork necks a good rec chew for dogs?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Most of the time the neck bones in stores have been cut and have sharp bones. If they don't they are a great bone to chew and eat.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I have a related question: I was at the store yesterday & saw pork neck bones (raw) are these good for dogs? Mine don't get raw fed, but I wanted some recreational bones for them that weren't as big as the slab o' ribs which I don't think will Ben speedster will fit in that small travel trailer fridge. Are pork necks a good rec chew for dogs?
I've heard bad things about them when they are cut up, but I bought some before I knew that, and Sydney eats them just fine. They aren't something I would give a dog that tends to gulp, and I would always check to make sure you aren't feeding the pieces that are very hard and/or sharp (from being cut with a blade), but for me, in my specific situation I take a calculated risk with them. They are just so cheap and she loves them. Your dogs are slightly larger, so I'm not sure if I would take the same risk with them.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Most dogs love pumpkin and it's good for them. I grew pie pumpkins this year, and kabota loves to eat cooked chunks. I give him marrow bones to chew on, too. My grocery store doesn't put them out, but I asked at the meat counter, and they were more than happy to prepare them for me.

Raw pumpkin: cut out the stem, quarter, scoop out the seeds and stringy bits, then put in a big pan with 4 cups of water and cook 1-2 hours at 350F. It's done when a knife easily slides through. Cut off the skin and you're done. Freeze what you don't need, it reheats fine.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feeds marrow bones lol, I have heard it said that they aren't good for dogs, but my DF store I buy from was having a special on them so I picked up a couple for thr dogs, they aren't 'hard' chewers so I thought it would be ok, they LOVED them :) they look like this: http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...rrow bones for dogs&sa=N&biw=480&bih=268#i=25

Also once they clean thr marrow out, I had this idea to re-stuff them with something... Like a long... Does anyone have any suggestions besides PB... Can't use that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, my dog is a 60lb Lab mix, and a pretty good chewer. I've given him raw bones here and there, and he eats the entire thing in under two hours, or so. What bone/meat parts could I give him 3-4 times a week as an extra food source, and what else would I have to add to keep things balanced?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Turkey necks, chicken backs, ribs, etc. are great for cleaning teeth. Although if you are going to add these in you might want that to be a raw meal night as kibble and raw don't mix well for all dogs. I would feed half the normal kibble meal in the morning and half of 2% of your dogs body weight at night raw those days you want to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Teeth cleaning is something I want to get from a somewhat raw diet, too. I don't do extra crunch stuff anymore.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Bony awkward cuts along with what I said before would be your best bet then. Although every cut of meat cleans teeth to aome degree because of the ripping involved. They make the dogs chew and use their teeth more.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I bought some before I knew better. Callie is a pretty thurough chewer, but she had issues digesting some. She passed bone shards that hurt her, and must have cut up her insides a bit because she has a little bit of blood in her poop the next couple of days. Never again.

You could always talk to your butcher and try to get some uncut vertabrae. :)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
i ended up getting a couple of the marrow bones (i know they can break teeth on them but mine arent horribly strong chewers) that natures variety instinct has, they also had turkey necks but i wanted something that would last longer LOL & they seem to love them, i dont give them every nite bc josefina would rather chew on the mbone then eat her kibble :-/

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feeds marrow bones lol, I have heard it said that they aren't good for dogs, but my DF store I buy from was having a special on them so I picked up a couple for thr dogs, they aren't 'hard' chewers so I thought it would be ok, they LOVED them :) they look like this: http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...rrow bones for dogs&sa=N&biw=480&bih=268#i=25

Also once they clean thr marrow out, I had this idea to re-stuff them with something... Like a long... Does anyone have any suggestions besides PB... Can't use that.
What about canned or fresh mashed pumpkin/squash. If you buy it though, be careful you're getting pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling! I use Libby's 100% Pumpkin in my baking, and the only ingredient is 100% pure pumpkin.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts

I give marrow bones pretty regularly, too. I know a lot of people don't like them, but I'm comfortable with my dogs' chewing styles with them. When the marrow is gone I sometimes make a mash out of kibble soaked in water and mix in whatever I have lying around: a mashed banana, a couple of dollops of plain unsweetened yogurt, mashed up sardines, smushed Natural Balance rolls, or whatever (I use PB too but obviously you won't) then stuff and freeze.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Beef ribs are a nice recreational chew. My dogs don't eat the bones (and one of my dogs is a mastiff and I know he is capable) but I have heard some dogs will crunch the ribs down. Turkey necks are a good one too. If you can come across an animal head, its a very fun recreational activity for a dog.

If you can get trachea, it is full of glucosamine. You can stuff ground meat inside it and freeze it to make a fun summer chew for outside. Maybe even freeze it in a small amount of chicken broth (no sodium) so its like a popsicle with a surprise edible toy inside.

Ok, the ideas are limitless. LOL

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
also are the raw bones ok to re freeze? like... its not going to make them brittle or anything? just checking in case. i might try a mash of dog food/yogurt or something like that. the marrow isnt totally gone yet tho, its the stuff right in the middle LOL, the stuff they cant quite get to. their teeth all ready look better :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts