Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at petco to get saddlebags for Upendi and I decided to take a look at what kinds of food they have and let me say I wasn't impressed. But, to get to my point there was one food in particular that was $52 for 35 lbs and this was the ingredient list. Why would you even considering paying that much for those ingredients? :rolleyes:
Chicken by-products (organs only, including chicken liver), chicken, corn, chicken by-product meal, dried beet pulp, brewers dried yeast, cane molasses, egg product, salt, sodium propionate (a preservative), dl-methionine, l-lysine, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, riboflavin supplement, niacin, biotin, choline chloride, folic acid, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), ascorbic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, manganous oxide, inositol, BHA (a preservative), ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, zinc oxide, cobalt carbonate, potassium iodide, sodium selenite.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Some breeders swear by that food, but I thought it was at least cheaper than that!!! I won't even buy fish food that has BHA/BHT in it.......

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see why, the ingredients honestly don't look that great to me. And I don't like BHA/BHT either, I also like to know about ethoxyquin in fish foods.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I wouldn't pay that much even if it was all grade a human quality dog food. At least not with all of these big dogs running around. ;-)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I think I know what food that is...and that is more than I would pay for any dog food right now, but I don't think it's a bad food.

·
Banned
335 Posts
I've used the frozen version of that food for training treats and it is excellent for that purpose. I am careful not to criticize most dog foods, though, since not all dogs do well on all foods and not even the "best" foods are best for every dog. Except for the beet pulp, I see very little that is I would object to in that ingredient panel, since most of the "chemical" names describe vitamins and minerals that have been added to the food. Would I pay that much for a bag? Not with as many dogs as I have. Still, I can't see what is terribly objectional about it compared to, say, department store name brand dog foods.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It's not terrible compared to department store brands, but I don't think they charge $52 at the Dept Store.

Hulk, it's corn and chicken by-products I don't like. There's nothing in corn for dogs. It's purely a filler. Not to mention the preservatives...

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Not surprising. Petco is expensive. I certainly wouldn't pay that, when you can get better for the same price or the same food/quality for less. Petco carries some foods that some say are lower quality or whatever but I'm not sure why people buy them there. They are like $10 higher then other places where you can get the exact same food.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
It's not terrible compared to department store brands, but I don't think they charge $52 at the Dept Store.

Hulk, it's corn and chicken by-products I don't like. There's nothing in corn for dogs. It's purely a filler. Not to mention the preservatives...
The price is ridiculous. I'll grant you that.

What's the issue with the chicken by-products? Wouldn't dogs normally eat stuff like that if they came across it? I can see you're point with the corn though. The preservatives I've got no issues with. You find them in anything nowadays and people eat them all the time with no real issues.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
T
What's the issue with the chicken by-products?
For me, it's because it doesn't say what part of the chicken it is. It could be chicken anus by-products. Or toenails or beaks.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I paid $40 for a forty pound bag of dog food that contains the following ingredients:

Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Whole Brown Rice, Rice Bran, Rice Flour, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Lamb, Potato Protein, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Rice Protein Concentrate, Natural Flavors, Pea Protein, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tochopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Salt, Egg Product, Dried Kelp, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Garlic Flavor, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, (source of Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6) thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Sodium Selenite, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

·
Banned
335 Posts
For me, it's because it doesn't say what part of the chicken it is. It could be chicken anus by-products. Or toenails or beaks.
Pet food companies are restricted to using "edible" parts in by-products. They can't use toenails, beaks, feathers, hooves, hair-covered hide, or bone--that's just a myth that was started to prevent people from buying pet foods that list by-products.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I was feeding Canidae but swithced to Evo. yes it is expensive but I feed less of it so the annual cost is a wash.

I pay $42 for 28.6 pounds of Evo large bites containing this:

Turkey
Chicken
Turkey Meal
(Turkey meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone derived from the parts of whole carcasses of turkey--exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, or entrails.)
Chicken Meal
(Chicken meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts of whole carcasses of chicken -- exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, or entrails.)
Potatoes
Herring Meal
(Herring meal is the clean, rendered (cooked down), dried ground tissue of undecomposed whole herring or herring cuttings, either or both, with or without the extraction of part of the oil).
Chicken Fat
Natural Flavors
(Natural flavors are flavor ingredients that do not contain synthetic or artificial components.)
Egg
Apples
Tomatoes
Potassium Chloride
Carrots
Vitamins
(AAFCO regulates minimum standard quantities of vitamins in levels that pets need to survive. Included in our foods are some of the following vitamins and minerals: Ascorbic Acid, Beta Carotene, Biotin, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Dicalcium Pantothenate, dl-Methionine, Folic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, Potassium Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin C Supplement (Sodium Ascorbate), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (Alpha Tocopherol), Zinc Proteinate)
Garlic
Cottage Cheese
Minerals
(The minerals Natura uses are chelated, providing three to ten times greater assimilation than common minerals. Included in our foods are some of the following vitamins and minerals: Ascorbic Acid, Beta Carotene, Biotin, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Dicalcium Pantothenate, dl-Methionine, Folic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, Potassium Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin C Supplement (Sodium Ascorbate), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (Alpha Tocopherol), Zinc Proteinate Natura adds these important vitamins and minerals, in proper balance to its foods to ensure that your pet gets all the necessary nutrients for life and good health every day.)
Alfalfa Sprouts
Ascorbic Acid
(Ascorbic acid is a form of vitamin C,Dried Chicory Root )
Dried Chicory Root
Direct-Fed Microbials
(Direct-fed microbials are living microbes that can be found in a healthy digestive tract. Vitamin E Supplement)
Lecithin
Rosemary Extract

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Another Innova feeder here (not the Evo variety, though).

Yeah, it's expensive to be sure. 2/3 c a day, though, isn't much at all and I've definitely noticed a difference in his energy level and stamina ever since I've switched.

·
Banned
894 Posts
PETCO is now selling Wellness, BTW. 53.99 for 30 lbs.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Hulk, it's corn and chicken by-products I don't like. There's nothing in corn for dogs. It's purely a filler.
Corn is not pure filler. Here are two studies dealing with the digestibility of corn by dogs: Study 1 and Study 2.

It shouldn't be used a primary protein source, because obviously meat is superior in that regard and corn has the least amount of digestible protein compared to other grains, but by itself it isn't any worse than any other grain unless your dog is allergic to it. I'm not sure how it got singled out as 'the devil' of grain, really, there isn't any science that supports the bashing it gets. Out of all the ingredients in the dog food the OP is talking about, it's one of the least problematic.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The breeder I got my pup from was feeding these ing. to Kina.

Ingredients:
Chicken meal, rice, corn gluten meal, chicken fat, dried egg powder, brown rice, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), natural flavors, wheat gluten, dried brewers yeast, rice hulls, anchovy oil (source of EPA/ DHA), potassium chloride, sodium silico aluminate, flax seed, salt, fructo-oligosaccharides, calcium carbonate, salmon meal, taurine, brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides), choline chloride, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C*), biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, niacin, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], marigold extract (Calendula officinalis L.), trace minerals [zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite] , preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid, rosemary extract.

A 15 pound bag was $42.00!

Since Kina was really not doing well on it, I switched her to California Naturals Lamb meal and Rice puppy. I just bought a 15 pound bag yesterday for $40.99!

Prior to switching her I began dissecting all the ingred in the food the breeder was giving her. Why would anyone want to give an ingred to their pup that is used as insulation for building materials or fertilizer!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts