Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think its a vet techs curse to get the "special" ones.

Indie has had her fair share of problems as a pup, I thought oh maybe now she is getting older she will grow out of it.

Well she did. Then we moved to australia from NZ.

Low and behold when she got here(after 10 days in a kennel) she has lost 2kg which is heaps for her cos she has always had weight problems.

All went well after that till she had a tumble with some doggy friends.

Partial tendon tear in her left hock. Then develops and unknown allergy and has to go on more drugs. Still recovering from both these things. Bald patches in multiple places. Blown coat, she is a mess. Skinny as a rake, bunny hopping round. Tired and lethargic from the steroids. Ugh. Not to mention I am waiting for her to come off the roids so I can try melatonin.

Now after all that, she is displaying tell tale signs of HD. Either her leg was misdiagnosed or not healed(even though it has been long enough) or the hardwood floors have done a number on her. We have never had hardwood floors before. So she found herself scrambling around a bit when we first got in this house. That and I am probably being a paranoid owner. I need to learn to loosen up.

You know what they say with these things, when it rains, it pours.
Have a trip to the vet this weekend. Wish me luck. I am a wreck.

If there are any pointers you can give me about anything at all, I would much appreciate it. Qualified though I am, people here do know a great deal more then I do. I find myself learning from members here stuff that never popped up at university.(then again it all comes with experience) So before I look to myself I look to you (and my vet of course), your all so knowledgeable :)

Rant over.
Thanks for bearing with me!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
My lab Tank is showing signs of HD and arthritis. You will not know until you have X-rays. Tank has had hip/leg problems for awhile. It has been ruff. It's all can't do this, can't do that. During winter he has to have a heating pad under him, and a blanket over him. He sleeps with me and I am bad with heat so the heating pad he gets mostly to himself. if he doesn't have those things he is SO sore and gets grouchy! if a little kid hits his hip, he is fine but if bent knocks into him he gives him a warning snap. he can't go for 5 mile runs anymore(he could do it but vet says no), no more long hikes. an activity that is a good one though, swimming it wears him out and it is good for his hips.

Tank also has a weird run. He runs side ways, can't make sharp turns but has to swing his back end first then the rest of his body. He is SO clumsy. he falls all the time, so that doesn't help at all.

Now that I just wrote a book. I will keep Indie in my thoughts.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
My lab Tank is showing signs of HD and arthritis. You will not know until you have X-rays. Tank has had hip/leg problems for awhile. It has been ruff. It's all can't do this, can't do that. During winter he has to have a heating pad under him, and a blanket over him. He sleeps with me and I am bad with heat so the heating pad he gets mostly to himself. if he doesn't have those things he is SO sore and gets grouchy! if a little kid hits his hip, he is fine but if bent knocks into him he gives him a warning snap. he can't go for 5 mile runs anymore(he could do it but vet says no), no more long hikes. an activity that is a good one though, swimming it wears him out and it is good for his hips.

Tank also has a weird run. He runs side ways, can't make sharp turns but has to swing his back end first then the rest of his body. He is SO clumsy. he falls all the time, so that doesn't help at all.

Now that I just wrote a book. I will keep Indie in my thoughts.
Is he on Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM and an NSAID like Rimadyl/Previcox/duralac/etodolac? If not he probably ought to be. And ask your vet about Adequan. It can really help.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Is he on Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM and an NSAID like Rimadyl/Previcox/duralac/etodolac? If not he probably ought to be. And ask your vet about Adequan. It can really help.
his suspected HD and Arthritis has not been confirmed yet.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You have my sympathies. Some dogs just seem to have no luck at all.

Muggsy got arthritic with age. Glucosamine helps, and you don't have to wait for a diagnosis, you can give it to any dog at any age. Other than that, short, frequent, gentle exercise is key. I have arthritis and if I don't get up to move every half hour or so, my joints "freeze" and it is very painful. Be gentle with her in the mornings, too. 8 hours of sleep guarantees stiff, painful joints. I'm a cranky mess until I loosen up, so I can forgive a dog for being that way.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back from vet. Mixed news. She does have good movement in her hips but her cruciates in both legs are semi lax and she said its likely that if we x rayed her hips anyway that we would find out that they aren't that flash. Definetly mixed feelings about that visit..

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a dog like that... Mouse is 3.5 years old and is deaf, very sight impaired, with signs it's getting worse, missing half a foot from an injury before she was rescued at 4 months old, is allergic to metal (including stainless steel so she's not been spayed as I dont want to risk her with an optional surgery), vinegar and something unknown, has sleep apnea, is more often than not bald on the sides of her face, neck, throat, and chest, Has to wear a t-shirt outside as grass gives her a rash on her chest and she sunburns, and, a couple of weeks ago, I discovered her bad foot has abscessed! Now she looks like she needs minor surgery to remove a thorn or something, as it's come back after her AB's were done...

And yet, she's the happiest dog I know! Go figure!

Good luck with the next vet visit!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts