Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talked into buying Science Diet puppy food at the pet store today. I have read a litle about it now and am pissed that I did. Is this a big deal? I am also pissed off because it has dried beet pulp in it which apparantly causes tear stains. I just wanted to buy the best puppy food out there for my maltipoo. UGH. What should I do? I pick up my puppy SUNDAY. The problem is I live in a small town that has no special pet stores and I had to go an hour and a half for this bag of food. What puppy food should I buy? Please help ASAP.

Thanks,

Abbie

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Not a fan of Science Diet, but some dogs do well on it. There is no one food that is the best for every dog out there. But if you really don't want to feed Science Diet, you can try returning it, or donating it to a local shelter.
I have no specific brand to recommend; I can only say that Wellness and Taste of the Wild are two brands that have worked well for my dog. But as long as you read labels, you should make an educated decision in the end.
Are there no pet food stores nearby at all? Sometimes they're pretty well hidden ;) You can try asking vets or local dog owners where they get their food from?
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
We HAVE pet stores in town, but I still choose to buy ours from doggiefood.com - they have flat rate $4.95 shipping (which is especially helpful in 40lb bags of dog food!) and a huge selection of foods to choose from at great prices. There is also nationalpetpharmacy.com which also has the flat rate shipping, plus they sell a lot of other pet related items too.

You can use dogfoodadvisor.com to show you how foods match up. The more stars the better. :) Here you can compare Science diet to Taste of the wild.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
If you are in a rural area do you have a feed store? If you do it is absolutely worth a try.

Science Diet isn't the end of the world for a little while, I would plan on changing in the future if I were you, but you don't necessarily need to insist on completely grain free either. The entire time we've fed Caeda grain free, meat only foods she has had nothing but gas and diarrhea. That's just my opinion though, others will very possibly tell you different.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Do you have a Tractor Supply? They have a pretty good house brand called 4Health (if you are on a budget this is a good but not great food) and a decent selection of higher end foods (most carry Taste of the Wild at least).
Other locally owned feed/farm stores will carry dog food but obviously the brands will vary.

If you start out on Science Diet, there is nothing wrong with trying it and then changing it (slowly over a week or two) if you find a food you (and the dog) prefers. I fed Science Diet at first because that's what the shelter had the dogs on and I figured I'd see how the dog did on it. I found it pretty mediocre, especially for the price. Vets tend to recommend it because SD finances food programs in vet schools.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the good news is I decided to pick up my puppy next saturday instead. So I can return the science diet and get a better food. The breeder has him on purena puppy chow right now. She's feeding him wet and dry. I'm assuming I should probably slowly switch him over to a different food, What would you guys suggest?

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Well the good news is I decided to pick up my puppy next saturday instead. So I can return the science diet and get a better food. The breeder has him on purena puppy chow right now. She's feeding him wet and dry. I'm assuming I should probably slowly switch him over to a different food, What would you guys suggest?
There are tons of good brands, a good starting place is to read the 4 and 5 star brands on dogfoodadvisor.com as Binkalette mentioned.
I prefer a grain free food since my dog does very well on it, but grains like barley and millet aren't necesarily bad. You just don't want to see grains as the first couple ingredients and really not corn as its pretty useless nutritionally and can be a common allergen.

Named meat and meat meals are good ingredients for the first 2-4 ingredients, remember that like on human food, the higher up the list something is, the greater portion of the product it makes up. "Meal" is not the same as "by-product meal"; "meal" is just a meat concentrate (basically, the water is removed so it doesn't have as much volume) so it is a good thing as far as making up quality protein whereas "by-product meal" is a dry rendered product of slaughterhouse waste so it is generally considered far lower quality.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Named meat and meat meals are good ingredients for the first 2-4 ingredients, remember that like on human food, the higher up the list something is, the greater portion of the product it makes up. "Meal" is not the same as "by-product meal"; "meal" is just a meat concentrate (basically, the water is removed so it doesn't have as much volume) so it is a good thing as far as making up quality protein whereas "by-product meal" is a dry rendered product of slaughterhouse waste so it is generally considered far lower quality.
Not to butt in on this thread, but thank you for this! VERY valuable information to me. My DH convinced me yesterday to go for a food and the first ingredient was chicken meal, and the "meal" part made me reluctant. Guess it isn't so bad after all!! Does this mean I have to tell him he was right ;) lol

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Not to butt in on this thread, but thank you for this! VERY valuable information to me. My DH convinced me yesterday to go for a food and the first ingredient was chicken meal, and the "meal" part made me reluctant. Guess it isn't so bad after all!! Does this mean I have to tell him he was right ;) lol
Hey, I give dog advice, not marital advice :)

But here are the first 4 ingredients of the food I feed : Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes
It has crude protein of not less than 38% which is on the higher side (a plus in my book for an active adult dog)
It is a 5-star food on dogfoodadvisor - and cheaper than several of the other 5 star foods (Earthborn Primitive Natural Not every dog does well on any specific kind of food, but "meat meal" products are nothing to worry about and are probably not much different "meat parts" than some of the chicken nuggets etc found in people's fast food. Of course, I'm also someone who orders tongue tacos and has chowed down on things like sheep's heart :)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Hey, I give dog advice, not marital advice :)

But here are the first 4 ingredients of the food I feed : Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes
It has crude protein of not less than 38% which is on the higher side (a plus in my book for an active adult dog)
It is a 5-star food on dogfoodadvisor - and cheaper than several of the other 5 star foods (Earthborn Primitive Natural Not every dog does well on any specific kind of food, but "meat meal" products are nothing to worry about and are probably not much different "meat parts" than some of the chicken nuggets etc found in people's fast food. Of course, I'm also someone who orders tongue tacos and has chowed down on things like sheep's heart :)
My DH is quite happy to be right, I don't mind admiting it though....this time lol
That looks like a good food, we've been told to stay on fairly low protein for now with "large breed puppy" although we've gone to a regular puppy food with the Horizon Complete, it has 30%, which seems to be a decent balance between the low protein for a large puppy and enough protein for an active growing pup.
Tongue tacos!! Sheep heart! wow, stronger guts that I've got!

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I recommend that you ask the breeder for a small bag of the Purina puppy chow to last a week or two. If not, buy a small bag at the store. You can find it nearly anywhere. Then, at the same time, also buy the food that you would like to switch to.

1. Purina is not a quality food, but it is not bad. It's about the same as Science Diet in quality.
2. However, it's a good idea to feed the puppy the same food for about a week, while he's getting used to everything else.
3. After a week or two, start the gradual process of switching from Purina to the better brand -
A. Mix 80% Purina with 20% New brand and feed for a couple of days
B. Mix 60% Purina with 40% New brand and feed for a couple of days
C. Mix 40% Purina with 60% New brand and feed for a couple of days
D. Mix 20% Purina with 80% New brand and feed for a couple of days
E. Feed 100% of the new brand. (Just a recommendation, not critical)
4. This way you minimize the chance for an upset stomach.

On the other hand, I feed my Lab mix Purina Pro, however he is part goat, and eats grass, sticks, hard rubber bones, carrots, steamed beans, grasshoppers, some of his bedding, and cardboard ... with no ill effects.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice guys. I actually ordered some Blue Buffalo for small puppy breeds on the internet. I will definitely take your advice hanksimon on how to mix it, thank you!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was talked into buying Science Diet puppy food at the pet store today. ...... I am also pissed off because it has dried beet pulp in it which apparently causes tear stains. Abbie
Hey....my little Mini Schnauzer-Shih Tzu mix, Missy, was also on Science Diet Puppy...she tears up all the time and it colors the fur around her eyes reddish. I have to wash her little face about 3 times a week to get the gunk off. Is THAT caused from beet pulp in the food??? I had NO idea. She goes to the vet today for a booster and I was going to ask him about it. I just went yesterday and got a different food and am mixing about half and half until she gets used to it. I got her "Nature's Recipe Puppy Lamb Meal & Rice Recipe". It appeared to have the most vitamins in it....but it's almost like sampling perfume. You forget what you just read on the other labels. It's SOOOO confusing with all the food out there. :doh: I think I was in PetCo for at least a half an hour reading food labels. My vet said Science Diet Puppy was just fine for her....but I'm not sure I believe that now. What's the scoop on the Nature's Recipe? AARRGGGGHHHHH

I also have another question. I have NO idea how much or how often I should fee her now. She's about 5 lb. and is 3 months old. I also have several treat-dispensing toys that I give her off and on during the day to keep her occupied....so that gives her food too. I never put treats in them...only her food. The bag says from 1 to 2-1/2 cups a day but doesn't give any info on the size of the puppy....just age. I also steam baby carrots and mash one into her food just for her morning meal....and in that same meal I put about a teaspoon of various recipes of "Blue Buffalo" canned food. Also (sigh!) I cook beef liver about once a week and give her a bit of that and save the juice in the pan, add water to it, and warm it up to add to her morning meal. And here I am eating toast!! Go figure! :wink: Any feedback on this? Thanks. I don't want to overfeed her.

·
Registered
175 Posts
puppy with watery eyes...and food question.

I originally posted this as a reply to another post....but I thought maybe I should make it a new threat so it might be seen better. Here is what I posted:

Originally Posted by Abbie_Hope
I was talked into buying Science Diet puppy food at the pet store today. ...... I am also pissed off because it has dried beet pulp in it which apparently causes tear stains. Abbie

Hey....my little Mini Schnauzer-Shih Tzu mix, Missy, was also on Science Diet Puppy...she tears up all the time and it colors the fur around her eyes reddish. I have to wash her little face about 3 times a week to get the gunk off. Is THAT caused from beet pulp in the food??? I had NO idea. She goes to the vet today for a booster and I was going to ask him about it. I just went yesterday and got a different food and am mixing about half and half until she gets used to it. I got her "Nature's Recipe Puppy Lamb Meal & Rice Recipe". It appeared to have the most vitamins in it....but it's almost like sampling perfume. You forget what you just read on the other labels. It's SOOOO confusing with all the food out there. AARRGGGGHHHHH!!! :doh: I think I was in PetCo for at least a half an hour reading food labels. My vet said Science Diet Puppy was just fine for her....but I'm not sure I believe that now. What's the scoop on the Nature's Recipe?

I also have another question. I have NO idea how much or how often I should fee her now. She's about 5 lb. and is 3 months old. I also have several treat-dispensing toys that I give her off and on during the day to keep her occupied....so that gives her food too. I never put treats in them...only her food. The bag says from 1 to 2-1/2 cups a day but doesn't give any info on the size of the puppy....just age. I also steam baby carrots and mash one into her food just for her morning meal....and in that same meal I put about a teaspoon of various recipes of "Blue Buffalo" canned food. Also (sigh!) I cook beef liver about once a week and give her a bit of that and save the juice in the pan, add water to it, and warm it up to add to her morning meal. And here I am eating toast!! Go figure! Any feedback on this? Thanks. I don't want to overfeed her.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Re: puppy with watery eyes...and food question.

I don't think you made another thread :)

Call the Vet and ask for the recommended amount to feed... or call the 800 number on the side of the package. I imagine about 1.5 cups will be OK, but I'm not sure... BTW... can I come live with you, sounds like you're a good cook... :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re: puppy with watery eyes...and food question.

BTW... can I come live with you, sounds like you're a good cook... :)

HA, HA!!! Thanks for the morning chuckle. :laugh: Yep....come on over. There's plenty of liver for everyone. :rockon: Missy had a vet visit last week for her booster shot and Advantage-Multi and come to find out, the watery eyes was from hair getting into her eyes....like we get an eyelash in ours. She's so "fluffy" with her baby fur.... they trimmed all around her eyes and around her bottom to get the hair out of her way. She still has some tearing up though...I noticed it last night. I don't know if she's allergic to something or it's just her. But now it doesn't get matted. I was washing her face every other day. But....I digress. About the food. He said I could 'back off' a bit. She gained over 3 pounds in a month....from 3 pounds to 6-1/2 pounds. :doh: So I'm putting less food in her bowl. Hey....know where I can get an itsy bitsy, teeny, tiny treadmill??
:becky:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts