Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone and done it this time....I was just perusing the trading post like i do all the time, more just to look at the puppies...suddenly I found myself phone in hand, talking to a lady and making a deposit on a cute golden lab puppy...12 hours later...here she sits....i'm still shaking my head....I didn't want a lab, I didn't need a lab...I wasn't going to buy a puppy....I'm bewildered...She was just too cute, and yes reg breeder not backyard bred....omg she's so cute, I am now poor though :eek:....her name is maggie, I'll post pics soon...still scratching head...the ultimate impulse buy....:D

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I'm not quite sure I understand how one goes from wanting to start breeding rat terriers to getting a lab puppy.
I can't imagine getting a puppy on impulse. There is so much preparation to do beforehand, whether you're familiar with dogs or not.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but I just had to be honest about this one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've gone and done it this time....I was just perusing the trading post like i do all the time, more just to look at the puppies...suddenly I found myself phone in hand, talking to a lady and making a deposit on a cute golden lab puppy...12 hours later...here she sits....i'm still shaking my head....I didn't want a lab, I didn't need a lab...I wasn't going to buy a puppy....I'm bewildered...She was just too cute, and yes reg breeder not backyard bred....omg she's so cute, I am now poor though :eek:....her name is maggie, I'll post pics soon...still scratching head...the ultimate impulse buy....:D
OMG ... can't wait to see pictures. Little golden lab pups are just adorable.

It's amazing how somehow one little doggie will just attach itself to you with nothing more than a picture. As soon as I saw Aiko as a pup just one day old. I wanted him. I knew he was for me. Almost like fate. Except I dont believe in fate.... but I do believe in love at first sight!

Congratulations on your new puppy. I bet she's a doll.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well why not, life is short, i have the facilities and the means....all my dogs have been impulse buys apart from the border collie who was a rescue....don't see what the big deal is, I love dogs, why not have more! here comes pet therapy WOOOHOOOOO! and she is so cute Aiko :D

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Yikes, sounds scary to me! Anything with the word "impulse" in it stresses out my type-A mind, lol.

Now is Maggie a Yellow Lab or Golden Retriever?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Congrats on the new puppy

and yes reg breeder not backyard bred....omg she's so cute,
You decided on a whim to just call a breeder, place money down, and come home with a puppy the same day? I HIGHLY doubt that that puppy came from anything but a BYB. What health test were done on the parents? Did you sign a contract? What did you contract say?

I haven't met a reputable breeder that would allow ANY of what you have said. A puppy should NEVER be on impulse. Puppies are a TON of commitment.

*sighs*

Enjoy the new pup.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
things are different in australia....the puppy is main registered with the AKNC. She had two girls left and I went out and bought one, not hard to do.

and what is so wrong with BYB anyway...obviously America is different from Australia as BYB dogs aren't a problem here and the main way to get a pup is through a BYB, but as Labs are big dogs I make points to get them from reg breeders,with tested parents...which they were.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
and what is so wrong with BYB anyway
Lol, did you really just ask that? Surely you've been here long enough to have a general gist of that conversation! Do a quick forum search for "backyard breeding" and brush up on the topic.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
LMAO BYBs aren't a problem in Australia.

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

Are you for real? Becaues they're definitely a problem that gets brought up with lots of grumbling and headshaking and disapproval on ALL the Australia-based lists I'm on (3- two breed lists and 1 sport list that's based htere; the German Spitz is much more common there than here.)

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
and yes reg breeder not backyard bred
No reputable breeder will sell someone a puppy when they've only talked to them on the phone once. They care where their puppies go, so most won't sell to strangers.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
No reputable breeder will sell someone a puppy when they've only talked to them on the phone once. They care where their puppies go, so most won't sell to strangers.
I have to completely agree with this one. Nell had come from a reputable breeder just over the mountains from here and was sold to a gal that really wanted a BC to train in herding and for her small farm. So she got her. Well, she didn't have the time for her and contacted the breeder, which knew I was looking for a BC, and the breeder called me and asked if I was still interested in a BC. I said yes, so she got me in contact with this gal and I got Nell from her. Since then, the breeder has been in contact with me all the time and is really appreciative of all my emails, letting her know how Nell is doing and all the pics. She even sent me Nell's puppy pics from when she was born. Nell came from very caring people, and the mom and dad are fully tested for everything BC's should be tested for, and are top quality BC's. And with having a Cattle Dog when Nell became available, she knew that I would be the perfect home for her, as I'm a pretty active person and love active dogs. And then when I was in Agility Foundations with Nell, come to find out, I found out that one of the other BC's in the class was Nell's cousin. So now the 3 of us keep in constant contact. So, a good reputable breeder is not only one that tests the parents, but also cares about where their pups go, and won't sell them to just anyone that passes by or calls.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
When you say Golden Lab, do you mean yellow lab or a golden lab mix?

By the way being a registered breeder in Oz or anywhere else for that matter does not mean the breeder is reputable or even of any quality worth paying for. I don't know the exact requirements to be a registered breeder in Oz, and I belive it varies by state, but typicaly it just means they register thier pups and possibly don't overbreed thier bitches.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Do the parent dogs have their hip x-rays certified (by whatever certifying body exists in Aus.)? Labs have such a high incidence of hip dysplasia.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts