Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend and I are in the midst of a bad break up.
I'm not giving her enough affection, I'm not spending all my time with her.. Blah, blah, blah.
I'm 19, she's 25. We've lived together now for the past 10 months.
We have a 11 month old puppy together.

She paid $45.00 for the puppy on craigslist. There are no records or paperwork showing that she paid for the pup.
Since she bought the dog, I have provided all of it's food, toys, a sweater at one time in life, leashes, tags, and beds.

My girlfriend-er-ex girlfriend refuses to take her to a vet to get her vaccinated and spayed.

On July 4th we had a fight. She took the dog, without telling me, to her mom's house and the dog is still there to this day. I have no visitation rights or anything. She is the only one that gets to see her.
Her reasoning is silly.. Because she's jealous of the attention the pup gets from me..

I really want the dog. I care for her, I pay for everything, she listens to me more than she listens to her, and it's obvious the dog is more in "love" with me than she is with her.
My ex beat the crap out of her a few times. I mean, BEAT her.
She also gave the dog alcohol on two occasions.. And has blown smoke, weed and hookah, in the dogs face on a couple occasions.
And her roommate is a constant weed smoker.

I work at a vet's office and I take that dog everywhere with me.
She means the world to me and I'm going insane without her.
I don't know what I'm supposed to do.
I want custody of that dog.
What is the best route for me to take?
We have no papers what-so-ever on her.
I want to get her spayed and vaccinated and registered.
I just don't know what to do.
I'm at a complete loss and I need some help.
How can I get my dog baby back? ):
:redface:

·
Registered
475 Posts
There really is no route to take unfortunately. I don't know what you want. Do you want to go to court? You can, but the dog is not a person. The dog is "property". You can try to take her to small claims court but only if you can prove somehow that you own the dog. With no papers or records, I don't see how you plan on doing that.

This is the nature of getting pets (and frankly having children) with people you aren't married to as far as I'm concerned: You have no rights when a breakup goes down, where at least in a divorce there might be some legal recourse about "shared property" and maybe even figure something out with the dog.

But right now? Right now this is akin your girlfriend taking the x-box with her and you having no receipts to prove who owns it. No court or judge is going to rule on hear-say, though they might order the property liquidated and the resulting funds split between the parties. That's not exactly what you're going for I'd imagine.

Your situation is sad but the reality is much sadder. You have very few options.

Your best option is to reason with her, but she sounds unreasonable. Try reasoning with the parents maybe if they are more reasonable people?

In the end, you may have to chalk this up to some poor life decisions (surely there were some CLUES before this point that your girlfriend was entirely unreasonable.. like I don't know, BEATING the dog?!). It's tough to learn the hard way and it's a shame for the dog most of all.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd try to reason with her, then try to buy the dog back, then threaten to go to the police with animal abuse charges, then if you still don't have the dog... either give up or if she ever lets you in the house just take the dog. I would if I thought it was being abused or neglected.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Do you have receipts for the things you bought for the dog? Did you take her to the vet and make the appointment in your name? Do you have photos of you and the dog together? I would think that should be enough to prove ownership.

If not, offer the ex money for it (as above) then take it straight to the vet and have it microchipped and registered in your name.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Sorry to hear you're in this situation!

So, if I'm reading all these posts correctly... It wouldn't be illegal to just walk into her house one day and take the dog? Not suggesting this or anything, just wondering if it would count as stealing in this case.

EDIT: I mean, walking into anyone's house and taking anything would be stealing...
But would said gf be able to get the OP in trouble by going to the authorities and saying he stole her dog, if there was no record of either person owning it to begin with?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Sorry to hear you're in this situation!

So, if I'm reading all these posts correctly... It wouldn't be illegal to just walk into her house one day and take the dog? Not suggesting this or anything, just wondering if it would count as stealing in this case.

EDIT: I mean, walking into anyone's house and taking anything would be stealing...
But would said gf be able to get the OP in trouble by going to the authorities and saying he stole her dog, if there was no record of either person owning it to begin with?
Breaking and entering is illegal.

Now if the girl had a habit of letting the dog roam free and he HAPPENED to come by, call the dog to him, and take it home without ever encroaching on her property...it might be harder.

But going onto her property and taking anything is trespassing/breaking and entering

That being said, OP, being newly single myself and having gotten my dog with an ex, I can tell you that the reality of having a puppy is much more difficult once you're single. I would play nice with her... but keep an eye out. If you can get any sort of evidence that she is ABUSING the dog, you should report it - but really, I would try to play nice and ask for the dog back when she gets overstressed by having it.

There've been plenty of times I would've given my ex Brady if he'd asked...because having a dog is freaking HARD WORK...let alone having a puppy.

But he's a dead beat and moved across the country, so yeah...I keep the dog

·
Registered
229 Posts
Breaking and entering is illegal.

Now if the girl had a habit of letting the dog roam free and he HAPPENED to come by, call the dog to him, and take it home without ever encroaching on her property...it might be harder.

But going onto her property and taking anything is trespassing/breaking and entering

That being said, OP, being newly single myself and having gotten my dog with an ex, I can tell you that the reality of having a puppy is much more difficult once you're single. I would play nice with her... but keep an eye out. If you can get any sort of evidence that she is ABUSING the dog, you should report it - but really, I would try to play nice and ask for the dog back when she gets overstressed by having it.

There've been plenty of times I would've given my ex Brady if he'd asked...because having a dog is freaking HARD WORK...let alone having a puppy.

But he's a dead beat and moved across the country, so yeah...I keep the dog
I'm in a relationship but I swear you'd think I was single as far as puppy care goes! He wants the joy of playing with the dog and I get the training and and housebreaking aggravation! No fair!

I'd risk getting arrested to save the dog and hope that the judge is an animal lover lol. Unfortunately if they somehow had a "custody" lawsuit over this she is a 25 year old woman who bought the dog, and he is a 19 year old teenager... its her word against his. So maybe offering her money for the dog is the best bet. Maybe he could threaten her to call the cops on her for the dog abuse AND the drugs... I don't know if he could actually do get the cops to go check, but it might scare her? I don't know.. if she really is that abusive I'm trying to think of anything! Maybe the dog could "accidentally" get loose and happen to find its way home...? Probably best to not do anything illegal for real though. Maybe sweet talk her back into the relationship, then take the dog somewhere else and break up with her haha.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you've gotten tags for the dog, are you referring to rabies tags? You work in a vet office so I would expect that you had at least the initial set of shots done? Did you put that under your name?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts