Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I go out with the dogs, everyone we meet asks what they are. Now, 2 of the 3 are purebred - so I *could* reasonably answer. The third is Kylie. I don't have the first idea what she is, really. Oh, I could make a reasonable guess and all, but at this point?

My answer (as of tonight and the walk around the block) is to look at them like they're nuts and say 'Dogs'. If they catch onto the fact that 'what are they' is vague, they follow up with 'What kind?' and I say 'big eared ones'.

I. We all make our own fun, right?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Lol! if I seriously want to know I ask what breed of dogs are they. I have never got a snarky comment at that. BUT people have asked me if Tank is a great dane mix and I answered "Am I an alien?" I was really bored that day and out of state so I had to have some fun :) I need to think of one for if someone asks if I am going to breed Bentley. So far I have got "I gotta sew is balls back on, get him health clearances, and prove him in the some kind of venue" But it aint really snarky just giving information in a weird way,lol.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Lol! if I seriously want to know I ask what breed of dogs are they. I have never got a snarky comment at that. BUT people have asked me if Tank is a great dane mix and I answered "Am I an alien?"
If people seriously, seriously asked what kind of breed they were, I'd be happy to answer 'Rat, Boston, Mutt'. But for some reason, particularly with Kylie, it inspires a 'I wonder what she is' conversations. I LOVE breed guessing online, but if I'm just trying to get that last walk in, and it's dark outside, *and* I don't know you? Not so much, and the answer is going to, apparently, get increasingly snarky.

(As an aside, I think 'designer dogs' have made people more unwilling to accept 'mutt' as an answer. They're looking for some cutesy name - and even if I knew what she was, I wouldn't go there. It grates on my nerves.)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
My recent favorite thing to do, which entertains me and ONLY me, is to follow the question "What is s/he mixed with?" with "BEAR." I laugh every time, my boyfriend frowns every time.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My recent favorite thing to do, which entertains me and ONLY me, is to follow the question "What is s/he mixed with?" with "BEAR." I laugh every time, my boyfriend frowns every time.
...I may borrow that, except substitute something like SQUIRREL in. Or Wolverine. Badger?

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The beauty is you can switch it up with any animal. The most adverse reaction I've gotten was when I said "A man."
...I bet your boyfriends face at that one was exciting, too.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
LOL, I do the same thing with those that ask "Do they/Will they bite", usually it's "only a little" or something along those lines.

Really the fun with my dogs is, actually telling people the breed and watching them try to sound it out, I have heard plenty of funny butchering of the pronunciation over the years.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, I do the same thing with those that ask "Do they/Will they bite", usually it's "only a little" or something along those lines.

Really the fun with my dogs is, actually telling people the breed and watching them try to sound it out, I have heard plenty of funny butchering of the pronunciation over the years.
I ran into a gorgeous, gorgeous Weim in the feedstore. I got permission to pet him and then asked if he was a weimaraner - which, redundant, but we've got a lot of people doing the 'silver lab' bullshit around. He thanked me for not calling his dog a Weemeraner. I love it when I meet a dog person with a sense of humor.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I usually try to be nice because it's not Random Person X's fault that they're the fifth person in a row to ask what Casper is. I've taken to just saying "yes" when they ask if he's a miniature husky, because that's close enough and I'm tired of people making me repeat "Alaskan Klee Kai" three times or acting skeptical, like they think he's really some designer dog and I'm using a cutesy mix name.

A girl annoyed me the other day, though -- it was after midnight, I was walking Crystal and Casper, and this girl came bursting out of her house and startled the dogs, causing Crystal to bark. Then she started following along behind us asking questions to my back. "Those are beautiful dogs! Where did you get them? How old are they? Is that one friendly? Oh, what about that one?" I answered all the questions but did not stop walking or even turn around; it was obvious that I didn't want to talk. Last question she asked was, "Is that one a husky pup or something?" I just said "kind of" and walked faster.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
sometimes the PR side of me slips when i have bubba working out with his vest in public. "what kind of dog is he?" a student stops and asks me as shes putting her hand in his face and jerking it away repeatedly. We're really working on him not being mouthy, and this approach combined with little squeals every time he licked her was not helping.

freudian slip kicks in: "he's part lab, part golden, and part shark."

With my regular dogs, I normally just start listing off breeds and dont shut up. "OOOOH he's black and white so cute! what kind of dog is he?" gets "this is toby, hes a labrador border collie greyhound spaniel mix and we think he might have some mutt in him, as well. he's also got some vacuum cleaner and some sort of farting animal thrown in there. "

after that they don't even try to ask what hattie is :)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
. . .it was after midnight, I was walking Crystal and Casper, and this girl came bursting out of her house and startled the dogs, causing Crystal to bark. Then she started following along behind us asking questions to my back. . .
Not gonna lie, that's a little creepy.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I usually try to be nice because it's not Random Person X's fault that they're the fifth person in a row to ask what Casper is. I've taken to just saying "yes" when they ask if he's a miniature husky, because that's close enough and I'm tired of people making me repeat "Alaskan Klee Kai" three times or acting skeptical, like they think he's really some designer dog and I'm using a cutesy mix name.

A girl annoyed me the other day, though -- it was after midnight, I was walking Crystal and Casper, and this girl came bursting out of her house and startled the dogs, causing Crystal to bark. Then she started following along behind us asking questions to my back. "Those are beautiful dogs! Where did you get them? How old are they? Is that one friendly? Oh, what about that one?" I answered all the questions but did not stop walking or even turn around; it was obvious that I didn't want to talk. Last question she asked was, "Is that one a husky pup or something?" I just said "kind of" and walked faster.
One time I yelled off a balcony at my friend's apartment at a guy with a Pap. It was the first one I saw in real life and I got excited. :(

·
Registered
591 Posts
When people meet Guapo who is a yorkiepoo they ask " WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT " I calmly tell them he is a cross between a gremlin and an ewok . Actually that is a pretty good descripion of the little guy !

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have started having a bit of fun with 4 or 5 questions I get everytime I'm out with my Dachshunds...

"How do you know they're deaf?" Usually gets a response of "Because they cant hear?" from me

"Do they Bark?" Usually get's a "When I'm not around to beat them for it" though I'm careful with this one LOL I only use it when I'm talking to people who've already seen how not beaten Mouse and Boo are LOL. the alternative response is "Is it possible to teach a Dachshund to not bark?" (They're pretty quiet though honestly LOL)

"How do you teach them to come?" is a favorite... "Uh, you dont? they cant hear remember?" LOL I usually then qualify the statement about teaching them "come" with handsignals, vibrations, lights and so on.

"Are they Albino?". I haven't found any funny way to explain this one, so I just say, no, true albinism doesn't exist in dogs, and if they seem interested I explain the merle gene

"What are they mixed with?" "Are they Brother and Sisiter" and "I've never seen one that colour!" are all related and the first 2 drive me bonkers most days, so get very short replies of "They're purebred Dachshunds", "No", and the third question is usually how I end up telling people they're disabled to begin with, so I answer seriously. "Dachshunds come in every colour under the sun, though this colour is especially rare because they're often born deaf or blind or both, breeders usually kill them right away. then I go on and answer all the above questions LOL

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
One time I yelled off a balcony at my friend's apartment at a guy with a Pap. It was the first one I saw in real life and I got excited. :(
Haha, I always answer people who yell out compliments or questions about the dogs! I just don't like it when people completely disregard the fact that I'm not interested in stopping and follow along behind me asking questions (this wasn't the first time). Especially if they startle my dogs and the dogs are barking at them... just go away, random person!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
How about when they don't ask ... and offer to tell you what your dog's mix is ... and that it turned out really nice ... and then proceed to tell you what your dog "could" do to you!? Lol!

Not kidding ... happened at the vets office! Lol! I was basically warned that Abbylynn would eat me for lunch!

·
Registered
37 Posts
...I may borrow that, except substitute something like SQUIRREL in. Or Wolverine. Badger?
I met a man once out in town with a cute little fluff that he swore up and down was half fox, half pom... that his pom had been bred by a fox... I just nodded and thought 'foxes can't breed with dogs, buddy'...

I get asked all the time what the girls are, and sometimes get told "oh look at the border collies!" Close enough. Strangely enough, no one called Shelby a Border Collie until we got Duckie. Now they just assume they're related.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I ran into a gorgeous, gorgeous Weim in the feedstore. I got permission to pet him and then asked if he was a weimaraner - which, redundant, but we've got a lot of people doing the 'silver lab' bullshit around. He thanked me for not calling his dog a Weemeraner. I love it when I meet a dog person with a sense of humor.
Yeah and I have heard worse than weemeraner.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts