Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would any parents allow their 6/7 year old daughter have a dog by herself in public when it's aggressive towards other dogs!!?? I was walking Dakota tonight and I spotted a little girl with her dog so I figure fine, I was on the same sidewalk so I had to pass them, this dog gave no warning and bolted to Dakota trying to bite her face and the poor little girl was struggling to keep a hold of the leash. I got Dakota to settle down and sit as she was quite caught off guard by the attack and then told the girl to take her dog back now. I am so PO'd that her parents let her alone with the dog when she couldn't handle him! I mean Dakota is a big puppy but she is still a puppy and she handled herself well thank god

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I wouldn't let a 6 or 7 year old out alone to walk period...dog or not. The parents are just purely irresponsible, imo. I won't even let my 10 and 11 year old niece and nephew walk my dogs when they are out in public. Too much could go wrong.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. There was also some people in a car nearby that seen it and were looking at me like it was my fault and MY dogs fault. I'm thinking because mine is more than twice the size of the other dog they automatically think worse of the bigger one:mad:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I agree. There was also some people in a car nearby that seen it and were looking at me like it was my fault and MY dogs fault. I'm thinking because mine is more than twice the size of the other dog they automatically think worse of the bigger one:mad:
Maybe, but I'd be tempted to give them the "finger of education." :D Not really, but I would be tempted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I understand how you feel i just got a Aussie puppy, was walking him and another dog jumped the fence and came after us, had to give the other dog the boot with and had the puppy in my arms, the owners were outside but took them a few mins to get there then they just took there dog and didn't say anything.

Bobby

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
heck I don't let anyONE walk my dog let alone any child.

sorry but let a kid walk the dog should be a privilaged, supervised responsibility that comes with age...like 13 would be ok in my mind to hold the leash as the adult walks beside...

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya the mood I was in after that I should of went up to the car and asked them if they had problem and bring it on!!! That was the icing on the cake yesterday, earlier in the morning about 8:30 am I woke up to squeeling tires a crash, squeeling tires again and then a bunch of bangs and kids at my window shouting " A kid just hit your truck and took off and we know who did it!" We live next to a high school and elementary school and there's not much for cops (I've complained about that) so I went outside and sure enough the front end was smashed:mad: and to think I just parked it on the side of the street for awhile so the sap from the trees in the driveway didn't get all over it. This kid was mad at his girlfriend after dropping her off at school and blew the stop sign, turned the corner and lost control and left the scene! SOB! Bad day yesterday:(

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I'm sorry you had such an awful day yesterday.

My husband and I have actually had minor disagreements on this issue, on what age is appropriate for our kids to start walking the dogs. They are 10 and 8, and I think they are both still too young. My 10 year old can walk with me and hold a leash, but the 8 year old doesn't get to hold a leash yet. Our dogs aren't DA, but we have been attacked by another dog on a walk, and I would never put my kid in a situation of having to deal with that alone. I see it quite a bit though, little kids walking dogs, so there are people who think it's ok.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to admit with our other dog I would let my then 11 year old daughter take her to the school grounds and play, it's right across the street from our house. She was a bossy kid and I knew she was the boss of the dog:rolleyes: That was 10 years ago:eek: gee I feel old

1 - 11 of 11 Posts