Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I was driving down the busy main highway here in town and as I passed the road my old high school is on, I had to slam my breaks because there was a yorkie in the road! I was so lucky the guy behind me wasn't riding my bumper, 'cause he would've rear-ended me for sure! When I was stopped, ALL I could do was honk my horn, wait for the dog to get out of the way, go, and HOPE he didn't get hit because he kept walking away from where his "owner" was standing in her front yard calling him... So as I pulled away, after the dog got out of the way, I yelled at her that she needs to keep her dog on a leash. I don't get people... WHY, if you HAVE a fenced in backyard, would you let your dog LOOSE in your unfenced front yard!? This woman was just standing in the middle of her yard, calling this dog! She didn't make any move to come get him(he stood right in front of me for 3-4 minutes) and he obviously wasn't listening to anything coming out of her mouth... And he was an old dog too... How he made it so long with such an idiot owner, I dunno.... Some people just do NOT need to own dogs.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm glad you weren't hit and neither was the poor dog! Sounds like a close call for sure. In fairness to the owner though, is it possible that she was deliberately not running after her dog in the hopes that she wouldn't drive him farther away? A lot of dogs will only run farther away from you and faster if you chase them. Could he have gotten out by accident? Although I can totally understand your frustration and upset, there could be an innocent reason for the dog being out front...maybe not though. There ARE indeed a lot of idiots in this world.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Glad nothing came of it. Could it be possible that the dog darted out the door or broke off it's leash and being old could even be deaf? Agreed ,the lady should have been out there picking up the dog but we don't always know what the situation really is. Just sayin'

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, this isn't a first. I talked to a few of my friends who live around that area yesterday, and they said it's a common thing. They always see that dog in or near the road. And they said it was a wonder the owner was even out there because they've seen her just open up the door and let him right out... And if he was deaf, she definitely didn't know it because she was calling him like he could hear.

·
Registered
472 Posts
This makes me so mad. I live in an apartment complex so, granted, there is no fenced back yard, but one would think that would encourage the use of leashes. Nope. A family who lives above me own what I think is a chihuahua terrier mix (they claim he's got greyhound in him, but I don't see it). They NEVER leash him. EVER. In fact, half the time the dog is outside the owner is nowhere to be found. They literally just open their door and let him out to run wherever he wants to. And he likes to run in the street, on the basketball court, all over the complex. He poops wherever he wants and they aren't there to pick it up. He won't leave my dog alone, either.

The other day, he ran into the street chasing me when I was throwing out my garbage. Thankfully, no cars were driving past. I keep telling his owners to leash him and not to let him out alone. But nothing has changed. The apartment complex has a rule on leashing dogs, and they've been warned. In fact, the complex sent out a flyer on liability and leashing dogs BECAUSE my neighbors haven't been leashing their dog. So far, the complex hasn't done more than that, though. It's a tragedy waiting to happen.

·
Registered
149 Posts
"And if he was deaf, she definitely didn't know it because she was calling him like he could hear. "

Lol, good point. Although, call me crazy, I always still talked/called to my Pug after he became deaf while using hand signals.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, this isn't a first. I talked to a few of my friends who live around that area yesterday, and they said it's a common thing. They always see that dog in or near the road. And they said it was a wonder the owner was even out there because they've seen her just open up the door and let him right out... And if he was deaf, she definitely didn't know it because she was calling him like he could hear.
Well in that case yes, she deserves to be shaken and it's a wonder the dog hasn't' been killed yet. We have dogs that run loose around here too, dog aggressive dogs. It can be scary walking down my streets let me tell ya. It's too bad common sense wasn't mandatory to dog owners. I would be horrified if I ever hit a dog.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I would have gotten out of the car and caught the dog and returned it to the owner with a few stern words...like, "How did he get loose on such a busy road?" If the owner says they let him out, then I would tell them that if I see the dog loose again, I am picking it up and taking it to AC if it's off your property. If you have a leash law, you might call AC and file a complaint, and maybe they will go talk to the owner.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I understand this all too well. Saturday my Dad and I had a teeny tiny white Pomeranian chase our truck and we had to stop and let it inside to avoid anyone running her over. A "so-called" dog sitter let her out by herself right in the middle of town. We drove around until we found the darn sitter.......and needless to say I gave him a piece of my mind because the old woman who entrusted him would have been devastated if she came home to a dead dog! Some people..........................................

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I don't usually do much if there is a loose dog as a lot of people around here just turn them loose but one day I was driving home and there was a little Maltese on the road. I stopped and picked her up and she had a phone number on her tag. I tried to phone from my cell phone but no answer so I took her home. Tried for several hours and finally got hold a a young girl and she told me where she lived. It was not far from my place but in the opposite direction to where the dog was heading.

When I took her back I realized it was a place that used to have a Chihuahua that was always on the road. It disappeared, then they had a Chihuahua puppy that I almost ran over when in darted out of the ditch on the opposite side of the road to where they were, thought it was a squirrel but don't like to run over them either. It is also gone and now they have the little Maltese that just runs loose. They have a fenced yard but no gate so of course, the dog can just run out on the road. Wonder how long this one is going to last!! Some people should just not have dogs.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm glad you weren't hit and neither was the poor dog! Sounds like a close call for sure. In fairness to the owner though, is it possible that she was deliberately not running after her dog in the hopes that she wouldn't drive him farther away? A lot of dogs will only run farther away from you and faster if you chase them. Could he have gotten out by accident? Although I can totally understand your frustration and upset, there could be an innocent reason for the dog being out front...maybe not though. There ARE indeed a lot of idiots in this world.
Yeah. Dexter escapes once in a while (like maybe every three months or so). He does have a tendency to stand on the road, waiting for me to chase him. It's not deliberate, it drives me insane with worries, but hey...it happens!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
At the very least, I'd be stopping traffic while trying to get the dog.

Where I'm at it's usually not bad, there have been few loose dogs here and there. I've gone from looking for the owners and calling the tag, to now I'll watch for someone walking around looking (if I can I take the dog in so it's safe), but if nobody seems to be looking and I don't see a flyer up within 12 hours, the dog is going to the spca and I'll post a flyer saying that's where the dog is. Too many times I've taken in a dog and the owners KNOW the dog is missing but aren't out looking - in one case the guy was standing out front when a worker left the gate open and the dog got out. I had the dog ALL day before someone came down the street to get him too. Or they'll say 'just let him out, he'll come home when he's hungry'.... so now I'm not as nice to 'those' owners.

Lana

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
One of my friend's lives in a neighborhood where this is a constant. I have to drive like 10 MPH because chances are a dog will run out in front of the car. I almost killed a Boxer by a few inches and almost accidentally stole a Chihuahua because he was just hanging out in the middle of no where with no collar and I went to put him in my car when the owners came out yelling "That's our dog, that's our dog!"

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I hadn't already been late for a doctors appointment, I probably would've stopped and got him out of the road... But also, out here, it's not uncommon for people to just let their dogs wonder... They think "Oh, it's a dog, they're meant to do what dogs do..." :/

·
Registered
533 Posts
One of my friend's lives in a neighborhood where this is a constant. I have to drive like 10 MPH because chances are a dog will run out in front of the car. I almost killed a Boxer by a few inches and almost accidentally stole a Chihuahua because he was just hanging out in the middle of no where with no collar and I went to put him in my car when the owners came out yelling "That's our dog, that's our dog!"
I would have told them to prove it or I'd be taking it in as stray. I can't stand people ho don't put name tags on their dogs' collars.

That's really, really sad. My dogs very rarely get out. That being said I live in a very, very quiet neighborhood and DO let my dogs out in the front yard with me when I take out the trash or grab the mail. Only Jetta and Taz are allowed to go with me and they know their bonderies/rules very clearly and I've never had to call them out from the road.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I would have told them to prove it or I'd be taking it in as stray. I can't stand people ho don't put name tags on their dogs' collars.

That's really, really sad. My dogs very rarely get out. That being said I live in a very, very quiet neighborhood and DO let my dogs out in the front yard with me when I take out the trash or grab the mail. Only Jetta and Taz are allowed to go with me and they know their bonderies/rules very clearly and I've never had to call them out from the road.
Ehh.. I really love dogs, but I also really love not getting the crap kicked out of me. Not the best neighborhood to try it in.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Diddo that. I just witnessed some young punk yelling at his pit bull who was trying to get at Luke through the park fence. He was pulling on the leash so hard I thought his eyes would pop out. The jerk grabs a hold of the dog, screams in it's ear cursing at him and pretty roughly throws him back to the ground. I'm standing there...blood BOILING. The guy knew I was pissed, but I've learned from living in this neighborhood, you have to be VERY careful. We're dealing with crack dealers, drunks, violent people who are brawling in the streets all day and night, with dogs that want to rip you and your dogs apart. No matter how badly I wanted to take that guy and smash his head in...I have a son to think of, and my own dog who they wouldn't think twice of hurting if they could get at him somehow. Not to mention you tick these guys off they'll burn your place down. So I bit my tongue. And boy did it hurt.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I always want to give ppl the benefit of the doubt on most things that I can't prove or didn't see happen, you know? But unfortunately that's not always the case :(. But I would like the same done for me, I guess

1 - 18 of 18 Posts