Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All in all we (me, hubby & Romeo a 4 month old mini schnauzer who we got May 11th) three are all doing well with a few hick ups here and there as we journey down the puppy path :)

The biggest area I KNOW I am messing up in is one word "move". Like most puppies Romeo likes to be with me 24/7, which I of course love as well.
So as I go through out the day and do my house hold chores & such he tags along with me to each room/area.

Here is the problem. He gets tired out quite often and will "cat nap" for 5 to 10 minutes and then resume following me. Or he will just flop down and rest for a bit without sleeping.

In time Romeo will be trained to be my service dog due to a spine injury of mine. He will be trained to get things I drop & bring them to me. Due to my spine injury location I drop things a LOT & bending over is very painful for me and takes a lot of work to do.

When I am walking doing my chores I am off balance due to my injury. Romeo is tripping me up by his naps/rest times. Plus he follows me and does not watch where I am going and when I realize I am going to step on him I throw myself even more off balance in attempt to not step on him.

By the evening my "move buddy" "come on Roey move" "move" has turned to "MOVE"! :(

One of us is going to get seriously hurt.

How do I command a move command with out just saying move over and over a hundred times a day ?

I do "push" him VERY lightly, its more of a nudge when I am saying "move". Is this the right way to train him to move - minus the end of the day tone I use (I always feel super bad for doing it )?

Or should he be crated while I am doing chores until he is order?

·
Registered
98 Posts
If its a danger to you I would crate him until he learns he needs to move. I have all three of mine trained to move when I walk by-they're all black or mostly black and I don't want to trip on them in the dark:) . What I do is shuffle my feet when I walk up to them so I don't actually kick them and say 'excuse me'' and when they get up and get out of the way they get praised. A young puppy sleeping will be harder to wake up, so I would work on it when he's not sleeping, and have him put away when you're moving around a lot.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
skitty - that is what I was thinking is the right thing to do. A fall for me could be life changing, so I am VERY careful not to trip. However he does not understand the command yet. How old was yours when they understood "move"

·
Registered
98 Posts
I only have one that I got as a puppy and don't train that specifically, I just do it when it comes up. I would really start working on it more when he's a few months older and doesn't sleep as much or as deeply, its easier to get their attention then, or you could add it to his regular training sessions when he is alert. Mine learned pretty quickly, a few weeks at most, but like I said I don't train it specifically, good luck :)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
One thing that you might try is to teach him to go to a specific place, such as his crate or a rug to sleep on. After you teach that, then you can start to teach him to go to a wash cloth, where ever you put it. Then, you transition so that Move means some specific, such as get up and lie down 5 feet away in a specific direction. I don't have a method for doing this.

·
Registered
630 Posts
It seems to me that a "move" command is not what you want. You can teach him to move easy enough, but you are not telling him where to. He just might move and still be in your way. Teach him the "place" command. That tells him to get up and go to his place (which will be out of your way).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts